Good bookstores in Delhi

Discussion in 'Shopping/Restaurants in Delhi' started by Shabnam88, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Shabnam88

Shabnam88 New IL'ite

Hi
    I love reading books. Lets compile a list of our favorite book stores in Delhi NCR. My favorite bookstore is the Om Book Shop in South Extension in Delhi. It has a great range of books on almost every title available including medical, scientific and literature books.
    ILites! do join in.:cheers

2. anandisingh

anandisingh Senior IL'ite

The Landmark Bookshop on <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:Street><st1:address>Mehrauli Gurgaon Road</st1:address></st1:Street> is one of the most well-stocked book stores I have ever visited. The books here are well catalogued. But there is no need to hesitate if you need help. The staff here is aware, well trained and always on their feet to assist you. If you are looking for anything other than what is there on the shelf, you can place an order. Browsing through the shelves, and choosing from amongst the rich treasure trove of books, buying books from Landmark is a memorable experience.

If you need to get hold of anything printed on paper, Landmark is the place you can visit. I love this huge set up and reckon this as one of the best book stores in the Delhi NCR region. The ambience is comfortable and bright.

3. Aparna77

Aparna77 Senior IL'ite

My favorite book shop is the Delhi Book Store at 19, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Ansari Road</st1:address></st1:Street>, Daryaganj, <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New Delhi</st1:place></st1:City> -110002. Phone 2326 0070.

The foundation of the store was laid by Mr Ahuja way back in 1947. Today it is spread over 20,000 sq ft right in the centre of book trade in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Delhi</st1:place></st1:City> – <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Ansari Road</st1:address></st1:Street>. It is a multi storeyed building full of books covering almost all subjects –science, commerce and humanities. They have a very good collection of engineering, medical and computer books. Institutional sales are their forte. When I went there I saw Librarians ordering books for their libraries. What is more they offer a great discount even for individual buyers.

If you want to know more about the store just log on to www.delhibookstore.com

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  4. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

I used to shop for books at the Bookshop at Khan Market, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Lodi Road</st1:address></st1:Street>. Once upon a time, luminaries from the literary world would shop and browse for books here. The list includes everyone from William Dalrymple, Naipaul, Shashi Tharoor and Khuswant Singh.

Unfortunately, the BookShop at Khan Market had to close down due to spiralling rents. Today only the first Bookshop started in 1970 at Jorbagh survives. It is almost next to Steakhouse at JorBagh Market. Do drop in some time. You will like the collection. The Phone no. is 2469 7102

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  5. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

You are right Anandi!! The Landmark Bookstore is one of my favourites. I try to drop in whenever I go to Gurgaon. Another bookshop I quite like is the Janta Book Depot. It is centrally located at Village Sarhaul, Industrial Area, Gurgaon – 122001. It is opposite “Orient Craft”. Whenever I visit my uncles’s place at Sarhaul, I make it a point to pay this shop a visit.

The Janta Book Depot, my uncle says, has five decades of experience in retailing books, business journals and stationery. This shop has been selling fiction, non-fiction, text books and stationery for over fifty years.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  6. neha_garg11

neha_garg11 New IL'ite

Hi,

Landmark Book store in Grand Mall, Gurgaon is the best book store i have visited.Otherwise Om book shop in MGF metropolitan mall is also good.

7. JayaRawat

JayaRawat Senior IL'ite

I reckon “The Book Worm” to be one of the best bookstores in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>. It is located at <st1:Street><st1:address>Connaught Place</st1:address></st1:Street>. 29-B, <st1:address><st1:Street>Connaught Place</st1:Street>, <st1:City>Delhi</st1:City></st1:address> – 110001 is the exact address. Being a frequent visitor during my years at <st1:City><st1:place>Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>, the address is etched in my mind as are many other vivid memories.

I have spent many a cozy afternoon in The Book Worm with its vast collection of fiction and non-fiction books. Book Worm is the place to be for booklovers. This lovely little bookstore is located in one of the upscale markets of the capital. It is very near the <st1:place><st1:placeName>PVR</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Plaza</st1:placeType></st1:place>.

8. anandisingh

Jaya,

The Book Worm is one of my favourites too!! This bookshop stocks way more than one would expect from a shop. The interiors look like a grand library which lures every booklover. The décor is chic, the ambience is comfortable and the odour of new books is irresistible.

My aunt says this shop has three decades of bookselling experience. It is visited by a large number of intellectuals, celebrities and politicos.

The Book Worm is renowned for stocking hard to find litereature and top class non-fiction. It also has a huge stock of children’s books and educational reference books.

9. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

My nephew and niece depend on Teksons Bookshop for their text books. Teksons is present at ten important locations in and around <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>.

I hear, Teksons Bookshop was started way back in 1971 with its first store at the South Extension I Market, which is a posh south <st1:City><st1:place>Delhi</st1:place></st1:City> locality. This store is still there and is a favourite destination for an endless number of booklovers from across <st1:place>Northern India</st1:place>.

Teksons has a book café which was opened in 2003 and is visited by readers who love reading while sipping their favourite cappuchino. Teksons Jr, a bookstore for kids was opened in 2004.

10. anandisingh

As Aparna saya, the Delhi Book Store is renowned for text books. It has a wealth of books in streams like Science & Technology, Humanities, Social Sciences, and Medicine. There is hardly a book of a faculty that this store does not have. It aims to be a premier bookstore for engineers, doctors, scientists, academics, scholars, students, corporates and technocrats.

My Grandpa says, Delhi Book Store was opened in 1947, by a young boy named Jeewan Kumar Ahuja.

Today, the Delhi Book Store is Asia’s largest showroom of medical books. It has a record 99,000 titles on display! It has a five-floor showroom at Daryaganj.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010