1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Girl Independence in modern times….

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by malathyj, Mar 16, 2009.

1. malathyj

malathyj Silver IL'ite

I was mulling over some girls' (adults of marriagable age) lives. The way they want to live. I may be wrong in the way I think, but it made me write this blog.

I will talk about a couple of girls who are in the age group of 28 - 30, who ideally should be married by now and had kids (may be my thinkign is old fashioned).

She will be 28 this year and yet to get a suitable groom. Both parents are looking seriously for her, but nothing seems to click.

She is tall, well made (more on the obese side), wheatish complexion, working in a good private company.

This girl seems to be bent on not getting married and keeps rejecting the offers that come to her by either talking to the boy or refusing to her parents in the first place. Now the parents are also in a dilemma, as to how to approach her and make her accept for atleast the marriage offers leave alone "girl seeing ceremony".

Couple of causes:

One of her friends got married and was divorced, literally thrown out of the house, abused etc, reason unknown – the blame is on the guy that he did not treat her well, when infact, the fault was on either side. Everyone who knows the girl was aware of her nonchalant, arrogant behaviour.

Another one’s engagement was fixed and after six months, the girl feels that the boy is not suitable because he is very stingy and does not know how to talk or treat her, so she tells the parents that she will not get married. The invitations are printed, saris / jewellery purchased and all goes topsy-turvy. The parents are aghast, but do not go against the girl’s wishes.

The above are some of the incidents which she keeps quoting to her parens and avoids marriage.

Note all the above girls are independent, working in good firms and abroad.

Now, she is under the impression that all men are arrogant, egoistic, and they do not know how to treat ladies properly, and pondering whether to get married or not.

This is taking a toll on the parents, as age advances year by year and no offers coming in way.

I am just wondering, if too much financial independence is causing the girls to take some drastic decisions.

Probably they are becoming too choosy in selecting their grooms. In olden days it used to be the family which decides if the boy and the family he comes from is fine or not and they got the children married.

But nowadays, in the name of providing independence and giving the girl liberty to choose what they want, probably works out in the wrong way.

Looks like they do not want to take any advise from the parents or any other elders.

Again I might be wrong, but I just cannot help thinking.

Any views?

2. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear Malathy,

Now a days girls like to take decisions on their own and they like to take their time to think about things. We cannot force them to accept what we like and our views. When they see their friends being let down in relationships, they are afraid that it might happen to them.

I feel this has nothing to do with their earnings or the independance we have given them.

We should be happy and proud that they have a mind of their own and are willing to wait to meet Mr. Right.

My daughter too hold the same view and does not want me to even look for a proposal for her

Regards,
    Uma

3. SeethaHari

SeethaHari New IL'ite

Dear Malathy,

Very nice comteporary issue, which is the prime topic of discussion in many homes.
    The very concept of marriage is being seen through different windows by all sections of people.

Even today there are girls who marry without even talking to the bridegroom or just see photo on internet as per the parents wish.

But yes to an extent financial independence is influencing the thinking process.
    Girls today are highly educated and career oriented and when it comes to choosing a bridegroom all these will definitely influence.
    But we cannot generalise .
    We need to allay their apprehensions and convince so that it is willingness from both parents and the girl to go for a marriage.
    MARRIAGE between people is not for status or obligation, it is a companionship for a lifetime and beyond. We need to have the spark of LOVE .
    But whatever the decision, marriages have always been by god's grace. Every decision of our's is his command.
    We need to act as per our gut feeling but not based on balance sheets, property statements and conveniences.

Girls should have the right to decide when to marry , whom to marry and also be brave to face the new life and add LOVE and affection to make the bonding more strong and make both parents and inlaws proud.

Marriage is a second life for any girl and making it more beautiful and meaningful is from both the girl and the boy.
    Canceling an engagement is better than crying all her life after marriage and running round courts. By that time she would have lost all her youthful years. By saying no after engagement would cost only some expenses on clothes, jewelery and invitation cards. But if she is not happy , can we count the cost of her loss of happiness?

Nice thought provoking blog. Definitely it will make many to think and act.

SeethaHari

4. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Malathy,
    That was a blog showing a lot of concern for the girls of today.
    I have had one of my cousin's daughter with this attitude. At first the parents were the cause for the delay. If the boys side said that the horoscopes were matching, my cousin family would not find it so. Then they would depend too much on horoscope (Guru paarvai etc.) and 'sakunam. In this way, the girls youthful marriageable age was slowly slipping away. Then once she got a good job and became financially independent, she started forming attitudes and started being choosy and selective. At last both her parents were desperate to get her married some how, caste no bar etc. or were even ready for alove marriage! The girl refused and started blaming her parents for her spinster status. In the mean time, all her cousins and friends got married. Slowly she was becoming a psychic! Her mother ,was suddenly afflicted with cancer and she passed away unhappy for her daughter.
    Now his girl ultimately got married at the age of 37 to a man who was about 10 years older to her!
    I wonder what these modern girls have in mind????
    Love,
    Malathi

5. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

Dear Malathy
    Welcome to the blog space.
    your blog brought back a few incidents from memory.
    First one I remember is of the girl(then )got engaged to an IPS and the went abroad for further studies...then after an year comes back with a NRI friend and broke off the engagement.
    Next there is a cousin who tells my mom about the way her sisiters keep on refusing the boyz for marraige, and was surprised that I had full faith in my parents' decision about this .
    here I would like to add that my faith in my parents had been instilled by them and not anything i did. So somewhere it is the parents fault too. not totally but just some.Sad though.
    Another factor is the wait for a better choice ,this is happening with both the girls and guys abroad. This was told by somebody whose brother did not get married... he's a top level executive. The more the choice, lessens the decision .

6. malathyj

malathyj Silver IL'ite

Dear Uma, Seetha, Malathi, Muzna,

I am very happy to see your views and comments.

This is my first blog and after a lot of thinking I put forth these thoughts, wondering if it is right or wrong.

Thank you once again for your comments.

7. malathyj

malathyj Silver IL'ite

Dear Malathi,

Exactly that is what is happening now, first they started off with a favouritism to a particular sect, then now slowly they are easing all the orthodoxity (pardon my english). Now, it is like, intha ponnu yaarayaavathu love panni tholaicha kooda paravaillai.

nilamai appidi irukku. but ethukum antha ponnu asainju kudukka maatengarathu. what to do? ellam nadakarapodhu nadakum nu pesaame irukka mudiyallai.

8. winpie

winpie Silver IL'ite

Dear Malathyi,
    It matters not whether what you think is right or wrong or if other people agree with your views or not. You feel strongly about something and you write about it. Other people agree or disagree and write comments. This creates a dialogue - and that is good - isn't it?
    I am in the in-between stage - my children are grown but not yet in the market for marriage. And this is what I think -
    i want my children to lead a happy married life and this means they have to enter into the institution of marriage fully mentally prepared to do what it takes to make it work.
    Boy or girl- it takes a lot more to make marriages happy than it did before - or maybe it is just that the notion of personal happiness is more important today than it was before.
    Earlier, it was OK if the couple did not talk to each other or spend any time together as long as they went on to have children and manage the household properly. I am sure you wouldn't want just that for your own children today. It would make you unhappy if your SIL ignored your daughter all the time or vice-versa.
    Education has made people aware that personal happiness is OK to aim for. They are more aware of the unhappinesses that exist in marriages and homes and want to avoid falling into such traps.
    I am sure when you try to put yourself in those girl's places and see the pitfalls that marriages face today you would understand their reluctance a little better.
    Having seen a failed marriage and a painful divorce for someone I care about I can guarantee you - no marriage is a much better fate than what my friend went through.