Gold @ AbhuDhabi Airport..

Discussion in 'Places & Events in Abu Dhabi' started by AnithaPartha, May 7, 2012.

1. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Ladies,
    Recently, we visited gold shop in Abhu Dhabi airport. My sister got a diamond ring there.. It was 18carat gold & belgium diamond stones.. Is it worth for $550??
    Can we trust the shop inside airport area?

In India, we have 22 carat gold.. but abhu has 18 carat gold..

throw your thoughts pls...

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

anitha, me has 18, 21,22 ..diamond is always set in 18k here. yes it is worth.. i have bought diamond rings , pendants in the me set in 18k..and they also come with the certificate..

3. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

any diamond jewellery is made of 18ct gold only..
    other gold ornaments you have options like 18ct,22ct..but diamonds can actually be studded into 18ct only..so even in India u get 18ct only

4. premabarani

premabarani Gold IL'ite

Hi
    All diamonds are set in 18k only for the strong setting,in middle-east & also in India. But in India they don't reveal that it is 18k. Airport shops are trustable.
    have a nice day.

Prema Barani

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sushma, i know jewellers who set it in 22k in chennai.. personally my nose ring was set in 22k and my cousin's ear ring was also set in 22 k. and i do agree that many shops do not disclose the fact..

6. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

shanvy,
    nice to know that diamonds can be set in 22ct also but usually all the branded diamond jewellery like nirvana,gili etc are 18ct only and even in bigger jewellery shops they tell us before buying that its 18ct only..so i thought it cant be 22ct..thanks for updating

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

yes, the traditional jewellers do set it in 22 ct..but the branded always is in 18k with rhodium plating, platinum .
    i infact asked the jeweller here this time, because of the back screws in diamond earring, and he showed me a few pieces that had the traditional screws and said the screws were 22k..it was surprising to hear that..

but 18k gives your the flexibility of setting the stones i suppose.. than 22k..

8. AnithaPartha

Wow. A lot of responses. Thanks Shanvy, Sush, Prema ;)
    I was little worried because I purchased diamond ring for 1st time in airport.. So, I was worried. I even verified it in my native god shop & they saw in their mirror, saying that it is printed as 18c & its good like..

So, now am relieved after seeing your responses..

9. AnithaPartha

Shanvy,

I think traditional type screws will suit only normal gold ear rings but not for diamond ear rings. I think it wont look that good na.. am I right? I too have a diamond ear ring(my marriage gift), and it has bombay screws on it. One relative gifted me 1 ear ring like that & it is very loose though I turn it fully.. so, am planning to take stones out & put it into a diff design.. ;(