1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gulping food instead of biting..pls help

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by aartijadhav, May 5, 2010.

1. aartijadhav

aartijadhav New IL'ite

Hi my tod - Aahana is 17 months. She has been gulping her food down instead of chewing it. Otherwise if i give her snacks, like chips, or some finger foods she chews on them. But during her meal times, which consists mainly of dal-chawal n mixed vegs, she keeps the food in her mouth until the next morsel is ready and I tel her to munch her food, but the next thing she does is simply gulp it down instead of munching.
    Many a times she gets the vomit feeling due to same...
    Can someone please share how do i make her chew on her meals too? How can i stop her habit of keeping d food in her mouth for longtime?

Please suggest....

2. september

september Bronze IL'ite

i too had same problem with my daughter ..... couldnot do anything , and now at 3 yrs of age she has learnt , though not completely , to chew and swallow .

i too would like to have opinion from others .

3. lotusgirl

lotusgirl Senior IL'ite

same here!! no luck.. its still ongoing 4+ yrs.. somedays are better, some days are worse... i think i spoiled my LO with specially made food.. but then i understand some kids do have problem to textures.. and then there are people who have extra sensitive tastebuds which make them fussy to food.. i do realise my Lo eats some type of food without any coaxing and some needs all sorts of threats!!!

4. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Dear friends,

I can understand the situation very well, because even my 20mths old daughter does the same.

She bites carrot, chips, cookie etc., when if goes to dhal rice/ any meal, she gulps most of the time, which leads to vomiting uttimes.

Now i shown her see you got to chew the food while i have my meal and i keep saying on and off chew the food...if i raise my voice she starts getting tears..

As kids like anything in song form..i keep on singing " Bite and Eat repeatedly....which is working out now most of the times.:)