1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Guidance To Cook And Store Food

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by wings2010, Sep 2, 2018.

1. wings2010

wings2010 Senior IL'ite

Dear Friends,
    I am heavy and trying to reduce weight.following diet plan. In that daily 100g of chicken or mutton or fish is given. Since am starting thought of grilling chicken with 65 masala just brushing drops of oil n have it. I have a problem...daily I can't grill 100 g (4pieces) of anything. Can I grill or toast like half a kg and store in fridge. Normally we won't keep cooked food more than a day. Veggies steamed or boiled also same case. Please pour your ideas. How to save time,nutrition and storage ? Kindly help dears. apart from this I must cook for husband and son as well. Thanks.

2. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Why do you have to cook separately for the husband and son? It is a good idea to cook one healthy meal for everyone. That way you do not have to worry about having to store food etc. A diet that is rich in proteins , less carbs and fat is good for everyone including kids.

I store meat marinated with masala for three days maximum in the fridge and grill as and when needed. You can try doing that. I notice cooked grilled chicken stored in the fridge can get a little tough in texture.

Have you tried barley ? It is a good substitute for rice and works well with indian dishes. I make mine in the instant pot and it cooks really well.

I also recommend ground turkey kababs . Add grated raw green papaya . It tenderizes the meat and stores well in the fridge . It is super soft in texture because of the papaya.

wings2010 likes this.
  3. wings2010

wings2010 Senior IL'ite

Thankyou so much on tips. Really worth. But my husband and kid don't like to eat these food. They r like sambar,rasam ,poriyal and my son only tasty items as he is small one. however I understand that I can make poriyal n Dal with less oil n I can use it .

I can't control midnight hungry pangs,unable to sleep. They mentioned 100g any non veg, or paneer,salad n only one ragi dosa or small ragiball.
    I am prone to eat rice .all time rice eating habits for me.

SinghManisha likes this.
  4. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi,

From my experience, a lifestyle change is better than following a diet plan. When we use the word “diet” it is more prone to crash sooner or later. Eating in moderation is the key combined with exercise. Instead of totally avoiding certain type of foods (example: rice) it is wise to have it in moderation unless you are allergic to certain items.

Planning and prep is the key for cooking. This saves a lot of time and energy. This is true for veggies and meat. It is always best to cook meat items fresh as long as you have marinated or prepped them beforehand.

You can also cook the same set of dishes for all your family members and probably you can have more of the vegetables (like poriyal, kootu etc) and reduce the intake of rice if you want to. Have healthy snacks in between meal times, like nuts, fruits etc.

Having said that, it is not like one glove size fits all, you might have to use your own judgement to decide what will be beneficial for the entire family in the long run.

wings2010 likes this.