1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ghosts At Night

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 9, 2017.

1. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

Cheeniya sir, i hope you don't mind me sharing my Dad's one and only ghost story.

In 1990, my Dad had a meeting in a different city but did not want to stay the night so he drove back home. He said the road was empty and pitch black and he felt uncomfortable but it was already too late to turn back. All of a sudden, the steering wheel maneuvered on its own and his car went rolling down hill. He didn't know how long he was unconscious but he woke up and noticed his portable emergency lamp in the backseat was on. He reached for it and climbed up to the road.

He waited patiently for a vehicle to pass by but everytime, all of them would speed up at the sight of him. Finally, he noticed his company truck and he felt really happy, but, alas, the truck passed him too. Within 30 minutes though, the truck came back. The driver said he noticed the company logo on my Dad's jacket but was scared, and that he came back because he said he remembered my Dad greeting him a few years ago. The truck driver brought him to the hospital and my Dad came to know that the road was known to be haunted among the locals.

The next day, my mom and my grandparents went to see the site of the accident and were shock to see the condition of my Dad's car. The car was crushed and everyone found it hard to believe that my Dad only had a scratch on his arm.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Amica likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear momsky
    Once a friend of mine told me that he never believed in ghosts during the day but he not only believed in them at night but feared them too. Why ghosts are associated with nights I don't know but nights themselves have become less scary than in my childhood. Madras had thousands of sparrows during my childhood but they are not to seen anymore. The pollution and noise have driven them away to the villages. In a way, ghosts also have left Madras like the sparrows. Nor do we find aunts like who I had to tell us ghost stories. Today aunts watch the TV serials with their nephews and nieces!
    Sri

3. Cheeniya

My dear Viswa
    You seem to have more faith in American ghosts than Indian! I was once telling a friend that ghosts were a figment of our own imagination and I didn't believe in them. A year later, he took me to the night show of The Exorcist. Throughout the movie I kept my knuckles stuffed into my mouth to prevent myself from screaming! When the movie was over, I was completely wet with my sweat as if I had a bath in Kutrallam with my fool dress. When my friend looked at me with surprise, I told him that I hated theatres that switched off the AC midway through the night show. He then looked at his own dress which was bone dry and shrugged! I may not believe in ghosts but I can't prevent my body from responding as if it believed in ghosts!

Coming back to my maternal grandma, she saw my dad entering the toilet one night and waited for him to come out . She came inside to tell my mom that she saw her husband going into the bathroom an hour back and never came out. When she returned to the room, she saw my dad sleeping there! Next morning, my dad told me privately that when he came out of the bathroom, she saw my grandma sleeping in a bench there and not wanting to disturb her, he came inside. He did make the story public to avoid hurting my grandma's faith in ghosts!
    Sri

4. Cheeniya

Dear jayasala
    That was indeed hilarious! It took me to the stories of Nadodi of Ananda Vikatan! Nobody has ever mistaken me for a ghost probably because I look far too well-fed to be one! I am often scolded by my wife for shouting like a demon! (yen ippidi pei madiri katharel?) Even those who don't believe in ghosts refer to them on many occasions like Kaadhal Pisasu (Demon of love), eating like a ghost etc Have you heard this song?

Sri

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  5. Cheeniya

Dear momsky
    We could dismiss this pure fiction but for the damage suffered by the car and the bruises that your dad suffered. It is very difficult to explain this incident through some high sounding psychological jargon.
    A few years back I wrote a story in this column:
    An encounter with a young woman!
    Hope you find it interesting!
    Sri

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

This is the one I was referring to sir! Crazy good sir. Just did not have the time to look up the link and post. Thanks for sharing.

7. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

Yes sir my Dad's story does not sound real at all, but I was 8 years old at the time and remembered being with him in the hospital while his colleagues came in and go. He always narrate it in a funny way esp. the part where the other cars sped up at the sight of him... but it was always the saddest part for me. Another thing I remember was him saying that the whole life flashing thing like you see in the movie when you're near your death was actually real.

8. Visasri

Visasri Platinum IL'ite

hahahaa
    @Cheeniya sir, I am very much urged to share my ghost story after reading this. Your narrative style is great, hope you got it from your grandma.

9. Cheeniya

Dear momsky
    People who have gone through strange and eerie experiences are at times reluctant to share them for fear of being ridiculed. In Tamil there is a saying that people who have seen God will not talk about it and those who keep talking about God may not have seen Him. To some extent, this applies to people who may have gone through eerie experiences. They may not talk about it and if they do, they may be so dramatic that people will not believe it. It does not mean that all eerie experiences are figment of imagination. Just because I don't believe in ghosts, it doesn't mean they may not exist at all. I may probably change my mind, if I meet one in my life!
    Sri

momsky likes this.
  10. Cheeniya

Dear Visasri
    Thank you for your word of appreciation. When you say that you are urged to share your 'ghost story', do you mean that you have one to share? I am all ears, my girl girl!
    Sri
    I just saw the title of your ghost story, 'Round the clock Ghost' Will read it!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017