1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ghosts At Night

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Doree
    Half the things that make us laugh in life are crazy. But whenever I laughed hearing a ghost story, my mum would say that I was trying to cover up my fear! I am not scared of ghosts because I have not seen one yet and the prospects of meeting one appear remote. In my childhood, the city was so dark in the night that we could even sight the milky-way clearly in the sky. Ghosts felt safer in that darkness to socialize with the humans!
    Sri

Doree likes this.
  2. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr Cheeniya,
    I have not seen any ghost, but I have seen ghostwriting through a medium. I have heard that planchettes were used to talk with ghosts.

A person known to me used to write alphabets and numbers on the floor with space to move around and used the cap of Amruthanjan bottle and it moved very smoothly. Sometimes the predictions were right.

PS

3. Cheeniya

My dear Syamala
    On the Tamil channel of Sun TV, five ghost-based serials are being telecast now. One of them is even directed by a movie chap and this serial is produced by Sun TV itself. In all the five series the ghosts are girls treated badly by the family of the husbands that drove them to death. All the ghost girls are on revenge mood and as I watch them in action, I sweat like a pig (By the do pigs sweat?). I have not come across male ghosts in any serial probably because male ghosts are not glamorous! Talking of female ghosts, I liked Sadhna best in the movie Who kaun thi?

But my dislike is only for ghosts and not other versions of them. For example I love guys like Gadothgajan who always performed delightful miracles. In the movie Maya Bazar, Gadothgajan's assistant keeps us spell bound with his Mantra that sounds like 'Am aha, Im ihi, Um uho' he creates miracles in a second! I went crazy when a shopping mall comes into being in a split second!
    mall
    Sri

shyamala1234 likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

Dear beautifullife,
    With that kind of fear for ghosts and darkness, you come across as a nice girl full of life and believing in everything that can be believed! You seem to be more afraid of darkness than ghosts! Weird noises scare me too because my grandma always told us that weird noises were the mother tongue of ghosts and they conversed with each other in that dialect only. My grandma claimed that she could understand the meanings of several sounds they made!
    Ghosts have thrived for millions of years through the people who feared them!
    Sri

5. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Cheeniya sir,
    thoroughly enjoyed the snippet. There was a short period - around my high school/early college years in Calcutta, when i would go all out in search of Ghost stories, Dracula books etc to read. Though i used to be scared to death and afraid to be alone in a room even with the house full of people , still there was this fascination for ghost stories! Ofcourse over the years, disbelief in all this grew strong and consequently disinterest in reading about them too! Brought back sweet memories:)

6. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

dear sir,

Couldn't agree more :thumbup: ..... I think the you found the root cause of the problem and its darkness and weird noises!
    Seeing how its still daytime here with loads of sunlight streaming in through the windows in my office, and reading your comment, makes me feel very silly :D! Makes me want to say, 'I will get over this tonight and prove myself :sunglasses:!'

until the clock the strikes 12, I am that strong brave one! :)

7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Chenniya sir, Who would not like Ghosts like Sadhana or Waheeda Rehman in Bees saal baad or Kohra! They were heart throbs of many young men in those days. I have not seen any of these films but heard songs. Kahin deep jale kahin dil is a famous song. I think Bees saal baad and Kohra are Indianized versions of Rebecca and Hound of Baskervilles. It is true that in films only female ghosts are there and no male ghosts. Why? A very valid doubt. They can show glamour in likes of Sadhana and Waheeda but not heroes!True.
    Ghatothgaja in Maya Bazar is a different class altogether. I do not find any other characacter to compare with also! S.V Ranga Rao lived in that role. I read somewhere that Savithri practiced walking like Ghatothgaja by walking by the side of Ranga Rao.
    Syamala

Mistt likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

A lovely response, knbg! You made me recollect my own childhood but I did not have much of an opportunity to live in my native village except for brief spells. But the ten-tenement house in Triplicane was virtually a village. Snoring old people were loved by my generation because their snoring noise made the darkness of night less eerie. Matching their snoring would be the wall-roosters (suvar-kozhi) making a continuous noise. We found sleeping difficult without these accompaniments! On rainy nights, hundreds of frogs would raise a continuous chorus!
    Whether we were afraid of ghosts or not, the stories about them from our aunts did keep us spell bound. The modern life has lost all the charm and romance of believing in these stories. Ruthless dissection of all we hear in the name of rationalization has robbed our lives of all charm!
    Sri

9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri sir
    That was so humorous, yet again!
    I was imagining all the happenings the way you had narrated and could not help smiling through the entire write up.
    At the end I keep thinking, how come my life is so insipid; nothing ever this exiting happens to me. Meeting ghosts would have been something to tell my grandchildren about.

I clearly remember this scene from Kadalikka Neramillai and T.S Balaiah, blurting in fear, "On ponnulla kannaa?"

I have read many book involving ghosts but one book that held me captive kept me fear throughout was "Rebecca" by Daphne Du Marier.

10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya sir,

After seeing the sidebar, all I can say is this snippet did sneak in on me. Not that I was not expecting you to write but just that on the days I don't log on is when you write. May be I should be absent longer so that we can more from you :)

I have to confess though, my favorite still is your previous ghost story. I am chicken at at heart, don't watch ghost movies (except for ghost busters), ghost songs, nope not even the ones involving beautiful lady ghosts, don't read such books - I like normal, ordinary life. You know there is so much to enjoy, the nature, the people - rarely does mind drift but right now, I am fascinated by "Super girl" and watching back to back episodes with DD which leaves me wondering if it is the super powers, the imagination of the worlds beyond or the goodness of human beings (that is portrayed) that keeps me glued to so much. This comes second to of course, "Sabrina the teenage witch" So mind does drift!

Your narrative reminded me of my dad (again!) and you know I could remember a couple of houses that we lived in similar to the ones you mentioned when he got transferred to some Godforsaken places - I am not implying the place you describe was one such (I have no clue about TN) and we always got transferred to another place with in three months. I see, I said God forsaken places, perhaps that is why ghosts lived there and no one occupied the houses for longer than 3 months and perhaps my parents not wanting to explain to us children never mentioned :) No sir, the real reason was my mom herself not highly educated always fretted and fussed about what she provided us and made sure we grew up in where there were good schools. In fact, once she realized that it was going to be a uphill battle with four of us, she decided to stay put in one place and let dad travel. That created so many many wonderful memories with dad - his arrival, the stuff he got for us, the eagerness with which he would come with a basket of fruit on his head (literally) because grapes were so cheap where he was working or some such thing etc!

You talk of ghosts and look where I went. Enjoyed reading it sir, thank you!