1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Go Goa : Paradise beach and other south attractions.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by amihere, Oct 31, 2011.

1. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Oops I posted(I thought) this on 14th Oct ,but this was only drafted in my inbox!!!!!

We had planned to go to South Goa beaches today, like Palolem(also known as the paradise beach) and Patnem and also to check out Cabo de Rama fort and Agonda beach on the way. After a breakfast of toast and eggs we started at around 9.30AM to Margao since we have to fill petrol. (In Goa you won’t find petrol pumps in every nook and corner, so have to get a full tank whenever possible. But you can see shops selling petrol in 1litre bottles; they charge 5-10Rs than the normal going rate) From Margao it’s around 37Kms to Palolem. We took NH17, the ride was a good one, since the day wasn’t much sunny and there are plenty of trees providing shade.

When it was only 5Kms to reach Canacona we saw a diversion to Cabo de Rama fort. The fort is around 15Kms from the highway and the ride was bumpy for a few meters.. The fort is not something very great; a circular structure, a small church and the gate are the only remnants of the old, once huge fortshakehead. I remember reading that the church is still in use. It’s a great view from the fort though.Still you might not be that sad to take it out from itinerary. It was around 11.30 when we reached the fort, we had an apple and some water and resumed the ride to Palolem beach. Agonda beach is the one you can see from the fort. Another 20Kms of ride took us to Palolem and the moment we parked our bike we were hawked by a guy for Dolphin ride. After bargaining the amount down to 1K for 40minutes he took us on board his boat. We managed to catch glimpse of three dolphins and then after waiting for a few more minutes headed back to shore. He also took us to the butterfly island and some other island (don’t remember the name); but didn’t get down there as the shore is too steep. The ride by itself wasn’t so great except for the dolphins.

By then we were really hungry and started to check out the restaurants. (I had noted down three restaurants which were suggested in different sites and blogs). Finally we decided to have from “Cocktails and Dreams”. It has a nice ambience and two types of floorings, one is the normal tiles one and another one with sand. We decided to have lunch from the sand side of the restaurant. Food was great:thumbsup, we had lassi,juice,green salad and a pizza. One pizza was more than enough for two people. And it had the thinnest crust I had ever seen. After lunch and walking along the beach for a few minutes we decided to check out Patnem beach. We lost our way and had to come back all the way again. It’s so close to Palolem actually. The beach is not so great; I think it’s mainly a fishing beach. Fishing boats were there, and there weren’t any tourists. So we headed back to Varca. By that time it was around 4.30 in evening.

We took the same route back, from Palolem to Cabo de Rama fort.But instead of going straight to the fort got into NH17.Throught the highway you can see people selling cucumbers,I guess they are cultivated at home and is free from chemical fertilizers as each guy will have only 5-6 of them. By 5.30PM we were in Margao. Parked our bike and started searching for a good café for coffee. Since it was a Sunday most of the shops were closed. Finally we found a Nescafe coffee outlet which serves vending machine coffee (Not so great when compared to the coffee we make at home with Nescafe powder). We ordered two coffees and a walnut brownie. The brownie was also not soft and moist. Roamed around the town for an hour and did a small shopping:yes: before we left for Varca. After a dinner of chapathi and mutter paneer we decided to call it a day. (The mutter paneer was so tasty ; I would love to have it once more. The hotel has only 18rooms and we were the only guests that time. So it really felt like a home away from a home.)

Go Goa Part I

Go Goa Part III