1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Grumpy Old Man, That's Me!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Novalis
    You may not know this but my grumpiness is an acquired asset. As a child I was not grumpy but it started getting into me as I started going to school. When I realised that my teacher's wavelength would never match mine, the trouble started. It grew as I advanced in my education. I was quite fortunate to see the movie, A Day at the Races starring Groucho Marx. I saw that grouches contributed more to the fun side of people's life than the jovial ones. My another grouch guru was Walter Matthau of Hello Dolly fame. Unlike Groucho Marx, Walter had a countenance that was tailor made for a grumpy grouch!
    upload_2019-5-2_15-33-25.jpeg
    Nice coinage! Who can beat Saki's Tobermory, the cat that had a very poor opinion of human beings!
    upload_2019-5-2_15-25-9.png
    This a piece from the story:
    "What do you think of human intelligence?" asked Mavis Pellington lamely.
    "Of whose intelligence in particular?" asked Tobermory coldly.
    "Oh, well, mine for instance," said Mavis with a feeble laugh.
    "You put me in an embarrassing position," said Tobermory, whose tone and attitude certainly did not suggest a shred of embarrassment. "When your inclusion in this house-party was suggested Sir Wilfrid protested that you were the most brainless woman of his acquaintance, and that there was a wide distinction between hospitality and the care of the feeble-minded. Lady Blemley replied that your lack of brain-power was the precise quality which had earned you your invitation, as you were the only person she could think of who might be idiotic enough to buy their old car. You know, the one they call 'The Envy of Sisyphus,' because it goes quite nicely up-hill if you push it."\

2. Cheeniya

@shyamala1234
    My dear Syamala
    Observing people is one of my major pastimes. I may not always do it with a smile. It was just incidental here. It was more because of my warning of my daughter that I should try to look cheerful and not grumpy. I find it easier to look grumpy than "Head up, stay strong. Fake a smile, move on."
    Do you know that RK Laxman who made millions laugh heartily with his cartoons was himself a grumpy person?
    That's the hallmark of a truly grumpy person!
    Sri

3. Cheeniya

@Srama
    My dear Sabi
    This is what I tell everyone. Grouches make people much happier than the ever smiling can ever do!
    When I was once complaining to my daughter about this habit of mine to wake up from the wrong side of the bed, she told me, 'You are very fortunate dad. A lot of people go to sleep on their cot and wake up from the floor!'
    We differ substantially. I never read the editorial. I too would sit with my dad the moment the newspaper would be delivered but not for reading it with him. He had this habit of peeling off the pages of the paper as if it was an onion and throwing them on the floor. My job was to assemble them together page wise for my brother to peruse later peacefully. I was more into reading Filmfare, Star & Style, Stardust and Cine Blitz. They had a lot more news that interested me than The Hindu and the like.
    Thanks a lot for that wholesome compliment.
    Sri

4. Cheeniya

@Agatha83
    My dear Agatha
    When I read this, I became curious about the number of teeth lions normally have. When I googled for it, I got this information:
    "Lions have 30 adult teeth that are composed of 12 incisors, four canines, 10 premolars and four molars. The permanent teeth of a lion begin to break through the gums at 3 months of age and continue."
    Extending my research further, I found that Lord Ganesha being elephant-shaped would have 26 teeth (Google again)
    I know a few guys who had this habit of getting their jaws locked due to yawning, to tie a rope connecting their heads and jaws! Safety first you know!
    He must have been grinning ear to ear after watching Chennai trouncing Delhi yesterday!
    Sri

5. Cheeniya

@peddadas
    Nice to know that my Ramble made you laugh heartily.
    Why only grumpiness? Everything has to be taken in a sporting way!

6. Cheeniya

@Afresh
    I see that you have already made it!

Afresh likes this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Sir
    Thank you for a hearty laugh I had reading your post.
    You are indeed a great observer.
    I once spoke to our newspaper humor columnist, who said "humor is everywhere, you just have to look for it."
    And true to his words here you are, observing so many things around you, making us smile without hurting our jaws, for it is a natural smile.
    I enjoyed all the responses too.

Afresh likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

@kkrish
    My dear kk
    Thanks a lot.
    Half of the fun in life is in observing others. I am not for the frontispiece of the Temple of Delphi -'Know Thyself'
    I feel bored knowing myself and in any case, there is nothing much interesting about me. So I spend most of my time observing others!
    Sri

Afresh and kkrish like this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

This is the key mantra sir.
    I will always remember it when I am in the brink of self-pity and self-everything

Cheeniya likes this.