1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Growing up veg in a non-veg world...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by likemychai, Oct 7, 2008.

1. vijayacmouli

vijayacmouli New IL'ite

Yes- I thank my 'poorvajanma karmas' that I was born in a strictly vegetarian family where there was compassion for every living being and creature. It is very difficult to understand how people can kill to eat .However, there is a growing percentage of people in the occident where people ae taking to vegetarianism and even veganism.On the contrary tthose coming from vegetarian

2. vijayacmouli

vijayacmouli New IL'ite

On the contrary those coming from vegetarian background are getting non-vegetarian.Compassion is something that we have to inculcate in our children from day 1 and then we shall have a world full of compassionate persons.Sensitivity has to be nurtured from infancy- in all the things that we think, we say, and what we do.And is it not said that we are what we eat - for ANNAM IS PARABRAHMAM.And what better way than to cause the least pain to anything.

3. Meena RK

Meena RK New IL'ite

For me, it was different. I gave up eating meat in my teens, and initially it was so difficult to control the temptation.But I stuck with it, and 25 years later, I can agree with you that it does change you, make you stronger mentally. I stopped because I felt it was wrong to kill so that I may eat; only when I turned vegetarian did I realize the variety in vegetarian food. It was wonderful to read your blog.

4. neha.j

neha.j New IL'ite

yes felt nice to read,we are also pure vegetarians staying in italy presently. my 12 yr son is going to school everybody suggested him now he has to start eating non veg as school will provide him only non veg. but we have brought up our children with lot of love towards animals.so the idea of killing them for our food cant be digested by him.
    everyday i prepare tiffin for him and my husband. he is very happy. we can manage to remain vegetarian anywhere if we want to.i am proud to be vegetarian

5. aparaajita

aparaajita New IL'ite

I know the feeling...I had to take out a vegetarian friend from India, & I'm talking early 1990s...I went to a McDonald & asked for a "cheese burger without the patty" & the sales person looked at me as if I was crazy...I told him he could charge me the full price as long as he did not put the meat patty in the burgers. My husband had a good laugh when we came out. Every one in the line was looking at us as though we had come from Mars. NY has come a long way since then.

6. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

Congratulations on being voted 'Blog of the Year', LikeMyChai! Interesting how you developed the taste for vegetarianism and none for meet even as a young child?
    Do you know how and why and care to share this with me?

7. dipti255503

dipti255503 New IL'ite

hi all, i live in south africa there we r to eat pizza or potato chips only if we deside to eat out. It's a pity but m proud to be a vegetarian.

8. jaijui0

jaijui0 Senior IL'ite

hello likemychai,
    very admirable bravo ! all of us should be vegetarians .Over the past 5 years i have become one ..
    its the non veggies who should apologize ..you are on good ground ..
    hope ur daughter follows
    love
    jaijui

9. likemychai

likemychai New IL'ite

Thank you to all who have read my blog. Sorry I have been MIA for awhile, life has become too busy lately and only recently have found time to be on here. AM so happy to see so many proud vegetarians who are keeping the faith in spite of the daily struggles. It is hard sometimes and more so in some places, but if you believe something is right, then you must do it.

Malyatha, I wish I could be able to tell you the reason, but as a baby only I was this way. Also we have a friend who's daughter was also born this way - and they all eat meat BIG TIME. I think honestly, we must have been strong vegetarians in last birth and this good trait has come with us to this life - such a pity I haven't got many other good traits, LOL... :)
    My daughter also is same (or I should say, so far!)