Gujarati Cuisine - Sweet Hot & Tangy

Discussion in 'Western India' started by krishnabhatt, Jun 6, 2009.

1. kats

kats New IL'ite

Hi BeeAmma,

THe NAvneet publications of "Aneri Vangio" by Nayna Shah is a good start for all Gujarati as well as a few multicuisine recipes

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for discussing about Gujarati Food. I did not know much about different region food form Gujarat. I am ignorant about it. Thanks for sharing the recipes.:thumbsup

good Day!!!!!

3. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Bhavna Parikh
    Thanks for the bakarwadi recipe.My daughter loves it evr since my husband bought from Pune's Chitale bundu shop in Pune.We all love Gujarati food.We had lived in Gujarat in Place called Wankbori years back and we can never forget the Surya hotel in Baroda and hot hot jalebis and methi pakoda we get at stations.

4. bhavnaparikh

bhavnaparikh New IL'ite

So sweet of you Kanaka. I'm glad you can now make some Bhakarwadi for your daughter. What are the other Gujarati food you like and miss away from home? Post it here, maybe someone can come up with the recipe. By the way, do you prepare any Gujarati nashta or rotli at home; we'd love to know.

5. bhavnaparikh

bhavnaparikh New IL'ite

Theplas - the thin and meltingly soft, griddle-fried breads/rotis are an all time favorite food in our Gujarati kitchen. Besides being tasty, it is nutritious as Methi/Fenugreek Leaves are high in iron and minerals content.

Here's sharing the recipe for Methi Thepla which when served alone or accompanied with just Pickle or Yogurt is one full meal by itself. Another interesting fact about Theplas is that they are perfect food for travel. They have their natural preservation property to stay fresh for almost 4-5 days without refrigeration.

Methi Thepla​

Prep Time: 15-20 mins
    Cooking Time: 30 mins
    Makes: 25 medium sized Theplas

250 gms whole wheat flour/Atta
    ½ cup yogurt
    1 packed cup fresh Methi/Fenugreek Leaves/ or a fistful of Kasuri methi
    1 tsp Turmeric Powder
    1 tsp Jeera/Cumin Powder
    ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder (to taste)
    2-3 Green Chillies, very finely chopped or minced
    ½ tbsp Garlic, very finely chopped or minced
    ½ tbsp Ginger, very finely chopped or minced
    1 tbsp Oil for kneading
    Salt to taste
    Water as needed

Other Ingredients:
    Wheat flour for dusting
    Rolling Pin
    Ghee/Oil for roasting

Method:

Pick just the leaves from a bunch of methi/fenugreek leaves and wash thoroughly.
    Mix in all the ingredients listed above and form stiff dough by adding little water at a time. Keep it aside covered for about 20-30 minutes.

Knead the dough again for about one minute and make small balls. Theplas taste better when they are rolled out thin. Roll the balls on wheat flour covering it well and press it down with hand. With the help of a rolling pin, roll it into circle to form a roti thickness. Dust off the excess flour.

Mean while heat a griddle/tawa and place the thepla on it. Cook on both the sides at medium to low heat till both the sides are cooked well and few brown spots start to appear.
    You can apply the ghee/oil if needed and serve these Methi Thepla hot with chilled Yogurt & Pickle or with a curry of your choice and enjoy.

Do let me know if you enjoyed making Methi Theplas. Computer Typing

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  6. roserobin

roserobin New IL'ite

Ingredients

For the batter
    1 cup Besan
    1 1/2 tbsp Semoina(Rava)
    1/2 tsp Citric acid(Nimbu ka Phool)
    3 tsp Sugar
    1 tsp Ginger-green chilly paste
    1 1/2 tsp eno's Fruit Salt
    For the tempering
    1 tbsp Oil
    1/2 tsp Mastard Seeds
    1/2 tsp Sesame Seeds(till)
    2 Green Chillies
    a pinch of asafoetide(Hing)
    For the garnish
    1 tbsp Coriander

Method
    - Mix together all the ingredients for the batter except the fruit salt using enough water to make a thick batter
    - Add in the fruit salt, sprinkle a little water over the fruit salt and mix well.When the mixture
    rises, pour it into a greased plate and steam for about 10 minutes.

For The Tempering
    - Heat the oil in a small bowl and add the mustard seeds, sesame seeds, green chillies and asafoetida.
    - When the mustard seeds crackle, add 1 tablespoon of water and pour this over the steamed dhoklas.Cut into pieces and serve with green chutney.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  7. sethihardeep

sethihardeep New IL'ite

Roserobin, thank you so much for the dhokla recipe. Me and my family have been great dhokla fans and the only place we can get dhokla's in Delhi are the Haldiram outlets.

But now, I guess I can definitely give a try and if everything goes well, then its Hadippa! :cheers

8. NabanitaS

NabanitaS New IL'ite

Thepla sounds interesting. Can theplas be made without methi or is there any other variation which can replace methi? My family are not too much in favor of methi, you know....

By the way, I was wondering how can theplas be kept for so long without refrigeration...which is the magic ingredient that keeps it fresh?

thanks in advance. :thankyou2:

Nabanita

9. philjows

philjows New IL'ite

Gujrati Food Is Very Different then the all Other Food.I like the Rice and Dal of Gujarati So Much.There is a Very Easy and Fast to Cook.I like some Sweet Test that's Why I like Gujrati Food So much.Gujarati Farsan is also Very Testy I just love to Eat Such as Bhajiya,patra,Khaman,Dhokla Etc.

10. L69

L69 Gold IL'ite

Thank you for all those yummy recipes
    Gujarati cuisine is my favorite & I love Undhiyo

Latha