1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Green Leafy Vegetables in US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Nivedi, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nivedi,

I have tried cooking Collard greens, beet greens and turnip greens similar to making agathi keerai poriyal (mustard seeds & urad dhal tadka with 2-3 red chillies, saute the green sprinkling little water and then add cocount).

It tastes good.

Malathy

2. naazneen

naazneen Junior IL'ite

Re: Green Leafy Vegetables in US-confused

I want to follow recipes but!!! Oh dear I cannot understand these terms in tamil? or is it kannada? what is bachali? what is kootu? what is kerai kootu? bachali akulu and a bag of gongura akulu-:confused2:---guys please simplify for us eager US green leafy vegetable eaters!! thanks.
    ~ Naazneen.

Angelica28 likes this.
  3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Dear naazneen,

bachali, is pasali, spinach, small leaves that come in creepers,and kootu is the method of making the spinach /dall and [the coconut, fried red chili and urad dhall and jeera,] the paste is mixed so bringing altogether is known as koottu. akulu is greens. and spinach and gonkura is from andhra leaves are long and very sour to taste, they make pickle kind of stuff with that to eat with rice..sunkan

4. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

5. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Nazneen,

this is telugu.

akulu = leaves

bachali akulu = bachali leaves
    gongura akulu = gongura (sour spinach) leaves.

any of these green leaves can also be used when cooking ground meats just like how methi leaves are used.

As sunkan said they taste specially yummy in pakoras.

6. naazneen

naazneen Junior IL'ite

woops! sorry about my ignorance. And thanks a ton for the explanations. will now follow on recipes as I am now enlightened!, hmm telugu- Andra Pradesh . You see I'm from Maharashtra- I had no clue what was going on. :)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  7. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Vaishnavi,

made kanda bachali as per your recipe. here are some pics taken while it was simmering. It tasted very good but not as good as when made by my friend. She uses frozen kanda gadda (what is it called in hindi:-() available in indian stores.

Attached Files:

8. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Oh,Blodie, you are too fast.. Looks yummy, does it taste sweeter? Because
    I never cooked any dish with yum so far…just this week I cooked bachali daal so waiting for some days to cook kanda bachili…
    Tulasi

9. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Hi, Nivedi

Yes, there are lots of green vegetables in the super market here and I find them cheap as well. I bought snake gourd for 50p a Kg the other day and bendi also at 1$ a Kg. In our cafetaria in the office they keep lots of green salads. But, my American colleague says come winter some of them will not be available. This winter is going to be my first full winter although I have visited U.S. during the winter few times before.

Regards,

TDU

10. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

It was a little sweet tulasi but tasted very good. You are missing out on yummy food if you haven't used yams in our indian cooking. Yam Pulusu tastes very good, you don't need to add a pinch of brown sugar to counter the sourness of the pulusu. You can use yams cubed in sambar also. (my kids love it)