1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Goldy's Cleaning idea. Old is Gold.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Meenamohan, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

I want to share the way my husband’s grandma did for cleaning the house for the birthday party. Before that let me brief you about our home.
    Our house is a typical classy house. Loaded with furniture, all in good condition & made in teak. Why I mention is we do not throw any of them out saying “antique”. There are 3 Mother in laws in our house. I am the youngest DIL and to my amusement I saw them having attachment with the furniture & things around the house. One day being young I planned to dig out the cupboards and clean up everything, but in vain. I did not give it up. Next day I made a mark in all the things that are just there as dust collectors and told my husband I am going to keep them all in a cardboard if they are not being used in another 1 month time. It also did not work out well.:idontgetit:
    Then came my first daughter’s birthday, it was a blessing to all of us. Now Grand mother made a plan. She took away the remotes, car keys, even the purse without anyone’s knowledge. She started cleaning I joined her as soon as I saw her clearing the papers. Then it was as usual. My Mil was in the kitchen preparing food & all others were trying to go out. All dressed up came and sat on the table. I was wondering why are they all sitting at home after dressing up very well. She said now I am making up the place ready for the function so let you all clean the place. But none of them agreed to it. Then she said ok I am throwing out all the papers that I cannot understand or see it to be useless & whatever I am having with me. None nodded yes to it until they see their important things in her hand. :bowdownThen she said “ok we make a deal” You just clean your place and keep the excess even a single paper in the common area. Just spend one hour this Sunday. That’s it”
    All of us cleaned our places. The best part of it is. We pooled all the unwanted things or excessive things. Just for our knowledge she made an estimation of the things that we bought and kept under rags. Just guess !!! It was Rs 18000 + aahhhh!!!! Until then none of us were happy when our Grandmother said its there why do you want to buy. Now just imagine we could have spent it better in other things. Now every year we are having the practice of knowing how much we have wasted. It has become a competition amongst ourselves to be the least wasting person. Especially in this recession we can depend one the (G)Olddy’s advice to save our Money.:thumbsup

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

hello Meena
    \you should have posted this in Snippet.
    No wonder grand mothers are much smarter. I think it needs to be followed once in a while in everyones house, just to see how much unwanted things are been collected in the house...

3. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear meena,
    nice post. instead of giving long advice or lecture, grand ma made the people to do the things and made them understand the thing they have done.so smart she is!!
    "old is gold" is it not?:)
    with love
    pad.

4. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Hi Arunarc,
    I am new to this site. I was not aware of this snippet. just now I saw its been transfered to snippet. Actually I saw the contest for the month title & shared with you my experience. Thats it. Thank you for creating this awareness.

5. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

You are right Padmini, When I first saw Granny (I call her Paatti tamil). I was amused with her talents. She does a lot of things in her 80s even. she has never spoken a word extra and that we all have a GREAT respect for her.thats y this plan worked out very well.

6. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

You are right Padmini, When I first saw Granny (I call her Paatti tamil). I was amused with her talents. She does a lot of things in her 80s even. she has never spoken a word extra and that we all have a GREAT respect for her.thats y this plan worked out very well.

7. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

8. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

9. umasaras

umasaras Senior IL'ite

hi Meena,
    its very true that we tend to colect lot of unwanted things and we need to have a check on it from time to time so that it reduces. Patti's idea is true for all.
    regards,
    uma

10. rajiravi

rajiravi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Meena,

You are right. Everybody listened to Patti (patti sollai thatathey) and did some cleaning work.

But, at last, what happened to the rags you were trying to clear? It is still like that, even after 5 years ? :rotfl

Love

Raji