1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

gifts for baby shower ( valaikappu or seemantham )

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by chitu, Sep 18, 2012.

1. chitu

chitu Bronze IL'ite

hi il's
    this weekend we have to attend a baby shower( seemantham ). In india usually we won't get gift for seemantham . we will give gifts only after child birth .. I don't know wat is the procedure in usa.... so can u please tell do i need to get gift for seemantham ..... if i need to get gifts please suggest me some gift items and where to get ....

Thanks in adavance

1 person likes this.

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

How well do you know her? It depends up on that. If she is a casual friend, gift card from a toy r us or Target. Or photo frames. Normally, I take flowers and buy a gift after the baby is born. If you go to Hall Mark stores, you get beautiful photog resumes around 10 dollars.
    Have a wonderful time.

laks82 likes this.
  3. SNShetty

SNShetty New IL'ite

Hi.. just came across your query when i was searching for baby shower decoration ideas.. Anyways as u ssaid in india we give gifts only after the child's birth but here they give once the know the baby's gender i guess.. Ok so i can tell u what we had given to one of our friend.. We had assorted some gifts in a basket we got which was drapped in a blue cloth as we knew it was a boy baby. And then we had all the necessary baby stuffs like drapping cloth, (i really dont know the proper terms as i am newly married but other friends did most of the stuff i just went shopping with them). feeding bottle, some cute dress for the baby, receiving cloth, burping cloth i guess :hide: :bowdown
    Ok such baby's stuff that u can find cute and useful. Plus one more friend had done a diaper cake which was really cool..If u are a creative person and have a lot of spare time u can try that.. Hope this helps:thumbsup

4. jayarakini

jayarakini Silver IL'ite

It is better to give a GIFT VOUCHER of some baby shop. so that after the childbirth, let the parents go and do the shopping.
    Here in Abu Dhabi, I myself got the voucher only and i usually give the same too

5. chitu

chitu Bronze IL'ite

thanks for replies she is my hubby's manager wife .....

6. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Chitu,

Given that she's manager's wife , i'd recommend a gift card. Its a safe option.
    If you decide buy any gift , then make sure you get the gift receipt from the shop, this will give the parents an option to exchange the gift if they have the same item.