Got job after long gap of finishing studies, suggestions required

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by shree2012, Jun 30, 2013.

1. shree2012

shree2012 New IL'ite

Hello friends,:)

this is Shree, I completed my P.G 6 years ago. But I could not get a job because of some problems. Now I got a job in a reputed MNC (BPO) and finished training. Tomorrow is my 1st day of job. I am getting tensed so much. I have no work experience before this. I will get so many doubts for everything.:bonk

Generally I am very weak in communication.Most of my colleges are fresh graduates, and 1 or 2 years experienced. all are good at communication and technology I am the only girl who is not a fresher as well as no experience. I don't know how to behave with colleges and new people. I want to be a good employee. and I have very very few friends so I want good friends how can I make good friends in office.

friends, please give your suggestions , advises those will be very helpful for me.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013

2. plakshmi

plakshmi Gold IL'ite

hi

congrats for your first job.
    1. be confident.
    2.be cheerful and friendly
    3. even if you does not know accept it and ask boldly how to do it and learn from them.
    4. if your self-esteem is high and self-confidence is also high you can meet any challenges.
    5. last but not least do not under estimate yourself.

hope this helps.

lakshmi

3. aamrapali

aamrapali Gold IL'ite

Congratulations on your job.

1) Take it slow one day at a time, don't be excited and over-enthusiastic to jump in and fit in to everyone and everything.

2) Do not wear your shortcomings on your sleeve, do not talk about what you don't have. In fact, do not talk or reveal much about yourself, being reserved and cautious helps when you are new and still soaking in everything.

3) Do not be eager to make friends - friendships and workplace do not mix very well, they affect focus on your work and professional relationships. Be professional with everyone and treat everyone the same. Remember your coworkers are your coworkers and just that - they are not your family and they are not your close friends. Keep your professional life and relationships separate from your personal life and relationships.

Aamrapali

2 people like this.
  4. NanditaSri

NanditaSri Silver IL'ite

Congrats and good luck on your first day!

I completely agree with Aamrapali. It is very important to take it slowly and not be too excited about making friends right from day one.

The most important requirement is an inclination and curiosity to learn. It doesn't really matter if you are a fresher or have exp. What matters is understanding your role, responsibilities & expectations from your team and management.

As Lakshmi said, learn to accept your mistakes and try not repeating them. Since you are starting afresh, try to learn the basics so you have a good foundation you can build on. Take notes where ever possible and make sure you meet deadlines. Keep notes from your training handy and refer to them if required.

As you get more familiar with the place and the team, you can decide people you would wish to be friends with. But remember to keep personal and professional discussions apart. Best Wishes!

5. Vemala

Vemala Gold IL'ite

Congrats. you dont need to worry.
    They train you at work with the same amount of clarity . Many companies doesnt differentiate betwenn 0-2 yrs experience and be confident.

Gain confidence in you and start communicating with collegues . make good friends and networking will help to grow in corporate. Ask them to correct . lookout for culprits too and becareful with them too since they are the one pull down you during your down time.

Best of luck....Enjoy the work. Getting job is easy and showing the continuos progress is easy. Strive for it.

Thanks...

6. veenago

veenago Bronze IL'ite

Congrats

Take note of whatever you are asked to do in "notepad / excel sheet".Have both soft and hard copy of the notes.softcopy will help you to use Ctrl + f to find things easier and faster. Hard copy will help you if you are not on a PC and need to refer.

7. shree2012

shree2012 New IL'ite

hello lakshmi, Aamrapali,:)

Thank you for your quick reply and thank you very much for your suggestions
    I will try to follow them.

Hello Nanditasri ,Vemala, Veenago,:)

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will definitely try to follow them.
    Any other suggestions ? each and every suggestion will be very useful for me.:bonk
    thank you

8. shree2012

shree2012 New IL'ite

hi Vemala,

"If You Want to Walk Quick,Walk Alone
    If You Want to Walk Far, Walk Together"

It is true.I like your caption very much.

9. Tomfx7

Tomfx7 New IL'ite

I thought getting a best job after a long gap is impossible. I completed my P.G in 2005 and worked for B.P.O from 2006 to 2008 and resigned after working for 2 years. Now I have 4 and half years gap. I have many reasons to resign my job but that is not an excuse for my next job. I admit that it is my fault to stay ideal. I haven't even took my experience certificate from the company that I resigned as I can't show my face because I have jobless gap that turned from months to years and still continues. I was pissed off with my family quarrels,politics. I felt sad about the 600 students who gave their lives for Telangana but I haven't took part in any Darna's or hike for justice but stayed quite at home feeling dejected for whatever I paid for studies from K.G to P.G is a waste. As Telangana has come to life I will hold my head high and show my face in the company to take my experience certificate and do the impossible. I want to know some best companies that can offer jobs after long gaps. Every human has a dream but it is hard to protect it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013