1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Girlfriends rock!!

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by Nandshyam, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

In an evening class at Stanford the last lecture was on the mind-body connection - the relationship between stress and disease. The speaker (head of psychiatry at Stanford) said, among other things, that one of the best things that a man could do for his health is to be married to a woman whereas for a woman, one of the best things she could do for her health was to nurture her relationships with her girlfriends. At first everyone laughed, but he was serious.

Women connect with each other differently and provide support systems that help each other to deal with stress and difficult life experiences. Physically this quality "girlfriend time" helps us to create more serotonin - a neurotransmitter that helps combat depression and can create a general feeling of well being. Women share feelings whereas men often form relationships around activities. They rarely sit down with a buddy and talk about how they feel about certain things or how their personal lives are going. Jobs? Yes. Sports? Yes. Cars? Yes. Fishing, hunting, golf? Yes. But their feelings? Rarely.

Women do it all of the time. We share from our souls with our sisters/mothers, and evidently that is very good for our health. He said that spending time with a friend is just as important to our general health as jogging or working out at a gym.

There's a tendency to think that when we are "exercising" we are doing something good for our bodies, but when we are hanging out with friends, we are wasting our time and should be more productively engaged-not true. In fact, he said that failure to create and maintain quality personal relationships with other humans is as dangerous to our physical health as smoking!

So every time you hang out to schmooze with a gal pal, just pat yourself on the back and congratulate yourself for doing something good for your health! We are indeed very, very lucky. Sooooo... let's toast to our friendship with our girlfriends. Evidently it's very good for our health.

Thanks to all the girlfriends in my life who have helped me stay healthy, happy, and feeling very loved.

Life isn't about surviving the storm; but how you dance in the rain.

11 people like this.

2. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Nandhu,
    What a nice post.....that brought a smile on my face.....
    I just hung up after chatting with my school buddy for nearly an hour and I sneaked in here to see this sweet post.......
    Loved it....Thanks for sharing.......:)

3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Nandhu

Beautiful post Hi Fi:cheers Long live Girls

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Beautiful post Nandshyam dear.

Life is partly what we make it and partly made by the friends we choose

1 person likes this.
  5. freddycat

freddycat Platinum IL'ite

No wonder, I always felt much better after hanging with my 'crowd' :biggrin2: :biggrin2:. Now, I have more valid reason to hang out, more.

6. redbird1

redbird1 Bronze IL'ite

Awesome post..

No wonder why the phone bills of wives are more in a family.. lol :D

1 person likes this.
  7. insha

insha Gold IL'ite

Oh yes,so true..And the best part about girl friends is,both guys and gals love to have girlfirends..:)

8. MadhuSharmila

MadhuSharmila IL Hall of Fame

Hi Nandshyam,

Nice post. Glad to know that spending time with friends is a stress buster. Now, there is a reason to justify our chats with friends.. :)