Goan/Mangalorean recipes

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by goan, Jun 6, 2007.

1. fiona

fiona Bronze IL'ite

1 tinned mackeral in brine
    1/2 tspn cumin seeds
    1/2 onion finely chopped
    1/2 crushed red chilly
    few curry leaves

METHOD

drain the water from mackeral and keep aside.
    Heat 1 tbspn of oil in a pan add cumin seeds when it crackles add the curry leaves and the chopped onion and cook till it is softened.Than add the crushed chilly, stir for some time and than finally add the mackeral. mix well and enjoy as a side dish with rice.it tastes good even with bread.

2. fiona

fiona Bronze IL'ite

Beans Foogath

[​IMG]
    1/2 tsp mustard seeds
    1/2 tsp cumin seeds
    1-2 dry red chillies
    few curry leaves
    250 grms green beans- cut french style
    1 medium onion -chopped
    1 green chilli-slit
    2 tbspn fresh grated coconut
    salt to taste

Method:- heat oil in a vessel, splutter the mustard seeds ,than add cumin seeds , curry leaves, red chilli.Than add the chopped onion and green chilli, fry till onions are soft than add the green beans and salt , mix well, do not add any water . cover the vessel , put some water on the lid and let the veg cook in the steam ..on low flame .stir in between .The beans should have a crunch .... when cooked add the coconut and mix ... switch off the gas...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  3. fiona

fiona Bronze IL'ite

Vegetable Soup with pasta.

[​IMG]
    A simple and yet tasty and healthy soup to keep you going.....

This is a simple soup which I learnt from my mum...It is so simple , anybody can make it.When we were kids mum used to make this soup she used to add the alphabets (if you remember)they were tiny little macaroni.It used to be like treasure hunt or i'd rather say alphabet hunt in the soup for us ,that is for me and my brother..The alphabets looked so cute floating in the soup...I cannot find them anymore ,don't know if they are even availabble now?
    Anyways, I made this soup today and used shell pasta... It tasted soooo good, ate it with some garlic bread..
    Sending this to pasta party

Ingredients:-
    1 cup -any kind of cooked pasta,
    1 small onion- choppped,
    1small tomato- chopped,
    vegetables (I used green beans, carrots,cauliflower florets,potato)- 1 cup all chopped rougly,
    1 maggie cube,
    1tbsp oil.

Method:-
    1. Heat oil in a vessel,
    2. Fry the onions when softened add the tomatoes.
    3. than add the vegetables 2cups water, maggie cube and let cook till potatoes are soft and lastly add the cooked pasta to it ...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  4. sugarnspice

sugarnspice Bronze IL'ite

Hi Goan,
    Can you please post your rechad recipe. My MIL used to make loads of it for me, but unfortunately she passed away suddenly at a fairly young age, with no illnesses. So now I have been hunting for a good recipe and have not yet found a good one. Thank you, I hope you can help me.