Good Reasons To Choose Careers In Science, Technology, Engineering, And Mathematics

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Tamildownunder, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

In the US, the news on the current and future workforce in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) is bleak. Kids in the US are woefully underperforming in mathematics and science. They are unlikely to enter university with a STEM major in mind, and even when they do start out in a STEM major, the attrition rate in STEM subjects dwarfs that of other disciplines. Add to these problems the chronic under-representation in STEM of women and minorities and the (mis)perception that science and technology jobs are emigrating, it's no wonder that students are not choosing STEM fields.

While the number of STEM graduates continues to drop, the demand for their expertise continues to increase, leading to both frustration and anxiety in potential employers. Former Purdue President Martin C. Jischke spoke passionately on the grand history of STEM in the US and raised a "call to arms" for the public and private sectors to invest in STEM education, educators, and initiatives, from Kindergarten to Post-doc.

Grand vision and sweeping policy changes may help stem the dark tide, so to speak, but professionals in STEM fields can make a difference one personal story at a time.

U.S. Presidential candiddate Barack Obama is already talking of withdrawing troops from Iraq and put the money spent on Iraq war in improving the STEM education.

In India, there is a craze for choosing a career in computer software and Information Technology while few good students opt for general engineering or mediccal subjects. Also, there seems to be a growing short supply of good lecturers in professional colleges. As our former President Abdul Kalam has pointed out the cost of professional education is increasing enormously putting it out of reach for weaker sections of society. If this trend is allowed to continue India will face the problems as in U.S. today.

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Nice one, TDU Sir.
    These kind of articles let us know that how money is being wasted on other things rather than for the good cause.

Moreover the mentality of people should also, which makes it difficult for the future generations.
    It will be a pride for the parents to say that my son or daughter is a doc. or engineer and now a days, soft ware engineers. You can count people who opt for other studies, leave alone who are forced to read those subjects.

sriniketan

3. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Wonderful eye opener Mr. TDU. Hope India learns from US. Incentives for choosing mechanical or other core engineerng subjects are lesser than in IT. Also or most of middle class people salaries from IT mean a lot. Necessity is the supreme factor for many choices. How do make sure there are incentives in mechanical or other core engg subjects too ? As a teenager, I was confused, and chose the least risk path. I think we need to make youngsters understand, increase incentives and also make them aware of the situation.

And about this STEM in US, thanks for enlightening me with facts and figures. I did not know it was a mis-representation.