1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

h4 and state ID

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by swtsvn, Feb 27, 2008.

1. swtsvn

swtsvn New IL'ite

hi,
    i head without ssn, we h4 ians cant get a state id. is that so?
    or is there a way to get ssn with itin number or ssn ineligibility letter from social sec administration office?

2. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

I am unable to understand your question - do you want to find out how to apply for SSN or TIN?

3. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

yes, H4 visa holders can get a state ID, visit your nearest DMV office with your passport and I-94 and you cna have your state ID there and then in 15-20 min..

regarding ITIN, when you file tax, your husband can ask the tax consultant to apply for your ITIN number... as H4 holders cannot have SSN, you do not need any inelgibility letter from anyone, to get an ITIN number !!

4. slp807

slp807 Bronze IL'ite

As Abha said u can get a state id from DMV office and itin number when filling for Tax returns.
    And Regarding SSN ineligibility letter, visit a local Social Security office and show ur passport they will issue a SSN denial letter. i guess you want this denial letter for applying for drivers License.if that is the case better take the letter and go to DMV office.

Hope this helps...

5. swtsvn

swtsvn New IL'ite

thanks u all gals. got my info.

6. suchi

suchi New IL'ite

yes u can get the state id even though ur on H4 .:clap

7. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

I am on H4 and today I applied for my state Id in the DMV office here. I filled the application form and they asked me for my SSN. I said I am not eligible for SSN. There were no issues, I paid the fees, got my picture and thumb impression taken. They told that the STate ID will be mailed in 2 weeks time. The only document to be submitted is your passport with valid 1-94. (For extended visa, submit the visa extention proof too..)

8. hopeforgood

hopeforgood New IL'ite

Looks like we got the answers we wanted...

If on H4..we can apply for state id and also for drivers license..for state id they take the passport details and any Tax identification number details..for drivers license also the same procedure...along with the I-94 (passport copies) details..

If on H1 most of the ids are given based on SSN#s and the passport details (to verify the first and last name etc.)

this is based on my experience..

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  9. radhikavs

radhikavs New IL'ite

Hi,
    I'm from California. I'm on H4 and got my driver's license and state ID without any ssn denial letter. Just went to DMV office , filled up the form for State ID and got the picture photographed. Just passport with valid 1-94 is all needed.

10. Jyothisri

Jyothisri Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,

We live in West Virginia. I went to the DMV office today all prepared to take the knowledge test for a learner's permit but I was not allowed to as I dont have an SSN or an ITIN. I told them that I'm not eligible for an SSN. They told me that they need my ITIN.

But after doing some research online, I've found that my ITIN application has to be submitted with my husband's tax returns.. and my husband does not plan to file tax returns until maybe March.

My question is, can't I apply for the ITIN until my husband files his tax returns? How do the other H4 ladies here go about it?

Can't I get my learner's permit until my husband files his tax returns and includes my ITIN form with it?

I don't have a State ID either. I've been here only since 3 months and don't know if I need to have a State ID. We may be moving out of this state soon so now I don't see the purpose of applying for a State ID here.

Please advice.

Thanks,
    Jyothi