1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ghee and its effects on Cold on Babies/ Toddlers?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Chitravivek, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

I might sound crazy but one of my friend said adding more than a teaspoon of ghee in a day on kids food can cause cold. Is this true? is it scientifically proved? I have never heard this. My DD has cold on and off and I always thought it was all thanks to school she is going.. But after my friend told this I am like (am I the cause : :hide:). I definitely add more than one spoon of ghee in her food. She likes it and she is not a chunky baby and all. Now this worries me that I might have been the reason.

Did anyone hear this or know about it? She said her doc in India too said the same.. I have no idea.. any thoughts?

2. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

I am not agree with these...I was having a lot of ghee in my child hood..with everything (home made) but never had cold. I am also giving more than 1 spoon ghee to my DD but don't think this is the reason of her cold (most of time she suffer from cold here...i guess it was because of frequent weather change and her love toward icecream and juice)

1 person likes this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When my son first went to daycare, he fell sick every 2 weeks for a whole year. He pretty much had a runny nose for the entire year. His doctor said it was just his immune system adapting to a new environment and new germs. Colds and flu are caused by viruses and bacteria, so no, there is no scientific basis for this claim. I am surprised a doctor with a medical degree would suggest something like this.

I don't think ghee will harm your DD at all. Too much fat might give your little one the occasional upset tummy, but I don't think it will cause any other problem. I used to stir a spoonful of ghee into all my son's meals until recently, and even now I include ghee in his dinner everyday. Never had a problem so far.

1 person likes this.
  4. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Gauri. I know the cold and flu are just making her stronger and I never worried about all these until last week when this person told about ghee.. I was really shocked.. Never heard it before so wanted to confirm before I make any decision on what she said..

5. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Just to back up Gauri's predictably eminently sensible advice, here's some (admittedly anecdotal and completely unscientific) evidence of my own. Like Gauri's son, my daughter suffered from colds continuously the year she started preschool. Previously, she had been mostly free from illness of this kind. And she has not ever had a taste of ghee in her life.

So, starting school/daycare/any institution where our little human Petri dishes can interact seems to make them sick to an alarming degree, regardless of previous health history and diet.

1 person likes this.
  6. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Chitra

I give my daughter ghee-laden jeera rice everyday for lunch (because that is the only thing she will eat!!) and of course, dal/rasam/spinach rice in the evening, again with a generous dollop of ghee. She only gets as much cold as any other child in her daycare. So I don't think ghee has anything to do with cold.

1 person likes this.
  7. beautifulpictur

beautifulpictur New IL'ite

Hi Chitra,

I've heard about this from my family elders...not that ghee will cause cold, but that when the child has cold already, taking more ghee will aggravate the symptoms (by aiding mucus production). Not sure if its a fact. Someone from Ayurveda background can clarify this.

-Lekha

1 person likes this.
  8. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

I know this to be the case with milk, but do no know that it extends to all other forms of dairy. I have seen that giving my daughter milk when she has cold just ends up with her throwing it all up.

1 person likes this.
  9. shrutimanjunath

shrutimanjunath Platinum IL'ite

hey chitra,

i was given chyavanprash at 5 years of age. does that help your baby?

i had runny nose and cough always, i was given this.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  10. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Chitra, my LO has cold on and off. Initially i was thinking its the weather, then the daycare, then decided its because of hubby as he also gets cold often. But never ever heard this ghee theory.

1 person likes this.