Going straight into employement and doing degree via home learning.........wise move?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Indigo88, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Indigo88

Indigo88 New IL'ite

Hi all,

I dropped out of uni before and was thinking about doing a Chemical Engineering degree. However, I may drop this, perhaps the work is not as interesting as I first though. I'm 24 now and my younger sister and all of my younger cousins will graduate before me and will have a house and marry at a young age, I am slighly jealous about this.

My plan is to now work in finance earning earning a very good salary in first year of employement at 26 (with one year of training before) in the next 3 years, I will earn a relatively good salary with bonuses. Then on I will take chartered financial advisor qualifcations and at 29 become fully qualified and earn £50k/$80k. I can earn upwards up £90k/$140k at 33. The work is interesting so to speak. At 27 I may purchase my own home, which I would like my independence and hopefully marry in the same year.

I will take Bsc Mathematics degree via open university part time and graduate aged 31. Moreover, my career direction may tilt towards teaching/engineering/finance/business/stats.

What are your thoughts on this? Wise move?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013

2. shire

shire Senior IL'ite

Re: Going straight into employement and doing degree via home learning.........wise m

I think you are making a Wise decision ....good luck

3. curious28

curious28 Silver IL'ite

Re: Going straight into employement and doing degree via home learning.........wise m

yup sounds gud :)

4. alekya1

alekya1 Gold IL'ite

Hi indigo,

You dropped from taking Chemical Eng which you think doesn't suit you. Fine. You have take the one in which you are comfortable and capable of doing well. Just want to refer to your other thread where you mentioned that you dropped out of business degree. When you want to take something in open university part-time, then is it not possible for you to take the business?