Grated coconut should not cooked, but what is the reason behind it? Does anyone know?

Discussion in 'Indians in Singapore' started by sangrag, Jul 16, 2014.

1. sangrag

sangrag Silver IL'ite

Friends give your answers please....

2. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

Re: Grated coconut should not cooked, but what is the reason behind it? Does anyone k

as far as i know grated coconut when cooked increase the cholesterol in the body. if you want to add coconut in the dish , put it in the end when you finish off.

1 person likes this.
  3. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

Re: Grated coconut should not cooked, but what is the reason behind it? Does anyone k

There is no specific technical advice that grated coconut should not be cooked. We in our house, do add grated coconut to some veg gravies and all non veg gravies. After adding grated coconut, the gravy is boiled for around ten minutes. No harm.

The issue is , grated coconut is usually manufactured from very ripe and mature coconut, by the farmer. (Very raw and immature coconut will be soft, hence, it can not be grated). Such a mature coconut and the grated coconut made of it, will liberate coconut oil upon heating. Such a released coconut oil will spoil the entire recipe by adding an unpleasant smell and taste to the recipe.

Hence, grated coconut should not be boiled /heated for more than a few minutes (otherwise oil which can ooze from it will spoil the recipe).

Apart from this, there is no other danger in heating grated coconut.

3 people like this.
  4. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

coconut should not be heated for long. Should be the last thing added to the recipe and the stove should be turned off.

either cholesterol or saturated fat..i forgot which one

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

the saturated fat in coconut meat is very high more than butter. it is actually very good to eat raw meat of coconut than heating. there are lots of health benefits to eating raw meat that is not too mature.

as the the fat in coconut meat can increase your hdl and reduce your ldl. while cooking the fat disinegrates.

that said new studies state that coconut oil is a good cooking medium, when used in moderation.

the key is moderation.

3 people like this.
  6. FallenAngel33

FallenAngel33 Silver IL'ite

Who told u that grated coconut should not be cooked ?. I have never heard of such thing.

So u mean to say if coconut is not grated then it does increase cholesterol?????

Coconut does not have cholesterol or does not increase cholesterol, whether you use raw coconut or cooked, grated coconut, coconut milk, coconut water or coconut oil. . No cholesterol problem whatsoever.

grated coconut is manufactured somewhere else ? ... I don’t think so. People grate coconut at home . . In Bangalore I have never seen anyone selling grated coconut.. I’m not sure about other places.

Will the coconut oil spoil the recipe by adding an unpleasant smell and taste ????????? I guess u have never tried. It has a very pleasant smell & taste. In kerala only coconut oil is use for cooking, their food will really smell & taste great.

2 people like this.
  7. cutemonster

@ fallen angel, what i meant was adding dried grated coconut is suppose to increase the cholesterol , and i agree with shanvy that eating raw fresh coconut is healthy and adds hdl which is good cholesterol , but dried coconut when cooked for long time ooze out its fat contents which you can see floating on top as oil, so it is not good for body.
    i did not know about all this but my fil, who is borderline diabetic and high cholesterol patient was told about this by a doctor. so in our home where mil would put coconut in everything and cook it with kootus stopped and we saw good improvement in his cholesterol numbers , but yes true that it was not only coconut but many dietary changes as well as walks which might have helped this.

but yes, if anyone has some more info about this coconut thing, i mean health reasons , it would be great to know.

8. cutemonster

shanvy mam. i was hoping you would reply , you know i have seen many people here in usa who are drinking a table spoon of coconut oil for health benefits ?? i mean like its is some tonic. it is mostly Caucasians , but i was surprised and did some research, seems like coconut oil is new healthy oil . it is mostly extra virgin coconut oil, which is quite expensive.
    coconut is beneficial for skin and hair that i knew but using it as health drink is new to me.

9. FallenAngel33

FallenAngel33 Silver IL'ite

Whether coconut is wet or meaty or dry, there is always fat in it. When dried, moisture & nutrients will be gone except fat. Drying does not increase oil quantity...whether dry or meaty same it’ll always contain same amount of oil. Drying just eliminates other thing except oil, fiber & others.

Coconut(dried or wet or meaty) has 0% cholesterol. It contains saturated fat, but it’s in a form of lauric acid. It has lot of health benefits for ur heart, skin, hair etc....infact coconut oil increases HDL & prevents cholesterol. Need not worry about the fat in coconut , need not worry about coconut oil (0% cholesterol) .

Recent research have proved this, but still there are some controversy....doctors are humans they are not fallen from sky..

Long back, thousands of years ago, ayurveda has given clear description about coconut & its benefits, modern science, with all equipments, still struggling to find things.

Ayurveda never recommends consumption of any oil other than coconut oil. Its mentioned as, healthiest oil on earth. In Kerala they use coconut oil in all the foods. In fact people there live much longer....one of the reason would be coconut oil.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. sangrag

sangrag Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the info FromMars. That answer was also my thinking.