1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Golden Oldies

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Dec 22, 2007.

1. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

An apt title for an apt article.

You have put forth the plight of the oldies in such plain words. I wish that more of todays generation read this article and learn a lesson from it.

Atleast, i am happy that i am surrounded with people who take care of their parents and siblings. But finance management...i just don't understand when they will take this seriously.

Even after earning a neat 50K per month, they are broke by the 4th week of the month. The n number of EMI's, parties, drinking, smoking, eating out too often etc.

Another fad i have noticed these days is using only brands.

The school and college going kids go out for a walk and meet at CCD or Barista. The other day i had gone with my SIL to CCD as she had to meet her friend there. 3 coffee cost me Rs. 231/-. That was the first time i had been to CCD and i was aghast when i got the bill.

I came home and was talking to my husband about it. All these kids who frequent these places...do they know what a criminal waste of money this is.bonk If they visit orphanages they will know how other kids are living.

Luckily, i've got my parents genes. We never knew whom they have helped and in what way. As kids we have even had meagre meals like just rice and pickles...coz there was someone out there who needed that money more than us.

Today whatever we have is ours my husband and mine. We have worked really hard to get it...but luckily no credits or outstandings.

And waiting for our parents to join us. They are all busy with their activities.

But their blessings are always with us. I think i have deviated from the topic.

Warm regards
    Roopa.

2. Noorie

Noorie New IL'ite

Sirji

Apki yeh sari baateei bahaut achi lagi.

Too good Sir.

I was suppose to go on holiday with little cash and little credit.
    Now I will TRY not to go.
    First we have to own and than should have it.

Thanx Sir

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  3. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Hi Noorie,

Great to see that this article has helped you take a wise decision.

Seeing the current economy it is advisable to save as much as possible rather than spending recklessly as we don't know what is in store for us tomorrow.

Roopa.

Sorry Kamalji...replied in your thread here.

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Roopa,

It is me who sould apologise to u, for not replying to yr FB for 8 months.Sorry somehow it skipped my mind, till Norrie revived it.Thanks Noorie.

Yes, and with the latest I pod out, people are rushing in to buy, and every restaurant is full these days.But ask these people to pay back what they owe to people like me, which they have taken as intrest free loans, and u will hear sorry, I don’t have it now.

But u have it for these fancy ganjets which will soon be outdated eh !

Thanks for yr great comments.Regards.kamal

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Noorie,

Don’t let me scare u.A little bit of credit even I use sometimes, but I pay it of at the earliest, so no harm there.But to get into the habit of borrowing, and then paying heavy interest is foolish.

A few days back I read all the major Credit Cards, who used to charge 40% per annum interest on outstanding dues, have now raised it to 50% pa. Is anything worth that amount of interest ?

Regards/kamal

6. Navaljee

Navaljee Senior IL'ite

Dear Kamalji

Our older generation, our parents, acted with intuition. they knew that all the things that parishes should not be en massed. If we look at our young generations cupboards, all the tills are filled with the clothes they hardly would use once in a year. Even if they would go on buying. This applies to all of their purchasing habits.

Where as our parents either purchased gold or land. That is the difference.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  7. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji
    Old is always gold. Our parents worked so hard and brought properties, but during that time too 5000 was a very big amount with that some land they are minting money. But today 50 lakhs is equal to that 5000 even when we are buying that piece of land, we need to think twice, what about our kids they will have to buy the same for 1 crores tomorrow.
    Whatever it is I think our parents were smarter then us. So today we know the value of money.

8. Bhiku Mhatre

Bhiku Mhatre Senior IL'ite

Kamalji : Enjoyed this, when I looked at the title I thought this was about you - you know Golden and Oldie...haha:rotfl

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Navalji,

I agree with u that what our parents scrounged and saved and bought was homes and gold, and what today’s generation buys is mostly lousy and perishable.

I see unmarried boys and girls earning 30000 and avove, not saving anything, but just spending it all.

This is the difference.Regards.kamal

10. Uma Jogi

Uma Jogi Senior IL'ite

Hi Kamalji..
    A very nice writeup, and i love to nominate it for the best post of the month..!! thanks for sharing...!!