Gujrati Recipes

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by Pravina, May 7, 2006.

1. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

dear pravina thank u so much for that yummy receipe. i am going to try this one next week and would send my feedbacks. all of us love gujarati food. i lived in wankabori and veraval for 2 years.

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

marble burfi

Dear Pravina,

Hope u r doing well. I made milk burfi again, this time it came out even better. Thanks again for the recipe.

Can you post a recipe for lauki made with chana dal? And a gentle reminder for the recipe of marble burfi, please? Take your time.

warm regards
    Vidya

3. Pravina

Pravina New IL'ite

Marble barfi

Dear Vidya,
    i am fine and wish the same for you.I have posted the 2 recipes u had requested. Both are favourited with my family.Marble barfi is always a hit with guests or whenever i have offered for Prasad.
    Donot hesitate to ask if u have any prblem following them.
    best regards
    Pravina

Marble Barfi <TR vAlign=center><TD width="50%"> <TD align=middle width="50%">Preparation Time : 30min
    Cooking Time : 30min
    Serves / Makes : 10person (50pieces)
    Ingredients3 Bowls Milk powder
    1/2 Bowl Almonds ground coarse
    1/2 Bowl Cashewnuts ground coarse
    1/2 Bowl Dessicated Coconut
    1/2 Bowl Pista,glaced cherries and angelica cut into small pieces
    1 Bowl Sugar
    1 Pint Milk
    3 Tbs Ghee(Optional)
    2tsps ground cardoman

MethodIn a bowl mix the Ghee with the milk powder and leave it for 10mins. Sieve the milk powder and add all the other ingredients.
    Grease 2 to 3 big thalis
    In a wide heavy based pot mix the milk and sugar. Boil the milk till thick.(The milk should have reduced to half a pint)Take off the heat.Mix the milk powder and nuts mixture to the milk and mix very well.put the mixture into the prepared greased thalis and pat the mixture smooth to about 1/2 in thickness. Let it cool down and than cut into diamond shapes.

PSThis barfi is very easy and so a novice at cooking will also will be able to make it.I have measured the amount of milk which should be left to give an exact measurement for some who are not very good at making "Chasni". It is very important to get the Chasni right as the success of the recipe depends on it. It is very attractive in appearance and also has a wonderful taste. To avoid getting the cherries and angelica getting completely mashed up one should put this right at the last minute.

Lauki(Dudhi or bottle gourd) and Channa dal curry

For 4-5 people

½ kg bottle gourd peeled and cut into ¼” pieces
    ½ cup Channa dal washed couple of times and soaked in 1-cup warm water for half an hour.

2 fresh tomatoes chopped or 2 canned tomatoes chopped
    1 tsp salt
    ¾ tsp chilli powder
    1/2tsp turmeric
    1tsp coriander and cumin powder
    1tsp sugar
    1 tsp green chilli and ginger paste (optional)
    1 tbls tomato ketchtup
    2 tbls fresh chopped coriander.
    Juice of half lemon.

For tempering
    2-3tbls oil
    ½ tsp mustard seeds
    1 dry chilli (optional)
    1/4tsp Asafoetida or Hing.

· Heat oil in a pressure cooker. When hot add the dry chilli mustard seeds and hing. When the seeds start spluttering add the chopped tomatoes.
    · Turn the heat down and add chilli ginger paste tomato ketchup and sugar. Cook till forms a thick paste making sure it doesn’t stick.
    · Now add the channa dal with the water and cut bottle gourd pieces.
    · Add all the spices and mix well. Add half-cup water and close the lid and put the whistle on.
    · Let the whistle go off for 3 times. Switch off the heat.
    · When cooled open the pressure and add lemon juice and 1 tbls chopped coriander.
    · Serve hot sprinkled with rest of the coriander, with chapattis and plain rice.

PS One can also make this vegetable without channa dal

Method 2. Bottle gourd curry

½ kg bottle gourd peeled and cut into ¼” pieces
    2 tbls oil
    ½ tsp mustard
    seeds
    I/4tsp hing
    A pinch of soda bi carb
    2 chopped tomatoes or tinned tomatoes.
    1tsp tomato ketchup
    ½ tsp sugar
    Salt to taste
    ¾ tsp chilli powder
    1tsp cumin and coriander powder
    ½tsp turmeric powder
    1tbls lemon juice.
    2 tbls fresh chopped coriander

Method
    • Heat the oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and hing.When the seeds splutter add the cut pieces.
    • Add the salt and sugar and a pinch of soda bi carb.
    • Mix and cover with an inverted lid with half a cup of water in it. (This way the vegetable cooks with the help of water vapour.)
    • After 5min check if the pieces are soft.
    • Add the tomatoes and cook for a further minute.
    • Add the rest of the spices, lemon juice and 1tbls chopped coriander and cook for a 2-3 mins more
    • Serve hot sprinkled with chopped coriander with chapattis

HAPPY COOKING:)

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

thank you

Dear Pravina,

Thank you for three wow recipes and taking the trouble of keying them in. Marble barfi- will def try. Chasni is not my strong point, so your measurements will be useful. Shall post a FB on this very soon.

Lauki sabji- am trying tonight and will get back.

Could you post more recipes using milk powder? Also, at yr convenience, cld you post the famous biscuit cake? I tried it, but my sauce ended up smelling of raw cocoa powder.

Thanks again and take your time.

affly
    Vidya

5. Sashmitaa

Sashmitaa Senior IL'ite

sabji

Dear Pravina Madam,

Can you post some more sabjis for chapathis and puris.

Thanks in advance
    Lakshmi

6. Pravina

Pravina New IL'ite

Stuffed Karela curry(Stuffed bitter gourd)

Dear Sashmitaa,

I am posting a new recipe for you. Let me have the feed back on it. It is one of my favourites.
    regards
    Pravina

Stuffed Karela (Bitter gourd) Curry

For 2 Persons
    Time 20mins

Ingredients
    4 karelas
    2 chopped tomatoes or 2 tinned tomatoes chopped.
    1tbls salt for stuffing the karela

For the stuffing: -
    4-5 tbls gram flour (Channa dal flour)
    3/4 tsp turmeric
    1 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
    2tsp coriander and cumin powder
    1tsp green chilli and ginger paste
    2 cloves crushed garlic
    I marble sized piece of jaggery or 1 1/2 sugar
    Juice of half a lemon
    3/4 tsp salt
    3 tablespoons fresh coriander.
    For tempering
    3 Tbls oil
    2 cloves garlic chopped fine
    1/2 tsp mustard seeds
    1/4 tsp Hing (Asafoetida)

Method
    1. Wash the karelas and scrap the skin well. Cut each karela into 1 ½ “ pieces.
    2. Make a slit in the pieces and put a little salt in the slit. This takes away the bitterness
    3. In a pan boil the karela till cooked but soft but firm and staying whole.
    4. Drain and cool.
    5. In a pan dry roast the gram flour for 2mins on very low heat. Take care it doesn’t burn
    6. In a bowl put the ingredients for the stuffing leave 1bls of coriander for serving. Add the roasted gram flour and gently mix.
    7. Discard the seeds from the karela and gently squeeze to get rid of excess water. Stuff the karela with the prepared mix
    8. Heat the oil in a pan. Add the garlic, mustard seeds and hing.
    9. Gently put all the karela pieces into the pan and stir very gently.
    10. Cover and cook on a very low heat. Check and stir gently once or twice to see it doesn’t stick at the bottom (about 10min)
    11. Add any remaining mix and cook for a few more min.
    12. Sprinkle the coriander and serve with chapattis and dal rice

7. Pravina

Pravina New IL'ite

Tomato and Savoury sev curry

Hello Laxmi
    Here is another recipe. Will post a few more later. Let me know how u liked it.
    regards
    Pravina

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%; mso-cellspacing: 0cm; mso-padding-alt: 0cm 0cm 0cm 0cm" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top>Tomato&Sev nu Saak(Tomato and savoury sev curry)
    <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top>
    <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%; mso-cellspacing: 0cm; mso-padding-alt: 0cm 0cm 0cm 0cm" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 50%; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width="50%">
    <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 50%; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width="50%">
    Preparation Time : 5
    Cooking Time : 10min
    Serves / Makes : 4

<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top>
    <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top>Ingredients
    <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top>8 Tomatoes,
    1 tsp whole jeera
    A few curry leaves
    1/4 tsp Hing(Asofoetida)
    2tbls oil
    1 tsp chilli powder
    1/2 turmeric
    1tsp corianderand Jeera powder
    1 tbls jaggery or 3tsp Sugar
    2 green chillies and 1"piece Ginger paste
    salt to taste
    2 tbls chopped coriander
    3/4 cup thin savoury sev(Made from gram flour)

<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top>Method
    <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top>1 wash and put tomatoes into a pan of boiling water. leave for 2 min . Drain the water.
    2 Peel off the skin from the tomatoes and chopthem into small pieces.
    3 Heat 2 Tbls of oil in a saucepan. Add the curry leaves Whole jeera and asofoetida.
    4 When the jeera starts crackling put the chopped tomatoes and stir.
    5 Add all the spices and the chilli ginger paste and jaggery.
    6 Let it cook on a medium heat stiring ocaasionally to prevent sticking at the bottom for 10min.
    7 Add the chopped coriander(Leaving a few for decoration) and savoury sev just before serving.

<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top>User Comments & Tips
    <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top>It is better not to add the sev too early as it become too soggy.
    It tastes delicious Served with Puris or Paneer paratha

8. Sashmitaa

Sashmitaa Senior IL'ite

Thanks

Dear Pravina Madam,

Thanks for posting wonderful recipies. It sounds yum. Will buy karela and try sabji soon. I will send you feedbacks once I tried these.

Accept my belated wishes for New year

Thanking you once again
    Lakshmi

9. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dokhri FB

Dear Pravina

I tried the Dokhri yesterday and it come out very spongy. It got over in no time..

-Gayathri

10. Pravina

Pravina New IL'ite

Re: Dokhri FB

Hello Gayathri,
    Thanks for the Fb. i am glad the Dhokri's came out good.I will be posting more recipes soon. Just have been busy with my son,s internet gift site. log into it and browse around.The address is www.treather.com.It is a gift site for women. The men site will be soon launched as well
    w