1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Growing veges in an apartment

Discussion in 'Indians in Boston' started by auserid8, Apr 13, 2009.

1. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the info Tina, its very helpful. Will checkout the direction on the bag.

2. auserid8

auserid8 Senior IL'ite

even I got to see the directions on the packet... All I saw was it was a Miracle Gro potting soil and Organic in nature... :)

has anyone of you'll tried to grow curry leaf at home?

3. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Hi auserid8,
    How are ur veggies doing? i didn't plant any , too tired to get started.
    few of my friends have curry leaf plant at home, i think u can get small plants from friend's or they sell in temples. seeds didn't work out, i tried. it is better to get baby plants. but in winter u have to keep it inside the house.
    Priya

1 person likes this.
  4. auserid8

auserid8 Senior IL'ite

My veges are doing good.. mint is coming out.. got a couple of tomato plants.. flowers have bloomed.. need to see if they will fruit....Also waiting for my chilly plant to fruit.. hmm.. havent found a curry leaf plant yet.. need to buy some flowering plant as well.... have got marigold.. but wanna keep something that blooms lot so that can offer flowers to god.. :)

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

As to flowering plants for an apt, geraniums are good if you have a really sunny spot and begonias are good if you have little sun. Both are hardy and bloom continuously.

Glad to hear you are progressing on your other plants.

We had a near freeze up here 2 nights ago and everyone was running around covering their gardens. Luckily my flowering plants made it through.

6. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Last yr i had marigolds, petunias, daisies and zinnias. daisies were supposed to be perenials but haven't come out yet. i suspect the rabbits and squirrels are not letting it grow. becos the same happened with black eyed susans which i planted few yrs ago.

Good to know ur veggies are doing good.

7. tashidelek2002

Actually I am really spoiled here. My next door neighbor plants a BIG organic garden and they let me take what I want in the summer. I try not to take advantage. They also give me a little area for myself near my gate to their yard. I then can special stuff for them and give in the fall. So far so good.

The plants I have here are bleeding hearts, silver bells, kalanchoe (a super good plant for survival in NE!!), daffodils, hosta, Japanese blood grass, grape hyacinths, and a few more I have forgotten the names of.

8. auserid8

auserid8 Senior IL'ite

Hmm..with regards to getting sunlight.. Our balcony gets sunlight mostly in the afternoons and evenings. so need to see which one would come out. I was so happy when flowers started blooming from my tomato and chilly plant.. but they havent bourne a fruit yet... Is it due the sunlight??? Cos yday my cousin was telling me that her tomato plant has already bourne a fruit.. But she lives in the west coast. I am so upset about the climate here... every now and then it keeps changing :( Its really upsetting to see a plant dry off before your eyes..:(

9. tashidelek2002

Don't worry about it yet: you will see fruits in a couple months. NE harvest season is aug and sept. When you buy a plant, they will have on the sticker or plastic tab the time when it will bloom: it will be listed in weeks to harvest and so count from when you plant. Some plants are early bloomers and some are later. If you have a house garden, you plant some early and some late so you harvest as long as possible.

The cloudy weather has been hanging on this spring. Even I am sick of it and I am (theoretically) used to it.