1. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Going to Cochin for Conference - What to see & shop there?

Discussion in 'Cochin' started by jaishree9, Jan 5, 2008.

1. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Hi
    Happy new year to all iIl.
    I am going to cochi to attend a a national seminar .can anyone plz tell me what to see & wher to shop & what is famous there.Can I plan one day visit to rameshwaram how far it is ? as I am from Rajasthan I have no idea.Plz help me.

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Re: information abt cochin

Jaishree9,

Lucky you, going to Cochin! Kerala State Tourism has many lovely trips in and around Cochin- you can choose one from the hotel. You might want to visit the Jew Town (absolutely beautiful). You can buy reasonably priced antiques there. Other sights are Bolgatty Palace, Chinese fishing nets etc.

I dont think a day trip to Rameshwaram is possible.

If spiritually inclined, you can do a day trip to the Guruvayoor Temple of Lord Krishna. It is the major temple in Kerala, where GuruBhagwan and VayuBhagwan installed an idol of Mahavishnu. Just half an hour from Eranakulam, is the powerful Devi Temple of Chottanikkara where Devi is manifest in forms of Saraswathy,Lakshmi and Durga in one form. Very powerful Devi and beautiful temple.

As day trips you can visit Thekkady, Kumarakom,Munnar or do a back water tour on a kettuvellom which is a Kerala country boat. All these are wonderful experiences.

You can buy gorgeous sarees, salwar suits, textiles in Jayalakshmi,Kalyan Silks. If you love sarees in handloom off white with gold border- the typical Kerala sarees- Cochin is a good place to buy.

To buy beautiful brass,bronze, metal showpieces,lamps at fair price- try AKP Metalodrome near Menaka Theatre.

Try Kerala food like aappam n stew, puttu with black chana or moong.

Enjoy, Cochin is great.

regards
    Vidya

3. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Hi Vidya 24
    Thanx a lot for such a prompt response. Thanx for the information. I wud definately like to by some silk sarees.I have heardAbt Guruvayur Temle & wud like to visit.
    Regards

4. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

Hi Jaishree9,

It is nice to hear that you are going to Cochin... As Vidya told u can visit Guruvayur Temple.. Also Chottanikkara Temple, which is very famous... Also a back water trip in the Kochi backwaters is also a very good idea... I am sure you would love that...

You can also visit Cherai beach which is one of the most beautiful beaches in Kerala. There is an Elephant training centre 45 km from Ernakulam known as Kodanad. This place is very beautiful and As a part of this project, Kaprikkad, a village lying 3km adjacent to Kodanad on the Periyar River banks has been set up in 2006 for entertaining visitors in the most natural and environmental friendly way.

I had a visit to this place last year and loved that...

5. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Hi ManjuMnair
    Thanku for the information .So nice of u to reply.I will let u know what places I have visited after returning.
    Regards

6. Sruthu

Sruthu New IL'ite

Thanks Vidya and Manju for the info.
    Do let us know if have any more suggestions for shopping and what to do while in ernakulam.I am going to be there for more than a month.
    Any suggestions on what are the best areas to reside in ernakulam.It would be a bonus if it is close to temples and medical facilities
    Any well known beauty parlours?

Thanks,