1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gone Astray

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by sureshmiyer, Jun 4, 2018.

1. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

Pinki was coming back all alone from school in a dusty street in Bhavnagar, a coastal city in the Indian state of Gujarat. Her house was some half a kilometer away from school. Her father though quite rich did not seem to spend much and was a known miser. She was followed by two men. One was handicapped, while the other was looking very smart. The smart looking man's hands were trembling.
    "Do not worry, there is always a first time. We will pull it off." said his accomplice, whose one hand was amputated since early childhood.
    The smart looking chap came up to Pinki and offered her Cadbury. Pinki was not amused by his antics.
    The handicapped person came before her from the other side and posing like a beggar, started begging. Pinki could not understand what the fuss was all about, when suddenly an auto rickshaw came before her.
    "Pull her inside. Quick!” the rickshaw driver barked.
    The smart looking man applied a piece of cloth over Pinki, lifted her and with the help of the handicapped man put her in the autorickshaw.
    Everything was over in few minutes.
    An eerie silence gripped the scene of place where Pinki was held hostage.
    The smart looking chap stood in the corner of the dim lit house with a sharp knife in his hand. His name was Vikram. He was staring at Pinki. Pinki was yet to recover from her senses.
    Vikram must be around 34 years old, tall and well built. He was well educated but was jobless. All he got was temporary jobs which he thought to be hopeless. He was living with his elder brother and sister-in-law who ridiculed him for his ego in refusing jobs. His mother was no more and his father was ailing. Even the girl he loved advised him to be practical in life. Vikram did not like anyone who taught him how to go about life. The girl Vikram loved tried to instill sense in him to pick up something useful to do which continued to irk him. Unable to bear the taunts in his house, Vikram distanced himself from his brother and girlfriend and just walked out of the house one day. He could no longer feel like living with those who can't allow him to live the way he wanted and slept on the platform of a railway station at night.
    Poor Vikram did not know that the world outside was far more vicious. The cops on duty asked for money from him and started beating him when they found him empty handed.
    Rehan noticed him getting beaten.
    "Hey, do not trouble that gentleman. He is my friend."
    Rehan was handicapped and made his living as a beggar as well as a pickpocket. He was 41 yrs old and was a vital agent of the begging syndicate. He also supplied girls to customers as a part of prostitution network. He knew all the cops and provided them with regular income through his crime cartel.
    Vikram was impressed when the Police left away meekly on just one gesture of Rehan and was drawn towards Rehan instantaneously. Vikram told Rehan about the insults he faced in life and Rehan comforted him. Vikram and Rehan bonded well and Rehan made him a partner in his trade. Vikram loved this job as it came from a respecting partner. As a part of initial training Rehan used to pickpocket or steal things from unsuspecting customers in local trains and pass it on to Vikram who will smartly run away with the booty. Rehan saw to it that Vikram got accustomed to this trade as he found him to be bright and intelligent and will take his trade far ahead. Vikram got hooked and was lured by the instant money, thrill and power that these clandestine activities offered him
    Rehan started engaging Vikram in far more important assignments. This was his first kidnapping attempt for the team. It was Vikram who was asked to lay the plan but he was scared... Pinki was their first catch and they wanted to make some real big money. The Auto Driver’s name was Kiran. He was a regular for Rehan. They had forcibly brought Pinki to Kiran’s house.
    Pinki woke up. The nauseating effect of the powder in the dirty cloth was unbearable. Vikram got charged up. He was waiting to see the reaction from the poor girl. She was lying on the bed. Pinki looked at Vikram with fear but was surprisingly calm. She took her school bag lying nearby and got up slowly.
    "Where am I” she asked Vikram.
    “Stay there, I say. You can’t go anywhere” shouted Vikram.
    " Who are you?” she asked. Vikram was charged up and full of nervous energy and was quite irritated by such a cool reaction from a young girl.
    Vikram showed his knife and asked her to stay put. Vikram wanted to show that he was in charge of the scene.
    Pinki sat back quietly and was looking at Vikram. Pinky's innocent looks disturbed Vikram. He was not prepared for it.
    Vikram could not look at Pinki after a point. He looked here and there. He was constantly gazing at his cell phone. They kept two phones. A temporary Sim for crimes purposes and a permanent one for regular. On Vikram's directions Kiran kept threatening Pinki’s Dad from a different location of dire consequences and had demanded a sum of Rs.3 lakhs against his daughter Pinki’s release. Vikram was waiting for Kirans feed back .
    Rehan was also to call him. Rehan was roaming opposite Pinki’s Dad’s house and was keeping a watchful eye through his men looking around for her Dad’s reaction. He was unsure of Vikrams ability and did not want the Police to mess up things. They hoped that the girl's father won’t dare to risk his daughter’s life.
    Vikram's cellphone started ringing.
    “Hey Vikram” called Rehan from public booth.
    “Hey Rehan, what happened” asked Vikram.
    “Bad news." Pinki’s Dad has called the Police.” Informed Rehan
    “Oh, ****!!! That bloody fellow. Doesn’t he care for his daughter” shouted Vikram.”
    “Relax Vikram, we will wait and watch. Things don't work the way we want at all times.”
    “What is his response?” asked Vikram
    “He doesn’t seem to bother.” Said Rehan.
    “You come back, let us decide what to do” – Vikram.
    Vikram was very nervous and irritated. A lot of things ran through his mind. He knew Rehan will take charge of things and make it smooth. But he wanted to impress Rehan How long can he remain subordinate to Rehan. He looked at Pinki. Pinki was sitting calmly on the corner of the bed and was munching some biscuits kept for her by Vikram. Vikram had expected Pinki to shout or cry. She did not show any signs of nervousness. She slowly took out her bag and took out her books and was going through them. Vikram was getting irritated by Pinki's unpretentious behavior.
    “Aren’t you scared” shouted Vikram at Pinki and caught her hand.
    Pinki’s hand was ice cold and her eyes turned pale. Vikram saw the first signs of fear in Pink's face.
    He felt very bad. He placed his hand over Pinki’s hair and calmed down. He made an effort to smile.
    Pinki innocently smiled back. He sat besides Pinki and started looking at the book in her hand.
    “Do u like going to school” Vikram asked. Pinki nodded her head.
    “How much marks you get.” – Vikram.
    “A+" remarked Pinki innocently. Vikram had a smile on his face. He soon remembered his caring mom and Dad and his school days.

“Do not worry Pinki, you will be home soon. Do you love your Dad or Mom?”

Pinki was silent. Vikram comforted Pinki, offered her food, strawberry milkshake and chocolates. He showed Pinki a small toy which she loved very much.

“You will get back to your mummy soon” – said Vikram to Pinki

“My mummy is not at home. Daddy sent her somewhere.” – said Pinki. Vikram could sense a pain in her voice.
    “Your mummy is not with you. Where has she gone?” Asked Vikram
    “No, Daddy has brought a second mummy for me and she beats me.” Said Pinki
    “Where is your mummy?” – Vikram asked again
    “I don’t know.” Said Pinki. There was neither sadness nor happiness in Pinki’s face but a look of despair.
    “Does your Daddy love you?” – Vikram
    “Ya, but I want Mummy.” – said Pinki.
    “Have you never asked Daddy about Mummy?” Asked Vikram.
    “Daddy beats me whenever I talk of Mummy. He tells me to listen to my new Mummy. New Mummy is very bad. She doesn't play with me.”
    Vikram looked at Pinki. He felt very sad about her. Pinki talked with a maturity much ahead of her age. Circumstances seemed to have robbed her innocence. She seemed to be not happy at home.
    This was something unusual for Vikram. He has seen several Kidnap dramas on movies and was looking to mark his presence in his crime world but could not come to grips with reality.
    Vikram did not want to disturb Pinki further. Pinki was soon fast asleep at Vikram’s lap.
    Next day. Vikram and Rehman got together in a while . Things had gone horribly wrong. Pinki’s Dad did not budge and was not ready to give money. After repeated threatening calls from Kiran who was unaware of Rehabs observation, Pinky's dad obliged and had agreed to come with the amount at a given location. Kiran called up Vikram.
    Rehan was not convinced and asked Vikram to call back Kiran as the plan simply did not work.
    “Kill her.” Said a frustrated Kiran.
    “I will take care of the Police. We will dump Pinki’s body somewhere” said Rehan coolly.
    “No Rehan, No Kiran, be calm.” pleaded Vikram.
    “We have nothing to gain.” Vikram narrated Pinki’s story to his friends.
    “You can't get emotional in this trade.” Shrieked Rehan.
    "For three days, we are keeping this girl and have not earned anything. Her dad is a hopeless case. Dump the girl .” Said Kiran.
    Unaware of what lay in store for her, Pinki was fast asleep after having a good breakfast. Vikram was feeling bad for her and was somehow trying to convince his partners in crime of letting go the poor girl back home.
    "Look Vikram you can't get emotional and think of humanity in this trade. Crime world is like sainthood. We have to renounce everything and just target our goal."
    said Rehan.
    "Look I am in charge of this plan. Don't mess with me. I will let the girl go. I can't operate like this else I quit"
    "OK then we will dump you along with that girl" yelled Kiran.
    Rehan calmed Kiran down
    "Look Vikram we are not running an NGO. Crime world has only entry point but no exit point. I hope you understand this and you know the consequences. I have given word that you are in charge of this assignment and so will let you take decision but after this I will be having my way. Keep this in mind. "
    Vikram did not like what Rehan said and was determined to save the girl. He sat beside the girl. Rehan and Kiran left him alone and kept guard.
    “Pinki, you are a very nice girl. We are going to send you back to your Dad.” Said Vikram smilingly at her as her eyes opened again to unfamiliar surroundings.
    Vikram and Rehan were sitting in the Autorickshaw. Pinki sat next to Vikram. Kiran started driving it.
    “Will you make your way back to home from near your school? We will drop you there.” Said Vikram as he kept looking at the other two.
    Pinki nodded her head. Vikram thought Pinki was not looking much happy. He could not even look at Pinki’s face. Life can be very cruel, he thought. He recalled his younger days. His Mom and Dad were much better than Pinkys parents and loved him very much, he thought. There was silence. No one spoke after that. Kiran drove the Auto carefully and went close to Pinki’s school. He looked around.
    “Can you get down here, do u know this area?” Vikram asked Pinki again
    Pinki nodded her head. Her face showed no expression.
    The auto came to a halt. Pinki collected her bag and slowly got down. Vikram handed a packet of chocolates to Pinki. Pinki looked back at Vikram. Vikram smiled at her. The auto took off in top speed.
    Vikram looked back at Pinki.
    Pinki trudged her way back home slowly.
    "Look Vikram we can't go about this business this way. I leave you to decide what s good for you."
    He stopped the auto midway and gestured at Vikram.
    Vikram got angry over Kirans cold gesture and vowed not to work with him again.
    He got down and walked away.
    Rehan looked at him go past coolly and gestured to Kiran.
    " You take care of Vikram! "
    Rehan meant business

Written by
    Suresh Iyer

2. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

thks for liking this story

3. aarthi28

aarthi28 Platinum IL'ite

Nice story. I liked it. It's non only of pinky' age When a person did not get the correct love and care at the right time, their life also becomes miserable.
    I remember annai Theresa's wording. Whoever dislikes you, let you be the first person to love them.
    Thanks

4. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

Oooh poor pinky! How sad. How can that idiot be called as father