Gifts for relatives settled abroad ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by flowerlady, Jan 8, 2010.

1. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

This is really a major problem for many of us . We are thrilled to get perfume, lipsticks , toys for kids or imported clothes from our relatives settled abroad. But what gifts can be given to them ?? What we gift to each other is not right for them sometimes.
    If its clothes then they are not happy, they find them too ...., ladies may not like saris as getting blouses stitched is a major problem there.
    Any decorative item is a no no and may not be appreciated.
    The money spent should also make them happy!
    Any ideas from people settled abroad about what they really like to get as desi gifts ?:cheers

2. sillygurl

sillygurl Senior IL'ite

How about nice kancheepuram sarees/party wear without stitching the blouse, so that they can stitch it according to their wish?

Nice salwar suits/ Kurtas, Idols of Dieties , speciality food products from their home town - like ghee sweets which are not easily available in india or a nice bottle of home made pickle, well packed.

For kids - panchatanthra story books , Indian wear like kurta sets etc

3. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

As a person staying outside of India, I always appreciate gifts of handicrafts, show pieces, bed spreads or nice kurtis. Stay away from food stuffs as they are very strict in customs these days.

sindmani likes this.
  4. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

the printed silk scarfs from our govt handicraft emporiums are their favourites. you can try that.

ganges

sindmani likes this.
  5. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Thanks, yes food stuff sometimes gets into trouble !

6. sharanyadevi

sharanyadevi Gold IL'ite

We can give god kutis, Bindhis (as in gulf area we wont get it most of the shops here), set of bangles.
    I remember once i received from my aunt bangle set with 12 colours in a box, i just loved it and have still have it with me.
    This time when i went she gave me different hair clips with different shapes,with again 12 colours...

sindmani likes this.