1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Going crazy with the my teenage son having Dyslexia and ADD

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by helplessmom, Nov 23, 2013.

1. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

Hi with all due respect I would like to suggest that you take a second opinion for your nephew before accepting this diagnosis as final. I have never heard of a MR diagnosis being given so late in life the child I understand is already a teen? It would be diagnosed earlier, much much earlier. It could be that this doctor is not as experienced as you are believing perhaps? Anyway MR is a very serious label to slap on a kid so please do some due diligence and go to few more doctors. Dyslexics are also slow learners and slow learners do fall behind their peers. Due to the environment and all the problems you have detailed already which he went thru for so many years without getting the proper help he may have fallen behind also. This is also possible. Often it can happen that once you get the right tools/diagnosis/method to reach him he will catch up.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. fellowblogger

fellowblogger Silver IL'ite

dear helplessmom I feel extremely sorry for your sister and I pray to god that she gets some kind of help...

I have a far cousin whose son happens to be mentally challenged. he dosent look or talk normally he must be like elder than me by 5-10yrs he also has a sister who wil be around 5yrs younger than him. I don't know much details about them and they are from Karnataka.

but all I can tell you is that, his mom never considered him as a abnormal child, I never saw her repenting or depressed about anything and yes she had a great support system i.e. her hubby her parents and she has her own women's committee. shez actively involved in organizing many events and I have heard that her son also works somewhere now. she is actively trying to from a committee to help people who are mentally challenged.

It is not easy to be in your phase and I think no mom/child deserves to go through this situation. But unfortunately you are going through this and I pray to god that he gives you strength to face this and to find a way to help your son and yourself out of this situation.

god bless you dear.

3. pathak2610

pathak2610 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Helpless mom
    i'm just seeing this thread after many years, and I hope you and your son are doing much better.

If you are still looking for options, please try universities like Sri Sri Ravi Shankar university (bangalore) or visit their bangalore ashram to check various occupational options for your son.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Happy pongal. Thanks that I got an alert. I read through tears. Like brethren is there a word to express the same for women!
    Regards.