Getting free help/advice for your new business in USA

Discussion in 'Entrepreneurship' started by AnjaliD, Aug 22, 2007.

1. AnjaliD

AnjaliD Senior IL'ite

Hello,
    First of all, I am so so glad that IL took notice of my email and started this forum. businesswomen like me have been wanting this kind of forum for a long time now.

If you have a business or thinking of starting one, you can get good, free advice on lot of business related issues from SCORE organization. They have email counseling and also one-to-one counseling. For a Mompreneur like me, email counselings work out the best. Don't have to worry abt "what should I do with my kids, etc" :) Almost all the counselors are retired, well experienced entrepreneurs.
    Check out their website SCORE "Counselors to America's Small Business"

Cheers,
    Anjali

2. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Hi Anjali - glad to see a forum for women entrepreneurs. How about you tell a little bit about yourself and the business that you are involved in and how you got to where you are today. That may kick start a discussion here from other ILites.

Shobana

3. AnjaliD

AnjaliD Senior IL'ite

Good idea. Here is little bit of my info.

I used to work as a Oracle programmer but after the birth of my second child, I decided to quit my job and stay home to be with my kids and enjoy their childhood. But, like lot of women, I still wanted to do something more for myself. So started playing with some ideas and finally started my business about 2 yrs back. All my products are pure and premium quality spice extracts (Supreme Spice - Home of premium quality spice extracts). It was not easy in the beginning with 2 small kids. Also, I had no business background or experience. But had very strong passion, determination and faith in my products. I got some help from SCORE counselors on how to start, where to start and what all permits, licenses to get, etc. Unfortunately I found very little or no help from Indian business community
    ( very male dominated) . It was then that I started thinking and searching for a Indian women entrepreneurs network. But never found one. There are lot of energetic, enthusiastic & talented women out there who give up the idea of business because of lack of support. A good network of Indian businesswomen is very much needed.

I am now 2 yrs into my business and doing OK. Not great, not bad but OK. I realize that my business is still in its baby stages and I have a long way to go. I have a lot to learn and a lot more to achieve. But I am getting there slowly.

Cheers,
    Anjali

4. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

First of all Anjali - congrats and hats off to you!! Not many women will venture into the business world the way you have. It takes a lot of courage and determination and patience. I am not in business for myself - so respect all you women out there doing this. I am a CPA who used to work for a public accounting firm - I have helped clients who start news businesses get their licenses, registration, etc. This area is so complicated - each state operates very different from another - so it is very easy to become non-compliant! There are a lot of website out there but it would be nice to exchange ideas!!

I can give some input to women who may be starting on their own or atleast point them in the direction they have to go.

Hope to see more women participate!

Shobana

5. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Hi Anjali

I'm quite impressed by the way you started your business and its good that you are handling it well. I saw your website, do you manufacture the products on your own or you are importing them from India ?

~Abha

6. AnjaliD

AnjaliD Senior IL'ite

I saw your website, do you manufacture the products on your own or you are importing them from India ?

Hi Abha,
    I have my own manufacturer and I import them here from India., clear FDA and customs.

7. arch174

arch174 Senior IL'ite

HI Anjali,
    gud work!!!
    I am a naturopath & learnt aromatherapy...I make blends for insomnia,stress,cellulite.....wrinkles (with almond & jojoba oil).. among others
    I use aloe vera gel for most of my products as they r very practical to use.
    I use best EOs & base oils..& all blends have already given gud results.on my patients.
    AS u r already in same field u think there is scope for me to expand ..
    I do not have aretail otutlet ..pl write 2 me

8. AnjaliD

AnjaliD Senior IL'ite

AS u r already in same field u think there is scope for me to expand ..
    I do not have aretail otutlet ..pl write 2 me

Hi,
    I just sent you a private message.
    Anjali

9. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Extremely excited to see some like minded ILites here.

Currently, I have been applying for MS, in my area ( Wireless Communications) and I am not sure about my destination yet. When I moved in here, I found America is truly a "Land Of Opportunities". India is opening up. 6 years , things will be much more organized and there will be lots of opportunities there too. But as u said, a reliable support is something you cannot get so easily as of now.

Opening a business on my own had been lingering in my head for 2 years. But just like Anjali, I was a sofware developer at Infosys, and my family( huge) has no one in business. It s rather considered as unsafe and risky venture. My people strongly feel one has to have the gift of the gab to go ahead. But, my gut feeling tells, I am born for this, running a business. Coincidentaly my birthcharts indicate a strong propensity for a business. ( I believe in them to some extent)

I am going to contact the organization you just mentioned. I ll be lucky to be free for next 7 months ( H4) . So please tell me where do I start from. I would like to research on this matter starting from finding

1. What I can do here in US ? How do I find this ? I am talking about opportunities. An internet business or Indian based business seem good as of now.
    2. What are the skills /competence required ? Would "Occupational handbook by dept of labor" be of some help ?

3. Does it match my taste ? I love to read, cook and majorly work on compiling and sharing information. Information is wealth ? Information of any kind ( Ex - So does consultant business suit)

4. What are the challenges ? ( Risk analysis types, will the business succeed if done in the right way, Venues to Advertise )

5. How do I go about it ? ( Funds ?, My greatest problem, coz I dont know if I ll succeed and I cannot afford to lose money atleast at this phase of life, does that deny me my dreams ? )
    6. What s holding me and how do i rectify it ?

7. Getting fooled ( for ex. I dont want to be carried away by things like quixstar( no offence meant for ones who are there, but I dont want to lose in the end)

8. I feel I need to be motivated by my near and dears, but most probably they ll not take my idea seriously, till it starts bearing fruits. I feel time is running out.I want to finish the research work before I hit school. Please direct. :icon_frown:

9. The market and target customers. I mean it cud be the uppercrust or the majority middle class which might go for my service.

Greatest factors which motivate me are "I am in the land of Opportunities"."The resources and information is abundant here" and " it s doable"

Mahathma Gandhi had once said,

"Hesitating to act because you might fail or others don't share the vision yet only hinder the progress in life "

Another thought

"The universe is full of magical things waiting for our wits to turn into gold" - Eden Philpotts

I have a deep respect for every woman, who followed her dreams dogmatically and with perseverance. If the resolve is strong, no one can stop you.
    Hats off to Anjali, Shobana and Induslady !!:2thumbsup:

Please throw some light on above points. It will be useful for others who visit this page. Correct me in my way of thinking, if it's not right.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  10. AnjaliD

AnjaliD Senior IL'ite

Hello,

[FONT=&quot]Give us more info and I am sure you will find many helping women here. Believe me, I totally understand how you feel. Starting something new is always very intimidating. This is the time when you need a lot of support and advice of your well wishers.

[/FONT]
    Lot of your questions, I think, could be answered if we know what your plans are. Like -do you have any particular kind of business that you are interested in ??
    Let us know and we can try and help you here.

1. What I can do here in US ? How do I find this ?

It all depends on your interests. Lot of times it helps starting some new venture in your own field or something that you are passionate abt. What are you passionate abt?

2. What are the skills /competence required ? Would "Occupational handbook by dept of labor" be of some help ?

[FONT=&quot]I doubt. Internet will be your best bet. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    <!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
    [/FONT]
    4. What are the challenges ? ( Risk analysis types, will the business succeed if done in the right way, Venues to Advertise )

A tough one to answer. There are some businesses that had revenues in millions but still failed after some time. There will be a lot challenges, I assure you J But this is where your passion or drive for the business will be tested.

6. What s holding me and how do i rectify it ?

No one else but you.

7. Getting fooled ( for ex. I dont want to be carried away by things like quixstar( no offence meant for ones who are there, but I dont want to lose in the end)
    <!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
    <!--[endif]-->

Even if you get fooled, you learn from it and try not to repeat those mistakes. Remember - To err is human.

[FONT=&quot]9. The market and target customers. I mean it cud be the uppercrust or the majority middle class which might go for my service

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Again, we need more info from you on this. It all depends on what kind of business you are thinking of.
    Cheers,
    Anjali

[/FONT]