1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Glass Bangles

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by krishnaamma, Oct 27, 2007.

1. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Glass Bangles ........mm I love them very much. From my childhood my grand mother used to get them for us for all the functions. She used to call the seller to our house or she will take us to the shops at the time of Navarathri. Because we are not allowed to wear glass bangles on school days.:thumbsdown

So we, me and my sister will be waiting for any function so that we can wear them. After coming to 11th std. I studied in a Hindu school and they will allow us to wear glass bangles. Usually my friends ask me 'is your father a bangle seller'?

Because I will be having a huge collection of bangles and I will change them daily and I used to make many combinations and wear.

Daily in my class, my friends will wait to see what I am wearing on the day. I usually get all my bangles from a near by shop. So if the shop keeper gets any new design bangle or new colour bangle he will call me or my brothers and tell about the bangle.

Hearing that we will go there to get them. The old man will say that I am having more bangles than his shop. How is this?:-D

But after some time, when I entered college, I could not find my size bangle in this shop.:-( So I started going to Ranganathan Street to get them. My friends also used to come with me and they also started pur. the bangle. We will visit to 'Pookadai' in Paris to get super update model bangles.

For my 'Seemandam' we got many bangles from there only. My father and brother arranged 23 one side and 22 another side and brought them for me. I was so happy to see that.

After Krishna's birth slowlly I reduced wearing them. Because when you hold him, they will break. So I am afraid to wear them, and stopped wearing them. I gave all my bangle collection to my sister and friends. Even my servent maid took some.

Now after seeing many new bangles in big sizes in the net I am thinking of putting them again.:clap

For the past 20 years I stopped putting them regularly. But I will wear them on functions. And who ever I see on Navarathri time I used to get them glass bangles only. And now a days I used to pur. many plastic , metal bangles which I like very much and I will keep them in my house. It is a very handy gift which we can give to girls who visits our home.

Bangle color meanings:
    Red - Energy
    Blue - Wisdom
    Purple - Independence
    Green - Luck
    Orange - Success
    Yellow - Happiness
    White - New Beginning
    Black - Power ( to ride of evil/ drusti)
    Silver - Strength
    Gold - Fortune.

Here are some tips about bangles:
    • The smaller the bangles around your wrist, the less likely they are to break.
    • Before you wear the new bangles, Put them in hot water for 10 - 15 min. So that life of the bangle will be more. That means they will not break easily.
    • If you are going to wear smaller size please use scented oil or soap.
    • Generally it is adviseble to remove them before going to bed.

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear krishnaamma,
    i am also a great lover of bangles and it was my mother who knew abt it a lot she would take me to the shop and i would load 2 dozens on each hand and come home i had this habit of leaning against the wall with my hand behind and phut all will go down breaking within a week somehow all would vanish, and again she would take me and i must mention one of my mama who used to get me malli poo because i was mad abt it too, and mehandi in plenty but none of these were liked by my husband, so no glass bangles or mehandi or a lot of flowers, i enjoyed all these premarriage and not after..thanku for recharging my memories of another day..sunkan

3. krishnaamma

Hi Sunkan,
    You are looking good. As lata said you are like HM:idea:
    I am also having many memories about bangles. After starting the blog I am remembering more and more things about them. I will try to post them in near future.
    Thanks for your reply.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi krishnamma,

I loved wearing glass bangles...had a variety...but somewhere down the years..stopped wearing them...now i just wear one red bangle for energy...

daughter now wears lot of bangles...seeing her interest, i am collecting metals, and plastic ones....

and as you said, they are great gifts to girls...

5. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Krishnamma !!!!!!!!
    I used to wear bangles when I was a kid but as soon as joined school.......stopped wearing them........
    I think, I am the only lady who does not like to wear bangles at all but in my state after marriage, we must have to wear conch shell white bangle and some red glass ones, and its a must.......
    Poor me.....for first one-two week, I managed these two.....then I feel awful because these glass ones used to brake while doing something.........so put a full stop into my wearing them and started wearing one single gold one...........
    I don't know, what will be my MIL's reaction seeing my empty hand, but really I don't like wearing jwelleries as most ladies do........
    Even I brought only one set of bangles during my marriage and that's it...........
    But love to see others wering handful of them in diff. colours.....
    Regards.

6. krishnaamma

HI Shanthi,

Even I stopped wearing glass bangles. I dont get my size :) still I love them. But while working it is better to remove them. Even I will remove my gold bangles when I start working, even in comp. But I love bangles. Now a days how many varities we can get? I am having a good collection.

7. krishnaamma

Hi Meeta,

As you said some ladies they dont like bangles. I dont know why. But who ever I come accross, I will make them to wear :) Just wear one atleast because it is our culture.Just wear in day time first and then you can wear regularly. Try, All the best!

8. vijikrishnan

vijikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Hai
    rishnaamma,
    I kije this topic very much beacuse i am mad after glass bangles and my daughter too. I stoppred wearing glass bangles after my daughters marriage. Now I am wearing two green bangles only.
    But i really wonder to see the Bangle colour meaning. This is the first time i am hearing so.I have to tell this to my daughter also. Thankyou for the post
    Viji

9. krishnaamma

True Viji,

I also stopped wearing glass bangles, but I am having a good collection and I used to wear them occasionally. I am happy that my blog is useful to somebody :)

10. varhem

varhem IL Hall of Fame

krishnaamma

You do write on different topics.I have gone through your recipes and have tried them.But these blogs,i am just reading them,one by one.Very interesting.Keep posting them.