1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

green color stool - remedies please

Discussion in 'Infants' started by vivbass, Apr 20, 2007.

1. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Re: Green poop

Hi Amitha,
    Do you post in another forum? Just wondering if you are the same Amita :hiya! This is Krithika.
    Anyways about your LO, is he fussy while he passes BM, lotsa gas, foul smelling, watery BM, mucous? If you do not think it could be a tummy bug and if your child is not unhappy, then it may not be something serious.
    My Lo could never tolerate garlic that I have eaten, dunno why. If I had bfed immediately him after my meals, then he will poop within the hour. Even now at 21 months I keep him off garlic! Let us know how he is doing.

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Amitha - Baby poop changes colour a lot depending on the bacteria in the gut at the time, what the milk contains (too much sugar-rich foremilk can turn it green), how long it took to go through the intestine ( a faster passage can mean green stools sometimes) etc. So if the baby is otherwise healthy and active you dont need to worry. It will clear up on its own.

Vanathi.

3. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

Ofcourse yes Mom2K - it's me. As soon as you mentioned K in a different reply, I thought it should be you and here you are. Welcome to Indusladies - you will find some wonderful ladies here, enjoy your stay here.

4. ramya_psk

ramya_psk Senior IL'ite

Hi amitha,
    even my daughter used to poo in colour, nothing to worry.I asked my pedi ,he said becoz of milk powder the poop is in green colour.

Ramya

5. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

But I am only breastfeeding my LO, nothing else

6. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Amitha, like Vanathi has said its nothing to worry. Just keep feeding the baby as long as he wants it. Sometimes it will be pale yellow to cream color if he drinks a lot of fatty milk or hind milk. It is natural for the color to change. My son poops green every now and then, don't worry as long as there's no blood (black/red) in the poop and as long as your baby is active, no fever and happy.

-L.

7. ampu

ampu New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

My son who is in his fourth month did not pass stools for three days and I was wondering why? and today the fourth day early morning he passed it. Now the thing is the stools are dark green . What could be the reason?
    And is anyway my child effected by it?

The things I notice are...

1. I ate spinach and brinjal in the last five days.( I am Breast feeding him exclusively)
    2. Have been giving him recently the vitamin tonic which doctor prescribed.
    3.He has cold and cough (Not extreme but light)

I heard its ok if stools are green....it could be any reason above too but my question is ...

Is it something to worry about if he has not passed stool for three days and then passses it in dark green.

Do let me know if any of you know about it.

Thanks
    AMPU

8. aniashok

aniashok New IL'ite

i m also facing same problem with my daughter(5 months). Few days back i started giving her solid foods. i wish to know whether green color stool is because of solid food??

9. nilasisu

nilasisu Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ampu,

My doctor even if the kid does not pass stool for 2-3 days it is fine. If it exceed more than four days, then you should consult a doctor. Since you are exclusively BF the baby, if green color stool is consistent for more than two days, then it is advisable to consult a doc.

Hi Aniashok,

After starting solid food, it is normal to get green color stool most of the times as I too experiencing same for my 5 months old kid. Sometimes the stool changes color to yellow from green after some time from passing which is normal. But if the stool is green while passing, you should consult a doc to be sure of any infections.

Personal advice: It is better to consult a doc immediately if you find anything wrong.

-
    Nila

10. aniashok

aniashok New IL'ite

hi Nila,

Thanks for ur reply. For first few days she had this problem but now she s normal. Stool color has changed to yellow.

Once again thanks for ur timely reply.

Regards
    Ani