1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Guru

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Saturday, July 12[SUP]th[/SUP] is Guru Poornima Day. Guru Poornima is a full moon day in which Guru is revered. In a full moon day, moon is complete. A true Guru is one who is complete in all aspects. This day is also called Vyasyaa Poornima. Vyasyaa is the first Guru who demarcated the path and the goal. Vyasyaa means a person who has elaborated and expanded knowledge of truth. Vyasyaa composed Mahabharatha, 18 puranas and Bhagavatha. Vyasyaa has also narrated stories of human incarnations of Godhead.

Who is a true Guru? Is he one who teaches worldly education? Is he one who teaches properties of matter? Is he one describes in detail natural sciences? No. A true Guru is the embodiment of Brahmaananda (Eternal Bliss). He is one who is present in the least and the vast. One who is Omnipresent, Omniscient and Omnipotent. “Gu” means one who transcends three Gunas (Gunatheetha) known as Satwic, Rajasic and Tamosic and “Ru” means one that is formless (Ruupavarjitha). In fact, God within is the true Guru and one can visualize God only as a human. One can’t describe attributeless, formless and qualityless but one can only pray, adore, worship and feel the presence in the form of human.

“Gurur Brahma Gurur Vishnu Gurur Dheva Maheswarah
    Gurah Sakshath Para Brahma Thasmaih Sri Guruve Namahe”

Brahma is not only a Creator but also is creation and one and all that exist in creation. Vishnu is quality of pervasiveness and He is the doer and also what is done. Vishnu has in his hands conch, discuss, mace and lotus which actually mean sound, time, power and heart. Maheswara is the one who has all panja bhoothas under His command. He has Damaru (the drum or sound) and Thrishula (Trident or Time consist of past, present and future). Generally, Gurus who grant a manthra is known as Deeksha Guru whereas personality recasting Guru is Siksha Guru (guiding preceptor). He is Saath Guru (Embodiment of Truth).

What should we do on Guru Poornima day? Guru Poornima is the day one decides to become a master of senses & intellect, emotions & passions and thoughts & feelings. One should pursue spiritual disciplines. Even during dhyaana, one’s ego will obstruct. Niveditha (Margaret Noble) once asked Vivekananda to explain how to obtain one-pointedness during dhyaana. Vivekananda explained, “Do not allow Margaret Noble to be between you and God”. In simple terms he said to offer herself fully to God. Dedication can’t emerge from scholarship. Scholar is polluted by ego, puts pros and cons against each other and raises doubts and disturbs faith. Sometimes, scholars mix secular and worldly life with spiritual life and scholars worship God for worldly gains. One should make prayers to God for spiritual progress and nothing else.

In fact, two statements can summarize all of the 18 puranas composed by Vyasyaa.

“Ashtaa dasha puraaneshu, Vyaasaya vachana dwayam;
    Paropakaara punyaaya, paapaaya para peedanam.”

Do good to others; avoid doing harm.

4 people like this.

2. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

1 person likes this.
  3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dea r Vishwa,

wonderful last lines do good and do no harm.So true.i dont have a guru, never been inclined to religion and temples and rituals, but yes i beleive in God, but not his birthdays, i pray to him privately.

WEll said Vishwa.

3 people like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Dear Sister Saisakthi,

Thank you for your first response. I have a speaking engagement in the local spiritual center on Guru Poornima Day and I thought it is a good idea to share some of my thoughts here in IL. I am so glad to know about Guru Poornima Celebration in IL through Saisatcharitra Parayan.

Let everyone get blessed on this wonderful occasion.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Dear Kamalji,

Thank you for visiting this post. It is more important to lead a meaningful life than spending time worshiping the Lord round the clock while thinking about the sins the others are committing. Even if we think about God for a few minutes every day, as long as it is with great devotion, that is more than enough. Doing that privately is the right thing. No fanfare is needed to show our devotion to God.

Viswa