Guruji and Me

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by Tamildownunder, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayanthikrishnan

jayanthikrishnan New IL'ite

2. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Jeyanthi and Raji,

Since both of you are knowing Gnananda Swamikal from childhood, please share your memories and experiences for the benefit of people like me. All I know about him is through watching videos, reading his biography etc. here, I have to mention my disappointment about not finding much about Guruji excepting some passing mention in the biography. From waht I heard it is Guruji Haridos Swamikal who with his bhajans, pravachans etc. spread the makimai of Gnannanda Swamikal throughout the world and it is being carried out now by Namaji.

Gnannda Swamikaluku Jai

Radhe Krishna

3. rajisri1

rajisri1 New IL'ite

Hi TDU,

I have all the 9 paragraphs for Lalitha Navarathna Malai (9 gems). I shall write them whenever it is possible. Now I shall narrate an incident from Gnanaoli... I picked up a book instantly and am narrating an incident from the same...The devotee's name is " Kannathaal Murugappan, madurai".
    Once, she and her husband wanted to attend a fair in New Delhi (Asia-72), got their train tickets. Due to some riots in Andhra, the train was cancelled for the day. Suddenly after 10 days, there was an announcement in the papers that those who got the tickets for the cancelled dates can use them and go . They immediately started and did not have time to come to Thapovanam to get Swamigal's blessings. So they informed the postmaster to tell the information to Swamigal to get His Utharavu. Swamigal has said,"Poi varalam, Swami koodave varum... kuzhanthaigalai ellam swamy paarthukollum. Varumbodhu Kaasikku vandhu Gangai Theertham eduthukondu Thapovanam vandhu maduraikku chellalaam...".
    They were so relaxed as the children too were being taken care of by Swamigal. They went to Delhi and stayed for 3 days to see the fair. Fourth day, went to Haridwar by 10pm. Took a room there. They got up by 5 am in the morning to take bath in Ganges and took just Rs.50 in hand. The wife of the owner of the room advised them to go to rishikesh and be back by aorund 2pm as there can be some sun light and take bath as the water will be icecold in the morning. They went to Rishikesh and came back by around 2 pm. At home, they were given advice by many to be in crowd while taking bath, keeping their belongings etc... These devotees against those words, came to a place called "haakkipadi" (not sure of the spelling). There wasn't crowd at all there. They found water stagnated and wanted to go further where water was running. At that time, a poojari came there running and asked them to do sankalpam as it was their first visit to ganges. they went to the "padi thurai" and poojari himself went tothe banks and bought some flowers. The husband was not much interested as they both were scared of looters in the name of pooja... the wife half mindedly accepted his offer and started telling the slokas. The husband was simply standing few steps away in water. He lost his patience and went to take bath and suddenly fell down in water. It was only waist deep water there but the current was strong. Since they were doing all these formalities away from the common place and crowd, there was nothing for them to hold like a rope or chain... and no people to pull him out immediately. Husband started going along the direction of water current and wife saw this. She did not know what to do and the water was very very cold (december). When she tried to pull him she too fell down. That moment, she thought of her 4 children,"what will happen to them? I am going in water and he is going before me.... Gnanananda Swamy...!!! She did not think of the parents or others but called our Sadgurunathar twice aloud... the poojari who was standing on the banks ran along the banks and pulled the wife to the bank. Then he ran again to pull the husband. The husband who was also floating on water luckily caught a rock which was showing up in the water and was holding the rock. The poojari brought him too to the bank. Both were saved at last. All the people gathered around started to scold them in English, marathi, gujarati etc... If they were not saved by the poojari, they would have gone in water without anybody's knowledge... after that, they gave poojari Rs.10 and some food and got other formalities he offered done by him (earlier they refused for the same) They believed that Swami Gnanananda came to their rescue. Got Ganges water sealed in a vessel and took it to Thapovanam and it was night. Swamigal was taking rest. So they decided to see Swamigal next morning. They got up early to have His darshan, the first question Swamigal asked was " vizhundhu ezhundhacha?" (Got up from falling down?) They were completely shocked. "Oum !! munthaiya vinaigal arundhu vittana... gangai theerthathaal padha pujai seivom " They did padha pooja and were relaxing in the afternoon.

Some women there came to the wife and asked them "did you go anywhere to the north?" She said "yes". They then continued " Last week a boy went to Pennai river to take bath. But Swamigal asked him not to go to river and instead take bath in the ashram only. Swamigal said to his friends to keep his dresses so that the boy would not go to river to take bath. But that boy went to river, got trapped in the river current (chuzhal) and he passed away. When the information was conveyed to swamigal later, He said,"Enna seivadhu? sonna pechai ketka vendum. Swami Haridwar sendru vittadhu".

We need to keep our mind fixed at His feet and He will take care of all of us. My pranams to His lotus feet.

raji

4. Tamildownunder

Dear rajisri,

Thanks a lot for posting the episode from Gnana Oli. Reading your lines of ' Pranam to His lotus feet' I am reminded of this famous bhajan song by Guruji.

ஸத்குரு பாதுகை குஞ்சலம்
    என் மேல் பட்ட பொழுது தானே
    நானே நிம்மதி அடைந்தேன்
    உலகை மறந்தேன்
    ஆனந்தம் தான் அடைந்தேன்

குருவின் மலரடியை என்றும் என்
    கண்ணால் பார்த்து நின்றேன்
    மற்றெல்லாம் மாயை
    பொய்யென்னும் கனவில்
    கண்ட பொருள் போல் உணர்ந்தேன்
    அதனால் நிம்மதி அடைந்தேன்
    உலகை மறந்தேன்
    ஆனந்தம தான் அடைந்தேன்

Guruji's rendering of this bhajan song is captivating. I used to sing this in our weekly bhajans in London.

Gnanananda Swamikaluku Jai

Radhe Krishna

TDU

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  5. rajisri1

rajisri1 New IL'ite

malaiai kudaiyaai thaangiya gokulam kaatha govindhanai naan
    charanamaai adaiyave avan en paarvaiyai utpuram aakkivittaan
    athanaal nimmadhi adaindhen ulagai marandhen
    aanandham thaaan adainthen
    naane aanandham thaaan adainthen
    naane aanandham thaaan adainthen

thanks tdu, u are giving lead to many songs... In Thapovanam, this song is sung after paadha pooja or before, I am not sure... while preparing for the abhishekams for the padhuka... I exactly do not remember... If you are involved in that song deeply, you cannot control the tears rolling from your eyes.
    By the way, how do you type tamil font?

raji

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  6. Tamildownunder

Dear rajisri,

Thanks for giving the remaining part of the song. I remember some more lines

Pirappirappam bhavemenum kadalil
    thaneer vathi pochu
    athai thaandum kavalaiyum
    ennai vittu neengi pochu
    athanal nimmathi adainthen
    ulakai maranthen
    aanandam than adainthen

You are right. While hearing or singing this song it touches the soul.

Gnannanda Swamikaluku Jai
    Radhe Krishna

TDU

7. rajisri1

rajisri1 New IL'ite

Hi tdu,

In my sloka book the lyrics are as follows :
    Pirappirappambavam enum kadalil jalam
    muzhudhum vatri pochu
    athai thaanda ubayam thedum kavalai
    ennai vittu pochu
    athanaal nimmadhi adainthen ulagai maranthen anantham thaan adainthen

raji

8. Tamildownunder

Dear rajisri,

Thanks for correcting me. I am happy to have the full song now. Thinking about satguru's feet, I am reminded of another bhajan song, a marathi abhang. I don't remember it fully. But, the few lines are like this.

Thumchi naama sangeerthana
    eichi maaza sandhysthana
    Thumchi paya vasasheba
    eichi maaza kalatsheba

If you have this full song please give.

Gnannada Swamikaluku Jai

Radhe Krishna

TDU

9. Tamildownunder

Dear rajisri,

Here is Gurunathar's ponmozhikal. We have this framed and hung in the Ashram in London.
    [​IMG]

TDU

10. rajisri1

rajisri1 New IL'ite

Hi tdu,
    I tried to copy a picture of swamigal with padhukas...but was not successful... shall try again and send the same soon.

regards
    raji

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.