1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Growing up veg in a non-veg world...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by likemychai, Oct 7, 2008.

1. shwetag1prakash

shwetag1prakash New IL'ite

very interesting... u are simply great.... u remind me of my sis... she too hates non veg... and b' cos of her... even we cook veg at home...

2. vikram1900

vikram1900 New IL'ite

3. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

dear tanu
    welcomr to IL blog family
    great write up:thumbsup
    ineresting to note how kids grow up differently in the same house. you remind me of my sis in law, she has been like you ..a vege in a meat loving family.. both before and after marraige.
    i was a non veg , but left some 12 years back.. and till day i manage without them and my hubby too is the same.. and both of us can't deny the taste.. but the whole fact of how it comes to thr palate seems unpalatable now. i'm happy i changed. and with my meat loving in laws it is difficult, as they tried their best to bring me into their fold. but then one needs to stand up if one is convinced.. a great blog.

4. Chomi

Chomi New IL'ite

Hi all,
    Thia is so interesting. In my case I`m a veggie and my hubby is non-veg. My in-laws want my daughter to be non-vegetarian. But I want her to be like me. I don`t know what will happen.

5. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Very interesting to read your experiences. It is always interesting to note that some children prefer to eat meat and some do not.
    Regarding taking food items to school, my son has always felt free to take idli, dosa and chappathi among other things. My nephew born and brought up in the U.S takes curd rice to lunch to work everyday.
    Though we do not hear any adverse comments I think its in the way we handle it. I happen to know of many people who lived here for 40 plus years. No one has ever complained of how difficult it was to have been a vegetarian. I hope you dont mind but I have to disagree with your lines ... "I believe it will help build character - not only with her physical and spiritual health, but mental as well."...
    People who are nonvegetarians too can build higher spiritual health.
    Even in India, different parts of the country observe being a vegetarian differently. For many people in Bengal, having fish is part of being a vegetarian. Many Brahmins , who are traditionally vegetarians, in Bengal eat fish as part of their diet. Just my opinion!

6. raagam

raagam New IL'ite

I am very glad to see this blog. I have been a vegetarian all my life. When my daughter was 3 yrs old she was asking why can't I eat meat? I was not ready for that question. Then I researched a lot and happened to come across PETA.org. I got lot of info from that and became active. There is also veggiefest going on in every city which u can try to google it for your city. Now my daughter is 10 and she is a active vegetarian who tries to talk about it to her friends and family and advocate vegetarianism strongly.

7. likemychai

likemychai New IL'ite

Thank you for all of the feedback, it is nice to hear others' experiences!

Dear Anandchitra, I meant offense to non-veg's, I only meant that by being different (i.e., a vegetarian) it would help to build her character because she will face some opposition in certain circles (she's the only vegetarian in her preschool for instance, another school I had considered initially provides all lunches and would not allow me to pack her lunch from home - needless to say I went elsewhere!). She will have to learn to stand up for her beliefs and this is her first lesson in that respect; it's not the diet itself that will help her learn these things but, rather, learning to stand by her ideals.

Good points all around.

8. rvnachar

rvnachar Silver IL'ite

Hearty congrats for the prize! I am a staunch vegetarian by birth. Living in India and bringing up children in vegetarian families is not a big issue at all. The children naturally take a liking to the varieties of vegetarian dishes that we dole out to them and gradually start understanding what non-vegetarians eat and how their food arrives the table, because meat and chicken are sold openly on the streets! We, as a family, are animal lovers, have pets and see a lot of animal programmes. These things only strengthen our principle of vegetarianism more than the religious demands. We do travel a lot and yes it is difficult to get our kind of food everywhere. But, just by bit of sacrifice on taste, we can manage. And if we know cooking and go to other countries well-prepared, like my son who went to Germany and Switzerland for his internships, nothing is difficult. He cooked his own food and stuck to his principles. We have nothing against non-vegetarians or their food but we definitely feel eating simple food and leading simple life does lesser harm to the planet.

Sudha Narasimhachar

9. Navaljee

Navaljee Senior IL'ite

From Navaljee To Ms. likemychai

You write that : If you are a vegetarian living outside of India, you have most likely experienced some level of difficulty in getting a decent meal at some time or another.

But I have experienced the same difficulty when I visited Andaman and Nikobar islands. We were three families, born vegetarians. We survived on bread and tea for two days until we found a place we can have purely vegetarian food.

Navaljee
    [​IMG]

10. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

Hearty congrats for the prize.very interesting... u are simply great....i too hates non veg... and ...i am really proud to be a vegge. even we cook veg at home ...