Good Morning America. Is The Reality Starting To Sink In Now?

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Rakhii, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

^ This.

Getting them released early trivializes the crime. It's too boys-will-be-boys for me.

This isn't the first time a head of state has intervened to help their citizens. In some cases it's justified. But I'm uncomfortable with a get-out-of-jail-free card for shoplifting. They knew the law. Whatever happened to "don't do the crime if you can't do the time?"

To be fair, I didn't care till the father of one of the shoplifters said he didn't think it was a big deal.

2. LearnItAll

LearnItAll New IL'ite

3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Following this. This is definitely worrisome.

joylokhi likes this.
  4. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Keyword to be noted is "proposal". H1b legislations having a large impact on immigration policy, spanning people from multiple countries are unlikely to be passed in a jiffy, if at all. Risk to business continuity is also something american tech firms will no doubt remind the govt about. The press usually gets riled up and make doomsday predictions about the slightest murmur.

Besides the fact that it is a hare brained idea, there are so many stages that it has to clear that I predict that it will take years for this to become the law - if it clears at all. It seems stupid to punish legal immigrants for the govt's inefficiencies in approving GC petitions. They shld focus on deporting illegal immigrants first and there are 11 million according to a 2017 NYT article. Much more than the 1 million H1b petitioners targetted by this legislation.

For those potentially impacted by the proposed legislation - i still think there is no need to panic and rush back to india. Infact there is little they can do to change the course of such legislations except file for a canadian PR or device an alternate plan.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    joylokhi and sumalynux like this.
  5. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Was watching this news being covered on CNN . Trump tweeted this in response to the book. Cracked me up, hilarious ! :DMental stability, genius ...?

Wondering if geniuses have to go around announcing that?:rolleyes:

7D9A3E9D-5D74-45B6-B041-227226CEC8AB.jpeg

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Oakland, CA, Mayor Libby Schaaf tips off her city and the area's illegal immigrants about impending raids by ICE(Immigration and Customs Enforcement)
    Oakland Mayor Stands By 'Fair Warning' Of Impending ICE Operation

Explains her action, "that her decision to tip off immigrants stemmed from a deep disagreement with immigration enforcement under the Trump administration and a resistance to the administration’s enforcement efforts."

She tweets the long and detailed warning in her capacity as the elected mayor of Oakland. Libby Schaaf on Twitter

It is one thing to be a self-declared sanctuary city, another to obstruct a federal law enforcement department in this willful manner, endangering the officers doing their job.

7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If anyone is wondering how to turn off the orange annoyance from popping up on your phones - turning off govt alerts will do.
    Notifications - scroll to the end and turn it off(iPhone)
    3F5D9893-98CC-4817-AC5F-4F90252EA439.jpeg

MalStrom likes this.
  8. Laks09

We(texans) maybe supplying you all with eye candy and a gold candidate for 2020. I mean think about turning on cnn and seeing this one all day long for four years . Let him win, let him win, let him win! My DH is beginning to think I’m losing my mind but isn’t it unfair that the Canadians get to see Treudeaux day in and day out and we are left with Orange soda? Very very unfair. We should demand Beto for the Democratic nominee. I knew the day I met him as the house rep that one day this guy was going to become the POTUS. My DH never thought he could even scratch the surface in tx but looks like he’s four points behind “Lying” Ted in the latest polls. People from other states are contributing to his campaign funds. One can continue to hope.

Sunshine04 likes this.
  9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Thanks, Laks!
    What are Beto's chances realistically? Can he really pull it off?

10. Laks09

I don’t think he can win. Texas is deep red and I know a ton of Indians who are voting red or not voting. If the Indian community in two counties (suburbs of dallas and Houston) show up and vote for him, that’s all he needs to get that last 3-4%. The very fact that he is in fighting range in a place where we all voted for Ted Cruz last two times shows that he is doing really well. That plus Ted not doing his job is what’s helping him indirectly. My grouse is because the man decided to have someone pick up the phone and say that they aren’t interested in our concerns. He has already made up his mind. How dare he not listen to us when we call with genuine concerns? He decided to then go to the media and say that we are all not “real” constituents but paid by the Democratic Party. I don’t care if he wins, he won’t get two votes here that he has consistently got.