1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ghosts At Night

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear cheeniya sir ,
    so happy to see your post here. so you are back to your normal vigor and witty.Sir you have come with a topic that is more running in movies and serials.Films and serials based on this become a runaway hit that too after"MuniAfterwatching all the horror short films I thought of visiting ILafter alooooooooooooooooong time I came across yours What a coincidence!!!!
    All cultures have had a belief in ghosts and a fear of ghosts. People have always told stories, and everybody likes being frightened, especially when you feel safe. Personally, I find them scarier than vampires or zombies.I do believe in ghosts, or at least in some kind of persistent spiritual echoes of the past in certain places. But I take this as aplatform to share something. Sorry to steal your time Sir but I feel you can give me the explanation.You must have watched the movie "The conjuring'
    Based on the real life haunting of the Perron family, actress Vera Farmiga (who played Lorraine Warren) reported feeling very uneasy about the film whenever she returned home from set and refused to bring the script with her. She claims that one night she opened her laptop and noticed three slashes across the screen, which she could not identify the source of.

At one point during filming, the real Perron family visited the set, and members of the crew noted that a strange gust of wind seemed to follow along with them. After returning home, Carolyn Perron felt a presence in her home and was seemingly pushed to the ground, as if something from the set had come home with her.Why and how did this happen ?
    Ultimately though, I think ghost stories are popular for a number of reasons. Firstly, they help us explore our own anxieties about our mortality and the afterlife (or lack thereof). It can be somewhat therapeutic for many people to talk about the existence of ghosts as some sort of proof of the enduring nature of human consciousness after death. But in reality, in our society, I imagine most of it has to do with fun. We enjoy being scared in a safe, and ultimately non-threatening way. This is why we watch horror movies. i think I have given a proper feed back for a masterpiece!!
    with love
    pad
    P.S where is my favourite "comicsans"

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear pad
    I am as happy seeing you here as my grandma used to be in seeing ghosts. Ghosts made her very popular and her ghost experiences attracted people to her like magnet! My dad used to say that my maternal grandma had probably some secret grievance against him that she always saw him as a ghost.
    I don't believe in ghosts but nothing stops me from being scared by ghost stories! Who can forget this scene from Kaadalikka Naram Illai:

I watch all the ghost serials with my wife which is the only time she is tongue-tied! When the scenes become very scary, I laugh loudly ridiculing them but more to overcome my scare! These days there is more emphasis on jocular scenes even in Ghost stories!
    Sri

3. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear cheeniya sir,
    Indirectly you have compared with the ghost !!Here I just want to mention one thing
    One day my DH's friend asked him if he has belief in ghosts and he is afraid of it. Without second thought my DH replied "I do believe in ghosts and I am not afraid of it because I have been living with it for the past 40years
    with love
    pad

4. Cheeniya

Dear pad
    For forty years? You are ten years junior to us!
    Sri

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Ghost = Gentle, harmonious, organized, service-minded and trust worthy person. Mr P is lucky for 45 years and Mr.C is luck for 55 years. Even when I am alone here with my wife back in India, I play it safe. :)

Viswa

6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I seem to have missed this blog. What is this, Cheeniya? An Amityville horror from your production house (quivering)

I did something similar few years ago with The Turn of the Screw by Henry James. Then I realised that ghosts and me don't fraternize as they put me to sleep with the potency of ashwagandha herb. I left the novella midway and never finished it.

Aye, got it! Such grudging justification for a behooving title.

(crawling out of the blanket)

Cheeniya, why such a horror narrative. Now, I am scared of such phenomenon. Ghosts are devalued in literature. They repulse as blood vomiting monsters with gouged eyes and underslung jaws or shadowed in comical relief. I don't know why writers and film makers don't conjure up strong and coquettish ghosts like Elvira from Blithe Spirit. Ah! Another of Rex Harrison's suave performance. But you know who takes the mickey of ghost invocations? Our Lemuel Gulliver ...in his adventures in Glubbdubdrib. He summons the ancient ghosts of Julius Caesar, Brutus, Cato, the cooks of Heliogabalus et al to learn history as it occured and not as it had been written.

Ghosts in human form in their charming double-breasted jackets and brogues are fine. Ghosts in flared trousers and hippy-styled uncut hair are fine. Ghosts in knickers or leg-warmers are fine. Ghosts as rotting human carcass with flaps and lineaments of lacerated skin and pustules, crawling out of a graveyard, frighten me. Ghosts come in all sizes and shapes but I want to stay away from the latter ghosts.

vaidehi71 likes this.
  7. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    So you are well informed about ghosts too? My grandma was not only well informed but could put these ghosts in their places. If any one called at my house after 9 p.m. she would demand to see their legs to ensure if they rested on the floor. If not, she would slam the door on their face. I too hate blood spitting ones. I have seen numerous ghost movies and I liked the Ghostbuters bester, I mean best. Made at a cost of $30 million, it grossed ten times that amount. By the grace of ghost, the producer minted money!
    Suave ghosts are my pick too but they are fast becoming extinct. I saw one movie in which the ghosts were spilling blood non stop that they had to clean the floor of the theater after every show! Friendly ghosts can be rollicking fun! After my grandma's demise, the mournful ghosts have stopped visiting my house!
    Sri

vaidehi71 likes this.
  8. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear CS

You were afraid of the ghosts and had to leave the house within a month??:tonguewink:
    I can understand it is so terrible. I have seen ghosts entering into my sister's body the way she has suffered it was just terrible. Now she is fine. I was a person who never believe in all this but looking at my sister started believing into them. But they say ghosts usually enter into week minded people, So I think they don't come around me:grimacing:

9. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya,

You warned me not to write long comments for the sake of your eyes. So let me be brief. I enjoyed your family's encounter with ghosts and recalled that I had played around with a ouija board when I was around thirty years old. I had an interesting encounter with a ghost who claimed he was my maternal uncle. My uncle had died several years ago in a landslide in Malaysia. The ghost predicted that one of my maternal cousins will be doing exceedingly well in her Delhi school board exams and that another maternal cousin will be ending up with a Third Class in his Delhi University BA (Hons) exam. Both predictions came true!

oj

10. Cheeniya

@Arunarc

My dear Aruna
    The women folk of my house had such strong interaction with the ghost, I had no choice but to change the house. My young wife started looking forward to the ghost's visit more than my return from the office! I had to act fast before she completely lost interest in me! We shifted the house promptly and my marriage was saved!
    Sri

Arunarc and ojaantrik like this.