1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gifts from relatives in India

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Laxmi1980, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Laxmi1980

Laxmi1980 Silver IL'ite

I usually send gifts to our near and dear relatives on religious occasions or some family functions....Have been doing it for the past so many years....But never get any thing in return.....I don't mind not getting anything, but atleast expect something for my child...I have neighbours whose children receive gifts from India on birthdays and other occasions. But My child has still not received any thing....Just shared with you that sometimes I don't feel good that our relatives expect so much from us but never thinks that we may have the littlest of expectations from them as well....I asked my mom and my inlaws whether I should be sending them gifts online or just send money, they all want money so that they can buy stuffs of their own choice, but no one once asked me whether they should send something from India for my child. I know its mean to think this way, but just felt like sharing with you all that its not such a good feeling.

2 people like this.

2. dollysonpari

dollysonpari Silver IL'ite

hi

dont feel bad abt it... generally many people In india like abroad products & gifts and think tht those are good in quality and much excited as many things are not available in india... In turn they might hv thought tht u or ur kids many not be much interested in indian gifts and many things are available in usa itself....

3. suganvijay

suganvijay Platinum IL'ite

Hi Laxmi,
    I understand how it feels like.. But few things are there which doesnt happen even if we expcet. So If you are so keen in getting gifts for your LO specially from India in the name of others. I would say.. Purely to make your LO happy.. Just buy some gifts from India next time and surprise your kid by occasionally giving it to your LO. This will make him/her happy :) atleast they will not know what the reality is and will enjoy the gifts... after all that's what we want right!!! :)

sindmani likes this.
  4. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Dont expect, dont give

2 people like this.
  5. zainabsarfraz

zainabsarfraz Platinum IL'ite

mention to your mom and MIL how excited your son was seeing his neighbours recieving gifts from India they might get the hint.

sindmani likes this.
  6. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

People have a tendency to think, people staying in abroad earn more, and well settled,
    and they "can spend".. It always feels good when you receive even a small item as
    Gift.. In-laws expected, but wondering why your parents wont send you stuff.. My MIL
    Carries loads when she goes to U.,S, and even we send lots of gifts to my SIL;s kids
    whenever we find someone going Abroad...

Why dont you tell your mom that your neighbour kid got so n so gift and her Grandson/daughter
    was asking, if his/her granny sent something, (you can project, the innocent kid asked this),
    may be this will make your parents realise that they need to send something to there Grandson/daughter..

7. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

how about stop sending gifts to people in india and send them to kids for their birthday.. I know kids feel so happy and thrilled when some box arrive for them on their special day.. I use to spend a lot of money on some people but it doesn't work all the time.. see now you started feeling the difference..most people are okay to take if someone give but not many like to give it back which we do expect at times.. don't feel bad and stop sending it to people in india rather order some gifts for the kids online which you think they might like and order them for their birthday,special occasion..