1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Great Indian Kitchen

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Angela123, May 12, 2021.

1. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

This is what one of my friends told me. I feel like the different scenarios are very familiar to me!!!
    But this is not really generations ago. In some houses it is the now! I got married 12 years ago. At my home, we have gas stove and wood burning kitchen. Rice is cooked in the latter, not in pressure cooker. We have mixie, grinder, food processor, but certain items are ground/powdered in stone grinder aka "ammikallu". My BIL and Dad are perfect examples of such men in that movie, who doesn't step into kitchen or drink a glass of water with out anyone serving them. It doesn't ever occur to them to go get it from kitchen by themselves. They both used to not eat anything that is kept in the refrigerator. At BIL's home, they don't own a refrigerator, not because they can't, it's because they don't need one. This is as of 5-6 years ago, I am not sure any of these changed. My dad doesn't even hold new born babies because he "doesn't know"!!!!!
    I had a close friend, whose dad is an ayurvedic doc, she and her sisters sleep in a separate detached room when they are on their period. All the girls are highly educated and hold jobs.
    You can't just tell looking at a family if they are forward or backward, it is a combination of all things new and old. At the time when I got married, our families never allowed us too much socializing before engagement (for arranged marriages). No visits and such. Even if there are visits it's all very formal, and full of relatives. you never know what is daily life in that house before wedding.

2. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

True. I do agree on this.
    Arranged marriages are tough
    Love marriages also end up in Trouble sometimes.
    The whole indian marriage setup is tough
    Lots of adjustments needed to make it work.

Angela123 likes this.
  3. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

I had seen these types of kitchen in many of my relatives houses.Many use smoke free wood stove for rice cooking or any other slow cooking.my BIL used to hand wash his shirts because he doesn't like washing machine and my sis never budged ..:) after many years he adapted to washing his clothes in the machine..
    The movie is real for many women in India.

4. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

No. It may not be familiar for urban people. If you are living in a flat/ apartment, its not easy to connect with it. But in rural , traditional homes still similar situation can be found. Majority are facing same in one way or other. I agree that girls should know what they want. In this movie she is into reputed family with educated people, who will imagine such a nightmare. Most families still marry girls off instead of allowing her to chase their dreams.

In Kerala flat culture is not that common even now. In Indusladies itself you will many question on menstrution and pooja restrictions, when we know its just a natural phenomenon . There are so many documentary on menstrual homes in India, Nepal etc..so in traditional houses there are seperate rooms, especially hindu homes. Time changed. Not many are following traditions, but in some homes still its followed. In my home, my mother used old ways similar to the movie for grinding and instead of using mixer/ grinder to preserve taste. So I can relate to it in many ways. I think every one have something to relate to the life in this movie. The movie is named ' the great indian kitchen' even though Kerala traditional joint family is shown there. The kitchen scenes are very realistic. Even though we have adapted to modern tools situation is still same( read some recent posts here, PILs order, DIL have to follow) .

Every where in a patrarchial society women is supposed following traditions without asking questions. They don't have option when they are dependent. I liked the scene where the heroine ask her brother to get water by himself, when mother is still spoilng son by treating him special by following traditional behavior. So the resolution should start in each home by treating both genenders in equal way. Also by educating sons on how to treat women in respectable way.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  5. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

This. I feel like in Kerala, joint family is when there is another sibling and family living with you and family. When one set of parents are living with you, it is just family!
    a long way to go before this starts.

6. DDream

Deleted

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  7. DDream

I dont think so. It was a nuclear family before sons marriage. It became a joint family when sons spouse join him and his parents. In this forum we often use the word joint family when in-laws stay with son and family.
    In this movie MIL is shown as very supportive. Everyone is calm. But can see passive aggressive behavior very well, especially from the husband

Anusha2917 and Needtobestrong like this.
  8. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Yes, I suspected that. But never paid much attention. That’s why I said I think.
    This one is also so close. I get along with MIL very well, not so much with my mom. Like the movie mil, mine sounds supportive, but I know she will jump in when an opportunity arises from my mistake or something else.

Anusha2917 and deepthyanoop like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: Large exodus of Keralites began their shifting to greener parts of India and the world as well a generation before. Nurses of Kerala in gulf and Sodhi, masons in Kuwait and Dubai, many educated in foreign lands and so the generation next all already beyond the traditions and there could be a negligible percentage of orthodox might be still holding to archaic practices.

The picture is taken with these traditional practices which are not in vogue only serve the people to know” how life for daughters” in good old days.

In MHO, It doesn’t convey in the form OF NEW ideas for betterment of daughters of Kerala or women as a whole & so it could be concluded as a wasteful of resources.

10. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Not a negligible percentage. It is probably more than that. What makes you think it is negligible percentage?
    Disagree.
    Are you talking about the movie here? Or the efforts of a common women who toil everyday to serve husband? Which one is it? I am confused.