1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Give me tips for fast cleaning

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Ushie, May 29, 2010.

1. Ushie

Ushie Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,

My dh's friend and his family is visting us suddenly(with in 2 days ) and only now he informed. They are staying here for a week and I have only 2 days to prepare. My house is a real mess now since we went out and returned only last week and also I have attend an important pary tommorow. So I have only one day to clean, shop and prepare everything. Please give me some tips for fast cleaning especially bathrooms, closents and also for cleaning kitchen, preparing food etc. thanks:)

2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Ushie

Try this scrubbing bubbles spray (I posted a thread on it :) its amazing and a lot easier to just spray wait for 5 mins and then spray wateror wipe with a tissue..no scrrubing or scratching for hours

Also for your kitchen range etc, try the heavy duty oven cleaner spray...same thing spray and wait for 5 mins and everything just comes off....also you can use baking soda...gives same effect

I would suggest preparing some north side dishes like bagara baingan, paneer curry etc. They can be made previous day and kept in freezer and when you warm them up just put coriander at the top of it and it would smell and taste great!!! you can also try to make sambar and keep it ready. might be some chutneys if you can (that too if you guys are planning to eat at home...) If not the above, you can just make puliyogare or curd rice for dinner as in the morning you would be out site seeing, can have lunch outside.

Try to buy some snacks like frozen samosa etc so that you can just fry them or jalapaeno poppers or so which you can warm up in oven and serve quickly..without much fuss

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ushie,

Srividya has given you some excellent tips.

First thing, don't panic!

Do what you can and leave the rest. No one is going to look into the nooks and corners. Straighten up your bathrooms and kitchen, do the beds for your guests and ofcourse, shop cleverly.

Indian stores have loads of ready to use preparations. You can buy stacks of rotis, instant powders for various curries and there is a large assortment of MTR spices which can be used for jiffy cooking. Also, buy ready cut and frozen green beans, carrots etc for quick fix veggies.
    If you boil thuvar and moong dhals and keep in the fridge, it is easy to take a portion of it and prepare sambars, rasams and dhals just by adding frozen veggies and the ready made powders.

Enjoy your guests and don't loose your cool. :thumbsup

L, Kamla

4. geethabm

geethabm Senior IL'ite

Hi..

First of all, Make sure that your house looks clean enough with no things on carpets, tables etc..start cleaning the house from the hall..since it is the most used.. Use a bag or basket to pick all the unwanted stuff, either store it or throw it... once the hall gets cleared of unwanted things on the floor/carpet ... using wet wipes, clean the furniture , TV etc... Move on to the next room which will be used... Remove all the clothes to be washed into a basket or laundry bag.. keep it inside any closet etc.. change the mats in the bathrooms / kitchen ... clean up all the counter tops in all the rooms.. This gives a clean look.. which itself give the house a cleaner look.. Using cleaning sprays , clean the tubs, sinks, stove , kitchen counter tops.. etc.. make sure that all the dishes on the dining table, kitchen go inside the cabinets.. clean up the floors with mop.. Vaccum the house...
    Go for frozen cut vegetables...this will make your task easy... make curd ready... the before night.. simultaneously, clean up the fridge, by removing all the small packs of veggies, bowls into one shelf.. spread shelfliners, or newspapers on the shelfs.. which will help u from additional cleaning job of spillings, and gives a very neat look... cut coriander into small stems n store it in an airtight container.. which makes ur task easy while cooking.. keep all tomatoes in a big bowl or basket.. clean the fridge doors etc with a wet tissue using some cleaners..
    Be cool while working.. This itself will make u work faster..

5. Ushie

Ushie Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,
    Thanks for your tips. Till now I can able to manage, only planning for food (they are from kerala and I dont know much about their style, I browsed recipes and cooking) and sight seeing are difficult, since they are here for week days, my dh couldnt take leave, being a very busy month in office and my kid is having exams. Other wise things are going well so far. thanks again:)