1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

gift for sister in law on brother's wedding.

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by sanjuruby3, Dec 28, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi

I have my baby brother's wedding for which I am going to India.
    Along with one big gift ( to SIL or couple), I need to buy small small things like cosmetics etc.

Now personally I do not like to buy 1 big makeup kit from 1 brand. Since with Indian skin we do not use all the eye shadow, or face foundation colors.
    I was thinking of buy small small things from different brands and pack into 1 cosmetic bag.
    What are your suggestions in gifts and how and what can I buy from here for her?

Since I will be flying alone with kid, I do not want to overload myself as I have my laptop etc to carry.

Also about big gift - what would be right gift? I asked mom what she did not say (did want to) say anything? I mean how much/what should I do? Should I buy diamond earrings or honeymoon package?

2. aamrapali

aamrapali Gold IL'ite

For assorted makeup items:
    a) face compact powder or foundation (cover girl is good enough, natural beige or buff beige blends well for wheatish indian complexion)
    b) eye pencil or eyeliner (loreal self-advancing eye pencil)
    c) Mascara (loreal, volumnous)
    d) lipstick (loreal)
    e) blush (loreal)
    f) eye shadow (one - two or three neutral colors like silver, gold, grey, bronze)
    All of above are available for reasonable prices at Walmart, Walgreens or if you want little better variety, Sephora. Walgreens is good enough, actually.
    Maybe also throw in a small perfume if within your budget

Bigger gift for brother and SIL:
    Not sure what your budget is but I am not too impressed with gold and diamonds these days - such a pain just safeguarding them and can hardly wear and enjoy them.

Giving them something memorable is better. Honeymoon package sounds better but may be too expensive. You can gift them a really nice dinner in an exotic very upscale hotel or restaurant that they would not go on their own. I am referring to fine dining like places that are pretty expensive and are nice for special occassions like marriages or anniversaries. Fine dining is an experience in itself so it is beyond the food. They will remember for long time.

3. NirmalaGoofy

NirmalaGoofy Gold IL'ite

I will go with any gold or diamond jewelry earring,ring, bracelent anything within your budget. It will last long time and people whether they wear it every day or not will cherish the feeling of getting a nice gift. Both the recipient and giver will both feel special.

sindmani, satchitananda and Rihana like this.
  4. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

I had a similar question a few months back and got some good suggestions. Link pasted below.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/relationship-with-in-laws/277301-gift-to-soon-to-sil.html

I have decided to go with a 1000$ cash in both their names during the wedding and light gold/ diamond jewellery for my SIL, something she can wear to work or casual occasions. Max budget would be 250-350$ for the jewellery and the total budget including cash is 1350$

sindmani and satchitananda like this.
  5. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Mac lipstick is really nice, u may wish to add that too , may be 2 colors,

Big gift, may be diamond rings for couple, or expensive watches for couple

6. bhagya85

bhagya85 Silver IL'ite

My suggestion for big gift would be simple couple platinum rings,which they can wear regularly or preserve for life time.If the budget is more, honeymoon package will also be a good choice.There are plenty of beautiful honeymoon locations in India .

7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Sanju, does your sil use make-up? Check that out first.

8. sanjuruby3

Hi Girls

I think my SIL does wear light makeup.

But for everyday life, I think just like most ladies, it would be lipstick/kajal. I do not see much women doing eyeshadows/foundation in India ( Be it travel or weather or work atmosphere or just habit, but I see that eyeshadow/foundation more in US :))

Anyways, I am going to do same. Mix different brands and colors of lipsticks and shades.

For foundation/eye shadow, some basic colors would be good.
    I think no need to give 100's of shades of eye shadows( that too branded ? right?).

At my wedding, I had bought all colors eyeshadows (small pack) & many colors foundation of some non brand and it was never ever used. I never wore those funky colors.

For bigger gift, I am thinking inclined towards honeymoon trip but that is expensive > 1000$ I think. If not, I will buy something gold but from India.

I am thinking not to carry my jewellery to wear in wedding as I do not want to carry tension. I will be going alone with toddler as I do not myself lot of jewellary. Moreover with wedding dresses, I might wear artificial. My mom does not like the idea. But I have to travel a lot even in india and lot of guests will be at home. What do you suggest?

9. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

U can carry one set of ur jewelry to India, and give it to ur mom to keep it safe, on wedding day u can wear it. Other days u can be simple with long black beads chain and jhumkas type earrings.

10. sanjuruby3

Do you know any reliable online travel agents? For honeymoon travel package. I see makemytrip but do not know anyone used it.