1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Good school districts in the white plains area

Discussion in 'Indians in New York' started by ramaram, Feb 29, 2012.

1. ramaram

ramaram New IL'ite

Is anybody aware of good schools in the white plains where the rents are affordable? It seems there are lots of Indians in that area but I also understand it is very expensive and also some schools are not good. Trying to find a balance between good schools, affordable rents and a good Indian community. Thanks!

2. peeks

peeks Gold IL'ite

There is a good elementary school at the end of greenridge avenue, white plains, this is close to downtown white plains, near mamaroneck and maple avenue

3. harshini1212

harshini1212 New IL'ite

Hi..tarrytown is a good school district...tarrytown is 6 miles from white plains....i live in tarrytown...very nice place...affordable apartments too

4. swahini

swahini Senior IL'ite

Greenburgh 7 is a good school district. It has a part of White Plains. White Plains school district is not good as such. It is loaded with Spanish speakers and African Americans. I am not saying that they are bad, at the same time, I noticed that those schools are not performing good.
    If you find apartments near Walmart then the school district/school covering that area is good too. Recently, they took some steps to improve and it really showing good results.

Tarrytown is a good school district, primarily inhabited by the middle class folks. You may find good rentals in that neighborhood.

Elmsford is NOT a good school district (although many Indians live in that area). Plus, some part of it gets flooded rather quickly.

Eastchester is a good school school district and there are a ton of apartments on Garth Road. Some of them do have really bad reviews about the landloards so watch out carefully.
    If any of you plan to drive from Garth Road neighborhood to work or something then be warned, Saw Mill behind Garth road also gets flooded quickly, and is off limit (but it does not affect the apartment dwellers, just the drivers.)

If you are willing to pay top $$$$, Ardsley, Edgemont and Scarsdale are cream of the breed. If your child is exceptionally bright and you would not mind him going through pressure cooker like you did, Scarsdale is the place to go. The competition is cut throat. Parents are rich, the school district is well funded. A ton of scope for your child's brilliant brain. They will sharpen it really good. You will have to fund 529 like crazy because your child could end up in Ivy league university. (Seriously, if you think your child is among the brainies, every dime spent in Scarsdale is worth it.)
    Majority of the Indians in Scarsdale are rather rich. As far as I know, there are no 'Indian community' events.

5. rajinims

rajinims New IL'ite

harshini can i know which apt u stay & rent, because we are also moving along with 2 kids to white plains.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014