1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Grandma's Rasam

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anusha2917, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you mist. Education was never the thing for them. Their moral values cannot be compared to the high end education we are getting in this era. We are no where close to match their ethics and maturity!
    Very good point you mentioned about education.

Thyagarajan and Mistt like this.
  2. Myliltwincesses

Myliltwincesses Silver IL'ite

You are right Anusha..I felt she was with me in every step during ttc and pregnancy.. It's very nice for you to mention the same

Thyagarajan and Anusha2917 like this.
  3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

What a beautiful tribute @Anusha2917 . You touched upon probably 2 of my most favorite things.... my paati and rasam!! In my family, I was fondly called "rasapriyai" because I absolutely loved rasam and I completely relate to the "thaalichu kottardhu (tempering)". My fondest memories are of my summer vacations at my patti-thatha's house, where I would be the last one to be woken up, because everyone would say "avalukku kulicha pasichudum" and so they would only wake me up after much of the cooking was done! I would usually wake up to the aroma of rasam thalichufying, with my thatha usualluy humming a slokam on the side. And the orangish frothy top with the mustard seeds and 'molagu-jeera' podi floating around....! And hot paruppu saadham with a well dug in between for theluvu rasam... complete bliss!!

When I was older and stayed in the hostel in the same city as my aunt and paati were, I was expected to go every Friday to my aunt's house for the weekend. My paati would apparently promptly start nagging my aunt from the moment she would be back from the office to remind her to include rasam in the menu as I would be coming. "Rasatha pannidu, kozhandhai vandhuduvaa raathri saapda". (Make the rasam, the child will be here anytime).

Thanks for such a lovely post. I long to go back to my childhood.... days of uncomplicated living and simple pleasures!!

4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Welcome back @Anusha2917 :cheer:

The love showered by grandma’s on grand kids cannot be measured. Afterall, who else will spoil and pamper grandkids if not grand parents!
    Enjoyed your rasam story.

Once upon a time my granny used to cook so many varieties without getting tired. Few years ago she slipped and fell so she underwent knee operation after which she stopped cooking.

Just like your granny, even mine will never eat outside food. She always carry some homemade stuff like Poha etc
    I used to tease her for that. But now realised their practices were healthier than ours :rolleyes:

And coming to the Rasam, oh God I just love the Garlicky pepper rasam served with ghee!!

Recently I was deprived of proper Indian food as we were travelling. I was craving for Tomato rasam. After we reached home, to my luck only tomatoes were lying in the fridge. Happily made rasam rice and relished it with extra ghee :smile:

Btw what’s that secret ingredient to your mouth watering rasam :grinning:

Thyagarajan, Amica and Anusha2917 like this.
  5. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

I enjoyed reading your post Anusha.plz share do your Grandmas recipe for Rasam. She is in a much better place and probably is looking at you from the above.

Thyagarajan and Anusha2917 like this.
  6. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

You made my dinner decision easy!!! The freshly tempered rasam. The picture does not do justice to the orange hue of the froth!!!

20200225_193310.jpg

7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations for being nominated. Awesome.post. I had finished my nominations otherwise would have nominayed Your post brought memories of my maternal grandma.Since my mother was her only daughter she was with us only and fulfill all our desires.She was expert in cooking and feel sad that I did not learn from her. She would make dishes according to each one's tastes. My second brother was fond of sevai and she used to make it on sundays that too with nazhi which.was difficult to make.

She did not know hindi but would buy vegetables talking I Tamil. She was expert in making kai murukku and would go alone to houses where she is called. She and me went to Delhi for my sister's delivery to.help her and once when I was late to go home and bring food for my sister she.came alone to the hospital. She stayed back and got cancer. She did not want to trouble them.so alone she came to Mumbai by train though my brother in law told her he will take her
    For my sister's marriage she cleaned rice for marriage and bought most of the steel vessels giving old clothes. She prayed that she will make 1000 kozhakattai for the marriage togo well. After marriage every Friday she made

Thanks for the awesome post which brought sweet memories of my grandma

8. Anusha2917

Thank you peartree for your lovely feedback and sharing your memories with Rasam.

No matter what different dishes we learn from internet and make Rasam is something which we will never be bored of. I sometimes wonder who invented this simple tamarind tomato broth with some spices. (If we should call the rasam in master chef style) :grinning:

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Anusha2917

Hey shravs Hello.. :cheer::cheer:
    Thank you for your lovely feedback.
    True a simple poha carried by our grandparents is so much healthy and tasty than the pizza burger fast food .:wink: But we lazy bums still prefer junk. :grin::grin:

It's true after a vacation rasam rice ghee with a papad is the simplest food we yearn for. After long vacation I feel the same "I should go home n make one simple tomato rasam n eat " :grinning::grinning: It tastes heavenly after our vacation food. :hearteyes::hearteyes:

Thyagarajan and shravs3 like this.
  10. Anusha2917

Thank you Veena for the feedback .. Sure shall share the recipe soon. :blush::blush: