1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

GI infection and secondary lactose intolerance

Discussion in 'Infants' started by loonypooh, May 29, 2010.

1. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

so Z has fallen sick for the first time in 8 months...and its gastrointestinal infection, leading to secondary lactose intolerance.

she has been prescribed meds,but pedi also asked me to stop breastfeeding her temporarily, and put her on Nusobee(soy formula)
    give only rice cereal and apple for food.

can someone throw some light on secondary lactose intolerance?the thought of completely stop breastfeeding her for a short span,is taxing me mentally.... and my baby is so used to being breastfed,esp at nights.

i am also worried about how this will pathetically affect my milk supply,

with her diarrhoea and reflux now,and being alongside, i wonder how often i can pump .

help,anyone?

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

poo, not vanathi, but I am talking from my experience here. When K was around 6 weeks old he had a diarrhoea which did not show up on stool test, but I knew it was diarrhoea and not just loose stools because of the smell. It did not go away for another 6 weeks (I was combination feeding him much against my instinct and I do think formula was responsible for that diarrhoea). Anyway, long and short, I too was advised to stop BFing and put him on soy formula. I chose not to. Here is why:
    1. breast milk has certain probiotic properties that will help the keep the healthy bacteria in the gut.
    2. I will be introducing a new allergen - soy.
    3. secondary lactose intolerance is a temperorary phenomenon.
    When I went back to our regular paed, she was happy I did not wean. Instead suggested using probiotics immediately after a GI infection. We did/do Nutrolin B and Stibs. If you have started on curd, you can continue that too. Given that Z is on solids and the lactose load on her stomach is lower than when she would have been bfed, I would suggest you continue to bf. That will also help her calm down a little when she is feeling unwell.
    Hugs to that poor baby.

3. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

tikka,thanks,i was into tears...u must know how it feels :)

we started her on curd 4 days back.....so maybe i can continue?

pedi hasnt prescribed any probiotics as of now...wonder y?

thanks for supporting my idea to continue her bfeeding ,atleast partially.she takes formula 2ce a day,so that will be replaced with soy formula

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Pooh:
    Well this is as pertains to adults but you might find it comforting: I had dairy intolerance (for years) until I had an undiagnosted amoebic infection treated. After treatment the dairy intolerance was gone immediately.

5. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Definitely contine with BF since your milk will adapt itself to whatever zoey's body needs to get better. That's the wonder of mom's milk!

If you want, you can elimiate dairy products from your diet. It takes about 2 weeks for the dairy to completely work itself out of your system but it may help. Eliminate ghee, butter, cheese, milk, paneer etc from your diet - I was on a dairy free diet for about 3 months when aadit was younger, and it really helped with his lactose intolerance (he grew out of it at 5 months).

6. Padminiramesh

Padminiramesh Senior IL'ite

Poonam,

Hugs to Z and you...dont worry. This is the exact same position Hayagreev was thr 2 weeks back. Do not stop breast feeding. Even i was asked to do so. You can see my thread.
    I spoke to tikka on the same day and went for a second opinion to few other doctors and they strongly supported me on BF.
    This is what i followed for H
    1. BF more often
    2. Rice kanji
    3. Roasted gram + Rice kanji (There is a brand called Geeth, which i introduced when he was on diarrhea and it worked good). With this combination everything came to normal in 2 days time.

Apart from this he prescribed Bifilac 2 times a day, Z&D once a day and another ORS.
    NO Fruits, veggies, sugar.

Dont worry, Zoey will be alright soon.
    Healthy vibes to lil Z.

7. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Pooh, jumped in to give you a tight hug and send loads and loads of health vibes to lil Z... c

8. babychinnu

babychinnu Senior IL'ite

Hi Poonam,

Very sorry to know this. Lots of love to Z. Dont worry, everything will be fine soon. But, what is the cause for this? Have you asked Paed?

Lots of hugs to you and cute little Z.

Deepchiran.

9. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Hugs to you. Zoey will be well soon. Hang in there. Lots of healing vibes...:thumbsup

10. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Hey Pooh, hows Z doing now? poor baby.. lots and lots of good health vibes and loads of bear hugs to her.. hang in there.. she will be alright in a day or two.

thank god you didnt blindly follow the doctor on stopping bf.. smile now! :)))

thanks to all mommies who drop in to help needy mommies on time.

Last edited: May 31, 2010