1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

H4 visa problems

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by Vidhu6787, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Vidhu6787

Vidhu6787 New IL'ite

Hi..

I recently got married and came to us 3 months back. I am from India and was working in software company. I would like work here and I m bored and fed up sitting at home. My husband is not much supportive for me. Could u please let me know some good consultancies where they can transfer my h4 to h1 and get work. Please help. I desperately need a work. Because of me not being independent I m facing lots of problems in personal life. Pls help me.

Thanks
    vidhu.

2. Divyavignesh

Divyavignesh Gold IL'ite

Hi Vidhu,
    welcome to USA, what is your work experience like in India? How many years and wat domain? If you are well experienced in a good domain you will get a h1 sponsorer. In case if you have very less experience the best thing u can do is join a school and earn a degree after which it would be easier for you to get a job. Meanwhile you can upload your resume with a cover letter in Dice and indeed (websites) you might get a positive reply :)

3. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

Maybe try for a part-time local job at first, I have many many many friends on H4 and they try to get nice office jobs but have no luck or it takes a long time. You may have to work for some local job but at least you wont be bored...

4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

OCdesigirl, please refrain from giving misleading information!

OP, you can not work on H4 Visa, it is illegal to do so. It does not matter if someone pays you in cash or whatever, if you're found earning money whil on H4 visa, it is illegal. What you're going through is very normal, especially if you've been used to being independent back home, you can feel very restricted here. I went through the same thing when I came here after marriage and used to super-pissed all the time!

First thing I would suggest you do is to learn to drive and start taking responsibility for little things like going grocery shopping etc. on your own. Secondly, check for volunteering opportunities (I used to stack books at the local library), VolunteerMatch - Where Volunteering Begins is a good resource. It will help you meet people, get out of the house and also be a good networking tool. One of my friends volunteered for the website maintenance of a local non-profit and was given a glowing recommendation by her "boss" when she started applying for jobs. Also, have you explored options of pursuing an MS or something here?

Even if you get a job, you will need to wait until April for visa quota to open up and an employer will need to be ready to sponsor you, or at the very least, one of the consultant companies should get you a visa. Until then, find ways to keep yourself occupied and try to be positive. All the best!

3 people like this.
  5. Divyavignesh

Divyavignesh Gold IL'ite

Yeah as peartree suggested vlunteering is a good opion. I am telling from my own exp. I landed in USA jan 2013 and waited for a couple of months because of peak winter. then i was volunteering (taught kids in school ) and i was lucky i found an employer who sponsored my h1 ( i had 6 yrs of it exp) in april and this oct i joined the work.

So if you are keen in working, clear your driving test and try applying for relevant jobs and all the best you will find a good employer /consultant who will sponsor your visa.

6. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

OP, please don't try to work on H4. Had seen a lady who was taking yoga and pre-natal class at her home and was quite famous in our building. Not sure what happened but heard from other lady her husband got a warning if she will continue working and get paid, they may be deported. I am still not very confirm on this information as I never met that lady personally (lady who told me was also going for pre-natal yoga class). I wanted to join her yoga class so just enquired and heard she stopped taking classes, following few more indian ladies who was earning through beauty parlor, baby sitting stopped their home business.

7. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

I did not say it is legal, but on the realistic side hundreds and thousands of people are doing that. It is also illegal for someone on a h-4 visa to intend to work when they get their visa, so even the intention to work is illegal. People are going to work if they want to work nothing anyone can do about it.

8. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Not sure I understand your point. How can you start working if there is no intention to work after you get a visa?

Just because a 100 people do something that the law doesn't allow doesn't make it any less illegal and it is very unhealthy to tell people that you can do it because a lot of them are doing it!

3 people like this.
  9. englishtutorjul

englishtutorjul Silver IL'ite

Network as much as you can. Talk to working folks in your neighborhood and check with them if their companies/consultancies sponsor Visas. Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  10. Divyavignesh

Divyavignesh Gold IL'ite

Please do not encourage anyone to work on H4, You cannot be paid on H4. Illegal and you might be asked to leave the country. have patience, perseverance pays.

2 people like this.