1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Liked anything that you read here? You may nominate it as the Finest Posts!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Gulping food instead of biting..pls help

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by aartijadhav, May 5, 2010.

1. aartijadhav

aartijadhav New IL'ite

Hi my tod - Aahana is 17 months. She has been gulping her food down instead of chewing it. Otherwise if i give her snacks, like chips, or some finger foods she chews on them. But during her meal times, which consists mainly of dal-chawal n mixed vegs, she keeps the food in her mouth until the next morsel is ready and I tel her to munch her food, but the next thing she does is simply gulp it down instead of munching.
    Many a times she gets the vomit feeling due to same...
    Can someone please share how do i make her chew on her meals too? How can i stop her habit of keeping d food in her mouth for longtime?

Please suggest....

2. september

september Bronze IL'ite

i too had same problem with my daughter ..... couldnot do anything , and now at 3 yrs of age she has learnt , though not completely , to chew and swallow .

i too would like to have opinion from others .

3. lotusgirl

lotusgirl Senior IL'ite

same here!! no luck.. its still ongoing 4+ yrs.. somedays are better, some days are worse... i think i spoiled my LO with specially made food.. but then i understand some kids do have problem to textures.. and then there are people who have extra sensitive tastebuds which make them fussy to food.. i do realise my Lo eats some type of food without any coaxing and some needs all sorts of threats!!!

4. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Dear friends,

I can understand the situation very well, because even my 20mths old daughter does the same.

She bites carrot, chips, cookie etc., when if goes to dhal rice/ any meal, she gulps most of the time, which leads to vomiting uttimes.

Now i shown her see you got to chew the food while i have my meal and i keep saying on and off chew the food...if i raise my voice she starts getting tears..

As kids like anything in song form..i keep on singing " Bite and Eat repeatedly....which is working out now most of the times.:)