1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

God has given us the opportunity to save some lives

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, May 28, 2011.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

God has given us the opportunity to save some lives​

I have written about our life in Jamshedpur in one of my blogs. Life was going very smoothly until I returned with my second born son in March 1964. My brother and sister in law had accompanied me and the children and they left after two days for Calcutta.

They had spent two days at Calcutta with a friend and then they left for Madras. They were lucky they left because the very next day riots started all over West Bengal and Bihar.

In East Bengal that was under Pakistan, communal riot had started. Hindus were tortured and killed and so they were all returning to India. After listening to their frightening experience and seeing their plight, in West Bengal and Bihar Hindus also started riot in retaliation. All the Muslim families were targeted and they underwent untold sufferings. Lot of them was murdered and their things were looted and burnt.

In the beginning Telco Colony was peaceful and only in the other parts of the city the riot was in full swing, but people were afraid that any moment it could start here also. We were very much concerned about our neighbour Abdul Baqi who was a muslim and also a colleague of my hubby and we advised him to move to a safer place. We came to know that Muslims were given shelter at a mosque about ten miles from our place and police protection was given to them. But though Baqi was afraid, he put up a brave face and told that Allah would take care of him. It was a Friday and at midnight he called out from his house and told that some people were throwing stones at his house. My hubby went out and saw no one. On Saturday morning my hubby went to the office and being half day he returned home at noon.

In the office he came to know that in Telco residential colony also the riot had started and so when he was returning home he brought a taxi and told Baqi to leave home immediately with his family and explained to him the seriousness. Baqi had no time to take anything as my hubby told him that the condition was very bad and he should leave at once if he wanted to save himself and his family. He also told the sardarji driver not to stop the vehicle on any account and to leave them at the mosque where Muslims were sheltered under police protection. The driver was known to my hubby and was a good chap. Still we were all very much worried till we got the news from the driver that he left them at the mosque. He told that some people tried to stop him but he managed to drive without stopping. Later we came to know that Baqi’s youngest daughter had lost her voice due to panicky after witnessing the riot scenes.

Barely had they left the house lot of hooligans came with lethal weapons and finding the door locked, they broke open the door. They smashed all things, took all the clothes and set fire. They looted fan, sewing machine and other costly things. We were not able to do anything and could only watch in silence. The other neighbours also could do nothing. Later curfew was imposed and shoot at sight instruction was given and army took over control. All types of rumours were spread and people told that Muslims were joining together to attack the Hindus. In each area citizens’ voluntary groups were formed to do night patrolling. People had even brought iron rods from construction sites to defend themselves.

The situation was brought under control after 4, 5 days and normalcy returned. Most of the Muslims were butchered in the city where there population was less. After normalcy returned, most of the Muslims who were lucky to survive the riots left for their native place. After this incident Telco company had allotted quarters to Muslims in groups of apartments. After six months our neighbour returned and we came to know about his daughter. He told that he could not find words to thank my hubby, but for his timely action the whole family would have perished. He also moved to the new place.
    This was not the only time we were able to save lives, but later also God had given us the opportunity to save lives.

2. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

God bless your family always !!!!!!!!

But for your concern for their safety, they could have been in danger.

Reading your lines itself made me understand how scary the situation was....:hide:

How can people be so cruel ....i just cant understand.
    what makes them kill others in the name of religion. :spin?????????

3. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Dear Ma,

With the help of the ALMIGHTY you were ablde to manage the situation. Having the 6th sense Human beings are not thinking about the pros and cons before they are entering into any venture. I can say Humans are the enemies of the Humans.
    Still the cruelty continues in all over the world.

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Sunitha,
    It was really a very scary situation and it was God's will that the family should be saved. The Punjabi driver had played a major role in saving those precious lives.
    People forget that each and everyone belongs to the same human race when they become religious fanatics. Mindless killing of innocents are still continuing in the name of religion.
    Love,
    PS

sindmani likes this.
  5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Sreemathi,
    Yes, it was God's will that we were able to save the family.

The mindless killings of innocents is still continuing and only the God Almighty should infuse good sense to the perpetrators.
    Love,
    PS

6. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

Pushpa Ma,

Its so nice that you ,your DH and the punjabi driver have saved the life of your friend's family....its all because of the god almighty....

Reading the incident i can feel how scary it was for you all...

It is we the human have religion and have fights within our same people...

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Uma,
    When God gives us the opportunity to do some good deed we should seize it without fail.

We were young at that time and with two babies and with my mil staying with us we really had a tough time.

God is great and he had given us the courage to face many such incidents later in life also. Thus we had become hard nuts to crack.

No religion teaches violence, but religious fanatics use religion as a tool to settle scores.
    Thanks for your comments,
    Love,
    PS

sindmani likes this.