hai all - those in Riyadh!

Discussion in 'Indians in Riyadh Province' started by rema devi, Mar 11, 2008.

1. rema devi

rema devi New IL'ite

I am rema devi , Iam a keralite settled in chennai. I was born and brought up in chennai and had my education also here. I hav an M.A., M.Phil degree in English from Presidency College.

My husband is now working in Riyadh.Before this both of us were working in Oman for the past 9 years.We were with the ministry of education.We lived in the south of Oman , in Salalah. It was a lovely place . I resigned my job when my husband got a job in Riyadh. I really miss SalalahRant.My son who is now studying in class 10 really makes me go crazy by whining non-stop:"why did we come away from Salalah? I miss my friends!!!" This and that!
    My son and I are planning to join my husband in Riyadh in 2 weeks time. Just waiting for medical to get over.
    I am interested in listening to music,any melodious songs. I could also paint pictures-water colours,pencil shading , oil painting. Unfortunately i had no time to paint pictures 'coz i was very very busy with my job and household chores. Iam planning to take up my hobbies seriously now that i hav time.
    Hai folks! Now i hav a problem.
    Can anyone tell me how i should be dressed while coming from chennai? Should i wear a purdah right from chennai or wear it as soon as i land there? I hav heard people telling that when we go to or come from the airport th:helpere is no need for a purdah.
    Can I wear a half sleeve salwar kameez?
    Pleaz help

2. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: hai all!

Dear Rama devi,

Welcome to IL. Good to read about you. If you posted this in "Who am I " you would have received many replies. But no problem. As you are new to this site, you dont know where to post. I am also living in Saudi but not in Riyadh, I am living in Al Khobar with my husband. You can see many ILs who are living in Riyadh, by using member search. I think you will open many threads and I am waiting for your contributions.

Comming to your question, you are correct. according to Saudi, you can come without 'Black' (Burka) from India, till you reach your home. Same when you are going to India. But after that where ever you go out you have to wear that. I heard that in Riyadh, they ask all ladies to close even their face. Here in Kobhar, we have to close our heads not face. You check with your husband, or you will come to know about this as soon as you come to Riyadh. Do according to that.

No need to wear 'black' / 'burga' from chennai. Just bring it with you that is enough. yes, you can wear salwar and half sleeve kameez. All the best and when are you comming here. Bon voyage to you and your son.

3. Sage

Sage New IL'ite

Hello, I am in Riyadh and so far I have not had any problems with not wearing niqab. Everyone tells me that 10 years ago I would have faced a lot of problems for not covering my face. I see a lot of women not cover their hair at all, too. But when getting off the plane and heading to customs, I would make sure to cover my hair.

All the best in your uncomping trip. And Saudi is the place for doing hobbies and crafting :)

Sage

4. jayasree05

jayasree05 Senior IL'ite

hai rema
    i could not find the reply button to send u private message.regarding the school, there are so many indian private schools here, but i heard for above 9th classes, embassy school is the best.
    bye
    jayasree

5. rema devi

rema devi New IL'ite

hai Jayasree
    I am not able to send u pvt message because ur profile says u have no contact information. Even I am not able to go to my inbox and sent items. Something wrong? Thanx for the info. about embassy school. Has school reopened for ur son?

6. jayasree05

jayasree05 Senior IL'ite

dear rema
    yes they have made some changes here ;like people with less than 50 post will not be allowed for private message. yes school has reopened for my son from today. any change in your coming date.hope rain has stopped in chennai
    love
    jayasree

7. jayasree05

jayasree05 Senior IL'ite

hai rema
    hope u have reached riyadh and started ur life, wish you all the best
    jayasree

8. khadeejasalam

khadeejasalam New IL'ite

Happy Vishu.

9. reenur

reenur Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Have a nice time in Riyadh.

Reenu.

10. manmeen

manmeen New IL'ite

hi rama

This is meenakshi. i live in riyadh from last 3 years. hope u r finding this place nice. i have 4 years old daughter.

i also do glass painting.

tell me what type of painting you do.