getting back in shape and avoiding abdominal muscle problem after c-sec

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by RedRuby, Nov 22, 2014.

1. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Hallo Ladies,

I had a c-sec on 08. August and was blessed with a beautiful and healthy little baby girl. Afterwards i found out that i need to wait a bit longer to start gymnastics or other sport to get back into shape then after a normal delivery (plus wasnt easy c-sec, but now it seems fine). As its been 3 months my waiting period is over and I do everything normally, from walks to household and handling my baby and that without much problem. I just have after certain bad experiences in pregnancy and during birth some lack of trust in doctors and fear a bit too much.

So im insecure how to start to work on my belly as the scar pains a bit and the muscles there feel sort of sore and weird.
    I too thought about how to avoid diastastis rectic as i was warned about it. I was not diagnosed with it just told that if i exercise wrongly (or to short after birth) it can happen that the muscles grow together wrongly and the belly will stick out pyramid like.

Have any of you ladies here a clue how to avoid
    diastastis rectic and with which exercises i can start? Is there anything im suppose to avoid or consider to watch? Will I recognise if the muscles grow wrongly together (but arnt they already grown back together??)

I thought of starting with yoga. I used to love the Lara Dutta and Tara Stiles videos on youtube..any idea if i can just pick that up again?

2. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Count me in dear...
    I have no solutions for now, but suffering with abdominal muscles. But the scar pain is not there after 3months from delivery. Hope you will handle your troubles soon...

1 person likes this.
  3. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Hi Redruby,

I had a normal delivery but my sister had c-section. I just wanted to share with you what she told me.

My sister started exercising only after 6 months and the one thing that helped her very much with reducing tummy and facial (esp neckline) fat is doing surya namaskar every single day. She did that every morning after 6 months of c section and then she was completely back to shape before her baby turned one. And my sister also did brisk walking every evening in treadmill for 40 mins. She really took it slow as she was breastfeeding till baby was 18 months and any drastic change in diet will affect the supply.

Your body needs extra calories and a lot of nutritional food to replenish your body and to supply your baby with good amount of milk. So, I suggest you to take it slow. Though I had a normal delivery and quick recovery I have 40 pounds to lose to get back to shape. :-(

I wish you good luck!!

1 person likes this.
  4. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Hi Vasumathy, sorry to hear you too are trouble with your abdominal muscles. Thanks for the wishes hope the same for you too. How is your recovery otherwise? Did you start any excersice yet? If you had c-sec do you follow anything specific or avoid any movements to not get this diastastis rectic?
    All the best wishes to you :)

5. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

@Sandya: thanks for replying to me and sharing your sisters experience, thats really sweet of you. Im glad to hear that you had a smooth delivery and recoverd well :) hope you and your little one are happy and healthy. It sounds good what you suggest and logic i will start to do the surya namaskar, i guess you are right and i need to be more patient with me when it comes to sport (i used to love to follow my sport regimen). It seems the experiences when it comes to the combination of breastfeeding and weight loss are really different as some lady´s told me i will reduce weight during the time i bf (like most of it first 6 months) and now another lady told me that due to the hormones which are released through the breastfeeding the weight loss process is a bit blocked and will hurry up once we stop bf.....anyways count me in.. mine stagnated after 2 months and i still have to loose like 10 kg (again need to be bit more patient with me) so we have similar way to go when it comes to weight loss...you have any plan how to do yet?

Good part is hubby is sort of blind he says im really pritty and in good shape.. poor fellow laugh1smiley really love him

1 person likes this.
  6. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Redruby, yes, I have thought of a plan which is a combination of dieting and exercise. Not a very strict diet as I do want to breastfeed as well. I will share that with you soon. It would be nice to have a partner:) Also let me know what you have thought about your weight loss journey. I am sure I will do better when I have a partner :2thumbsup:

I came home on day 3 after delivery and I did not feel any pain or discomfort from then. I just felt very very tired due to sleeplessness. But then after a week I felt pretty good as I got lost of rest after coming home. But both my mom and mil told me strictly not to start excercise before 3 months as mine is normal delivery. If it is c-section it is safe to start exercising after 6 months. So, am planning to start implementing my diet/exercise plan from Feb. And I am targetting to lose 40 pounds in 6 months. I am only 13 pounds extra to my pre pregnancy weight but I was overweight to begin with when I got pregnant; hence 40 pounds totally.

I sent you a private message. Do check when you get a chance :)

It is so cute what your hubby said. Same here :) My hubby too said that I look pretty (even after 40 lbs overweight :bonk)

2 people like this.
  7. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

hey girls.. to all of you.. Surya namaskar surely helps! but beware if you have no prior experience of doing yoga / learning it from a tutor. Search for post natal yoga and join the class with a suitable instructor for few months atleast, after which you can do yourself. This is an essential pre-caution so that you don't over do yourselves.

Or search youtube for post natal yoga,, I am sure there are some which you like.
    Take it slow!

1 person likes this.
  8. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Preethiitech - Thank you so much for your advice!! Yes, it is very important to learn and do it correctly.

@Redruby - I went for yoga class when I was in college and I have done surya namaskar before. So, please make sure you learn it from an experienced instructor. Moreover, do check with your doctor if you have healed completely after 6 months post delivery. If you are not sure wait for one year. Yoga and surya namaskar are highly beneficial but it you have not healed internally then it could cause adverse effects. So, please be careful. It takes time to heal internally from delivery. Take it slow. Take care!

1 person likes this.
  9. lakshmipriyas

lakshmipriyas Bronze IL'ite

Hi Redruby! I know your birth story bcoz am also in Aug due date club but a passive readergigglingsmiley Mine is a second c-sec, healthy girl baby delivered on Aug 15th.. For my first baby i reduced after Bf (18 months) since had unlimited meals prepared by my mom during BF and irregular sleep timings
    Anyways, now my doctor suggested me to walk for 5 - 10 mins a day and suggested to do very simple abdominal exercises... Following d same

1 person likes this.
  10. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi RedRuby,
    I found it very hard to sit in floor for 4 months after this C-section. Just trying to do it slowly.. I didn't do exercise till 4 months.. Started light ones now. Hope i will loose all the weight i have gained during and after pregnancy soon!
    Hope the same with you as well. Don't strain too much...
    Take care.

1 person likes this.