1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Going for a movie with a baby?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Shems, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Shems

Shems Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

I am a mother of 11 months old boy. Is it OK to bring my baby to a theatre?

I have seen my friends and relatives bringing their babies who are under one year, to theatre. I am worried about the sound in theatre and if that will harm the baby.
    I would like to know when he can go to the theatre?I need an expert advice.

2. itsmebhagi

itsmebhagi IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shems,

As such no expertise can answer such a question because of the fact that all babies are different in each way... and what one baby feels may not be the same with the other... so people can only suggest do's and dont's.... :)

Analyse the way your kid responds to sound and video...may be you can test at home... after seeing the response you can take your kid to noisy areas like theatre... but however it is, avoid taking till he is an year old... even though you would be well-prepared with things for him...there can be unexpected situations arising...so its better if he is a bit bigger, which makes things easier for you... also its good to avoid crowded areas that might make the kid feel uneasy!

I have seen very little babies sleeping in theatres...and some watching movies...n few crying continuously that either of the parent go out for walk... so on the whole its like straining the kid... and the situation becomes so embarrassing when kid cries as it's a nuisance to others watching the movie....:hide:

So decide considering all these issues! :thumbsup I wish you enjoy with the baby even its in your house:)

1 person likes this.
  3. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shems,

We went for a movie only after my DS was 3 years old (now he is 15 years old). At that time also i used to close his ears whenever there was too much of sound. Even we didn't go for movie until then. Same for DD also. First movie we took her to superman movie and she got very scared. Then we again waited for another two years and took her after pacifying her a lot.

Though I am not an expert I think under 1 year is too early to take the baby to movie.

Regards
    Manjukps

4. angelvoice

angelvoice Gold IL'ite

i think under one year olds could be easily disturbed by dolby sound effects etc in the theater... dont think it will be good for their eardrums also.... they would also be fussy (each kid is different)...

5. Tashsin

Tashsin Gold IL'ite

My DS just turn one year old..even I have seen so many persons with 3-4months baby watching movie but I don't prefer so much high sound in movie ...I feel it can harm baby...

6. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I took my 13 months old daughter to the theater. She was ok till the lights were on. After that it was crying session. I was sitting outside the theater entertaining my DD. She started crying when I was near the entrance itself.

My friend has been taking her DD right from when she was 2 months old.

My suggestion would be to skip the movies for a while. It just causes stress for the LO.

7. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

I took my DS to watch DON 2 when he was around 7 months.
    Went for a late night show; after properly feeding him dinner; took the car-seat inside and covered his ears with monkey-cap; also covered the carseat with a light blanket. He slept till the climax; then he woke coz of all the dishum-dishum sounds; and BF'd him till the end of the movie...
    Things people do to watch a shahrukh khan movie... :))-

B/w since then we go to theatre occassionally; mostly for malayalam movies (lesser "action" ) Now he is one and half years; we are planning to watch "Life of PI" once it is released...

My suggession; take a chance. Select a time when you are sure your LO will sleep; feed him "stomach-full"; better make an agreement with your DH that if your LO cries he has to take the kid out and soothe the baby; while you watch the movie and chill :)) Afterall ; mommies deserves break too; rightChillout!

3 people like this.
  8. shachu

shachu Senior IL'ite

My son his 1 year and 1 months old and thinking of taking him to IMAX here is hyderabad where tamil movie gets released. He watches TV, but only for few minutes. Do not know how he would react, if anything happens, DH is always there to take him for a walk :)

9. lucky2

lucky2 Platinum IL'ite

today we have been to 'skyfall' movie with 18 months old..i gave him lollypop..he was okay with sounds but all very excited seeing whites in the theatre and started making sounds and all blabbering..!i took him out on a stroller and made him sleep and probably missed half n hour show in between..anyways movie is not worth watching,went just because my husband wanted to watch it..