1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Going Crackers Over Crackers

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

First I thought of naming this blog ‘DEAR CHETAN BHAGAT” but then realized that the abovementioned hack is already getting more than his deserved attention and decided to ignore him as much as possible. Instead let me start with a couple of nephews of mine.

The two had landed in my house a couple of diwalis ago and as soon as they arrived they developed a searching look and started looking for something.

“What are you looking for?” the daughter asked them. “Crackers” came the reply. The look on their face when she told them that we don’t do fireworks was exquisite. They looked at us as if we were malevolent entities after their blood.

“But that is against our tradition” burst out one of them. “ It is in the shastras!”. I didn’t tell him I cared two hoots for the so-called shastras but he went on to explain that Rama was welcomed back in Ayodhya with fireworks after bumping off Ravana. “ Sure they had sparklers and bombs in Treta Yuga” said the daughter.

His younger brother explained that not in Treta Yuga but in Dvapara Yuga fireworks must have existed because Narakasura before kicking the bucket due to Krishna asked him that his death must be remembered every year with the bursting off crackers `”Good riddance” was the chorus in the house when the two fireworks fans left.

Yes, my daughter gave up fireworks when she was at school where the students took a plege that they won’t add to the pollution through crackers. Alas even many adults don’t have such a m ature approach. In fact it is so bad that the Supreme court had to stwp in and bn the sale of crackers during the Festival of Lights which has become Festival of Noise and Air Pollutions thanks to the eardrum bursting crackers and toxins releases into the atmosphere by fireworks.

Delhi is among the 20 most polluted cities in the world and during Diwali the pollution rises manifold . The worst victims of this are children who develop lung related diseases like bronchitis and asthma..

The abovementioned hack represents the juvenile mindset . For him fireworks are tradition, a ban is communal. He displayed his blindingly dazzling intelligence by saying at this rate Christmas trees should be banned too along with goat sacrifice during Id-ul-Zuha. Fireworks are not integral to the celebrations but the trees and goat sacrifices are integral to the two fests Before asking goat sacrifice ab during Id people should ask goat sacrifice to be halted during KaliPuja and animal sacrifices banned in many temples (To be fair many Kali Puja venues symbolically “sacrifice” a pumpkin nowadays instead of goats.).

Another argument against ban is it will take away lot of jobs in fireworks shops and manufacturing units. Well, people may be able to find other jobs but not other lungs.

The third and most valid criticism is should Supreme Court take on the mantle of the executive. It is for the government to issue such ban orders. Normally this is a valid point. But what do you do when the executive dithers fearing loss of popular support and its impact on next polls if such a seemingly drastic decision is taken? Somebody has to step in to fill the vacuum. That is what the Supreme Court has done.

So let us not go crackers over crackers and look forward to a relatively pollution-free diwali shrugging off pedlars of unhealthy add- ons to the celebrations.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    satchitananda likes this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

Before even we get to the crackers, we need to evaluate how many factories are polluting the air and water in India. Do automobiles have emission test to make sure that they are not emitting more than the relevant emission into the air? Despite all the effort to find alternate energy sources, India still is a major coal burner to generate electricity. Do we know what kind of chemicals are pumped into the farm lands to increase yield? As you rightly said, these are Executive responsibilities.

In the most polluted cities in the world, Gwalior is #2, Allahabad is #3, Patna is #6, Raipur is #7 and Delhi and Ludhiana are #11 & #12 respectively. There are 34 Indian cities in the top #100 and they are all not polluted by Diwali celebrations.

Viswa

3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

iwa true the pollution is already there. But at least in Delhi the pollution increases exponentially during the festival, say about five times. Studies have shown that fireworks cause lung related ailments like asthma and bronchitis. Fireworks augment the pollution that already exists.

4. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Dear Balajee,
    It so happens that I also live in Delhi. I do not know about you but the Supreme Court, while delivering that verdict did not count me. They never do. Delhi is the national capital where not only the Indian big shots live but the bigger than biggest international shots live there. I mean those guys in Chanakyapuri, you know what I mean. Then there are people who live around Rashtrapati Bhavan, Parliament, Janpath, Rajpath, Race Course Road. These guys who include the judges themselves and who run the country were getting suffocated. The smoke from the narrow lanes of Darya Ganj, Chandni Chowk, Roop Nagar, Kamala Nagar and other dense colonies where the culprits live in the form of common citizens was troubling them. This is the time when their children come to visit them form the elite schools in the hill stations in India and abroad and they can not see their agony.
    Since they can do nothing to control the pollution by the vehicles they ply through out the year, they found a quick fix for some 15 days reprieve.
    I was told some friends are leaving for hill stations with their families during this ban to fire the crackers where there is no such ban. India believes in Jugadment.
    Happy Diwali to all.

5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

6. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Laws, verdicts.... come what may some people will do what they want to....

Pollution ?? Uhh who cares....
    Why do i need to contribute to nature or environment, i am working hard to make my living...

Its just one day i burst crackers, whats the big deal about it.... well these are some of the things i have heard from people....

I really appreciate your daughter for such a matured thought of not bursting crackers....

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Nandini thanks. If everyone shares your abovementioned ideas on bursting crackers we would be choking to death.

8. nandinimithun

Hii
    You got me wrong there.... I mentioned that those are the things which i have heard from people, and some happen to be my good friends....

I stopped bursting crackers in my school days..... what i love about diwali is the dias and lights everywhere....

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

I didn't get you wrong. I know you are just listing the silly excuses people give for bursting crackers.sesthe silly excuses people give for bursting crackers. Diwali for me is the festival of lamps and good food . No fireworks.

nandinimithun likes this.
  10. nandinimithun

Oh ya good food too, how did i miss that